Landon Cohen anyone?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, Sep 27, 2013.

1. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    It looks like Bears are gonna sign Landon Cohen (27) for a DT spot. His last team was Dallas Cowboys, share ur thoughts
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Hmm, well good thing is that he has been under Marinelli until now and even worked with Tucker when on Jags
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +932 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    235ß
    Never heard of him, and honestly, I don't want to have to get to know him.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Is there actual talent or would this be another 'familiarity' signing?

Guess we'll find out if they do...
  6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He's been a fringe player since his entry who has managed to keep hanging around in some form or another. I'd prefer we go after some team's PS rookie and bet on upside, but he'll be inactive so it really doesn't matter. I wonder how David Bass will figure into the "dressed" rotation, if at all, with Minter stepping into the gameday roster.
  7. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    NOT LIKING It wasn't good enough for Monty & Rod ,... NOT Good enough for us
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    He's about as good as we're going to get dumpster-diving at this point in the season. No Pro Bowl guys waiting to be signed. You roll up your sleeve, reach into the toilet and try not to pull out a stinky one.

That's why I get a bit upset when folks talk like losing a Pro Bowl player like Melton "is no big deal" because he wasn't completely back from his injury anyway. They miss the point. He was getting better, and would have been solid player. Maybe even another Pro Bowl year. Ya gotta be a BIT patient when a guy is coming back from injury.

Losing a Pro Bowl player is a big deal.

People who don't understand that fact amaze me. They really do. It's total denial.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Okay. He is as good as we are going get. BUT is he really that much of an upgrade over what we already have?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    No. Sadly, no.

He's depth. These guys are out of work because they're floaters in the toilet.
  11. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If our short history holds, Emery won't make a move unless there's a solid reason.

A lot better than the previous regime that brought in players just cuz they were familiar with them. Now that always pissed me off.

Just for depth, guess we make do...
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Then save the money
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    They just need the depth now, and this is the best you can do. Sign some guy who's watching the NFL games at home in his lazy boy recliner. A guy nobody wants. But unfortunately, this is why it's sad when you lose a Pro Bowl player, and only have an UFA rookie (Minter) & a young journeyman player (Collins) backing him up.

Collins will do a decent job, but will be a mere shadow compared to Pro Bowl Melton. But obviously what happens if Collins goes down to injury? It's VERY early in the season. A lot can and will happen injury-wise. No way Minter is ready to play. He's really a guy you'd like to keep a year on the practice squad - at best. So you go out and sign a toilet guy for depth.

People here can spin this any way they want to but Melton > Collins > Minter > than the toilet guy.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    JABF, I'm not saying that losing Melton is "no big deal" or that his replacement(s) are going to be upgrades, of course not. I'd rather we still had Henry in there. But injuries are a fact of life in the NFL, every team deals with them, and we have been pretty fortunate so far compared to what Atlanta, Green Bay, and San Fran have had for instance.

Melton was NOT playing all that great. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have picked it up as the season went on if he had stayed healthy--no guarantee there either--but it does mean that he wasn't playing at a pro bowl level YET anyway. In fact, there were a lot of questions about whether or not Melton truly justified his PB selection last year. Obviously, Emery had his doubts too or he would have been handed a big LT deal like Briggs, Tillman, and Pep have. Same can be said of Cutler coming in who is also on a "prove it year" (and appears to be doing it which Henry wasn't yet). Imagine if Phil had locked up Melton with a large guaranteed deal....we would be up the creek big time right now.

The Landon signing is nothing more than depth and insurance. The main DLers still out there--Pep, Wooton, Collins, Paea, Shea--have to step it up and earn their current/future contracts. If this team wilts because one starter has gone down, then it wasn't very good to begin with. Crying over spilled milk doesn't accomplish anything.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    I agree with that. I don't think we're saying different things here. And I do understand that injuries are a part of NFL life. I'm just saying it's a big hit to lose a Pro Bowl player. And if Collins can stay healthy all season, we'll be ok. I think.

All injuries are not of equal damage to the team. Some hurt the team more than others. Losing a Pro Bowl defensive lineman is tough, especially since the defensive line wasn't playing that great anyway. Man, pray that we don't lose Collins this season, or we will be in a world of hurt. This Bears defense depends heavily on the DL being stout. If it isn't then the whole defense comes unraveled.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  16. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I want to see more of this David Bass. Shoot I want to see more of anyone on the 53man roster. You should be able to play if you are on the 53. If you can't then you don't belong on the 53.
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    They can all play. They have done so their whole lives. The problem is not all 53 play well.
  18. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Jackie = Banjo Boy ?
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +441 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Cohen is just a warm body to fill a vacant slot. I just hope they don't through any low draft pick out for some crazy long shot in the dark. Ask Angelo how that worked out...(oooh I'll be the 1st to say it, that was cold)
  20. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Richard Seymour is a fa, we couldn't talk him into playing????