Late rd Safety Jonathan Dowling

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 5, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +747 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    735ß
    http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/...d-steals-jonathan-dowling-fs-western-kentucky

The kids kinda flying under the radar to us fans anyway. I found him doing mocks and he is in the 200's on the big boards. But listed as fifth best FS at NFP.. All these safeties with 6.4 grades are going of the mock boards in rd 3 where other players at 6.6 and 6.5 are still avail. I realize its one sights opinion but if we do not take one early somebody like Dowling may be a surprise pick in rd 4 or 5 as he grades out with others who go in 3.

upload_2014-4-5_21-54-16.png
    for comparison grades here is SS
    upload_2014-4-5_21-56-7.png

http://www.wkusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jonathan_dowling_845144.html
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,862 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    I don't know if it's so much under the radar as it is that the kid may be a mental midget who has isn't all that coachable and has issues with authority. WKU is his third team so far. It seems he had breakfast at Alabama, then stopped off for a short lunch at Florida where they asked to leave the premises before finally settling for dinner at a Waffle House called Western Kentucky. I sense another Brandon Meriweather in the making. And then there's Nawrocki's last sentence. Seems we'd be going from the frying pan to the fire.

Jonathan Dowling
    SS Western Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grade
    5.25?
    • 4.52 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 8 REPS
      Top Performer
    • 33.5 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 118.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 7.04 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 4.24 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 11.56 SEC
      Top Performer
    Blue Star = Top Performer
    • 6'3" Height
    • 33 1/8" Arm Length
    • 190LBS. Weight
    • 9 1/4" Hands
    Overview
    Two-time First-Team All-Sun Belt. 2013: Played and started all 12 games. Led team with six forced fumbles. 2012: Played 12 games, started 11. Had three INT vs. Kentucky (most by a Hilltopper in a single game since 1978). Had 5 tackles vs. No. 1 Alabama. 2011: Sat out after transferring from Florida. 2010: Played two games at Florida before transferring to WKU. High School: No. 5 safety in nation (Scout). Misc: Dismissed from team at Florida by Urban Meyer for violation of team rules.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Has a rangy frame with room for added bulk. Excellent height and long arms to contend in the air and play the pocket. Good hands to snatch interceptions. Nice linear fluidity. Covers ground with long strides -- rangy off the hash to get over the top. Flashes striking ability when his shoulder blows connect. Playmaking ability -- 9 INTs and 8 FFs in last two seasons. Has special-teams experience covering kicks.

Weaknesses
    High-cut and lanky for a safety -- durability could be an issue and he needs to add body armor. Gets bullied in the box. Average eyes and instincts. Takes some inaccurate angles. Shoddy tackler with poor fundamentals -- hits too high, ankle-bites low or launches himself and whiffs. Talks too much and shows off-putting body language. Questionable mental toughness. Thinks he’s better than he is. Character, maturity and coachability should be looked into.

Bottom Line
    Lean, long-levered, smooth-muscled, finesse free safety with speed and range, though he’s more interested in hitting than securing tackles -- he does not provide dependability desired on the back end.

-Nolan Nawrocki
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,567 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    We've already got no dependability covered.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,862 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    Sure, but we have no depth at no dependability either.

You mean you really want to start the season with only one undependable? That's a very risky proposition you know. If we lose a starter we're completely at the mercy of using dependable players. I'm losing sleep just thinking about it. :4 8 2v[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,567 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    You think we are a scrub team or something? We try to cover all our bases! If you are going to do it, do it all the way.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,862 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    I was just trying to balance the budget. We already spent a lot on dependable which has left us very short of depth at undependable that's all.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,567 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    Oh... we are still plenty deep at undependable. You have to get a little further into the backfield.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,862 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    OK, if you say so. Then I'll take undependable off my board and just sign UDFAs to fill those spots. They're best at I anyhow.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,004ß
    meh you are talking a late round pass, if he has the ability hopefully w/the vets in the locker room they can straighten him out; if not you cut him w/no loss.