LB Position Main Thread..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 25, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,098ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    The more I read about Jones the more excited I get about this kid becoming a real steal as an UDFA. I'm somewhat in agreement with this article that he may well be the SLB in another year. Right now I like th idea of McClellin taking over at MLB, Bostic at WLB and this kid Jones at SLB each playing to their strongpoints.

Christian Jones doing his best to stand out

By ARTHUR ARKUSH - Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:01 p.m. CDT
    [​IMG]
    H. Rick Bamman - hbamman@shawmedia.com Bears linebacker Christian Jones during drills on the first day of training camp Friday, July 25, 2014 in Bourbonnais. (H. Rick Bamman)

BOURBONNAIS – The present focus in Bourbonnais on the Bears’ strong-side linebacker position remains Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic, the starters at “SAM” in the Bears' base and nickel defenses, respectively.

The future of the position, however, could be tied to Christian Jones, the 6-foot-3, 240-pound undrafted rookie out of Florida State.

It sounds far-fetched, as Jones continues to work with the third-string defense in training camp. He also continues to flash fluid movement skills and explosive athleticism daily, whether in one-one-one drills against smaller running backs, taking on blockers in team drills or on special teams, an area in which he’ll have to prove he can make a difference right away to make the team.

Jones, a consensus mid-round pick whose stock slid leading up to the draft reportedly because of a failed drug test, has a reputation for being a fierce hitter. It’s a trait he barely has been allowed to display in a camp focused on keeping players healthy – but he knows the time to showcase his physicality is approaching.

“I’m really looking forward to the preseason,” Jones said after practice Wednesday, “especially because lot of those guys passed on me, so it’ll be a great chance to go out there and shell out a little bit.”

In the meantime, Jones continues to receive positive feedback, including linebackers coach Reggie Herring, whose presence Jones noted as one of the main reasons he chose to sign with the Bears.

“He pushes me hard; he doesn’t just let me get by on my ability,” said Jones, who in practice is focusing on playing with good leverage – “hit high to low,” he said – and properly shedding blocks.

Watching Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs and veteran D.J. Williams, “walking playbooks,” according to Jones, has helped the undrafted rookie learn to play with the fast tempo coach Marc Trestman demands in practice.

Given his rare physical gifts, and the uncertainty at linebacker for the Bears, it wouldn’t be shocking if Jones became a contributor on defense sooner than later. First and foremost, he’s focused on absorbing as much as possible and translating it onto the field.

"Just keep progressing,” he said. “It’s the NFL – there are a lot of good players out there, a lot of competition – so what matters is how you take stuff from the meeting room to the field. I’m just trying to get better and bring it out to the field.”

2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    897ß
    I wasted time reading two different threads on why Briggs will retire as a BEAR when I only should have been reading one here as a post.

I dont have the time to read eveything everybody threads especially when its the same thread.

I thought we had this solved about threads by position.

I want to read everything that all BEARS fans post ...

but c'mon man the same thing over and over as a thread is stupid and a waste of all of our time.

Just make it a post in an already position thread during training camp.

Make up a position thread ... its not fuckin rocket science!

It sure would help us all.

3. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,098ß
    Look I posted one Briggs thread separately and then the newsman bot posted one after I did.

If it's just general news about players like this article about Jones I tend to stick those in these master threads but if it's a little unique and I don't want it buried on page three of a master thread then I'm gonna post a separate thread so kwitcher bitchin'.

Jackie around here no one has ever followed that "official thread" or "one thread fits all" crap they used to do on the CBMB and it's not gonna change now just because you want it to. Get used to it.

I'm not Steve Rosenbloom but deal with it anyway! :10 1 9[1]:

PS: And why are you ordering other members to open up position threads. Do it yourself if you want it done and see how many posters use that exclusively. Some will, some won't. We still live in a democracy and around here free will reigns or at least that which avoids the ban hammer does.

• Like Like x 3
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    897ß
    Ok ... lemme get started.

5. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,098ß

So you duplicate one like this we already have begun on LBs because you asked for it. There's also one on Safeties and TEs.

6. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    798ß
    Hopefully this hasn't been posted elsewhere. It's not an A level article, but it works to continue developing the Christian Jones narrative at training camp as a long shot blasted from a high powered rifle.

Here's another one of those articles about Jones. He's really starting to make a name for himself at least among the reporters covering training camp.
    Christian Jones turning heads with Bears

August, 1, 2014
    AUG 1
    3:25
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Undrafted out of Florida State, Chicago Bears rookie linebacker Christian Jones would seem to face long odds to make the roster.

But at this point, perhaps it would be a surprise if Jones doesn’t make the team.

“He’s a work in progress,” Bears coach Marc Trestman said. “You can see what he looks like out there. He’s a big, strong man who can run all day. He’s in great condition. He continues to learn and grow, and he’s certainly in the hunt each and every day to make the football team.

Jones thrust himself into that position by continuing to impress during workouts, going all the way back to the offseason, organized team activities and minicamps. In fact, by the time the Bears took the field for their last minicamp back in June, Jones had worked himself up the depth chart to the second team.

The question now is whether Jones can maintain the momentum. Through the first seven practices, Jones appears to be one of the most athletic linebackers on the team, and probably the only true strongside linebacker at the position.

“He’s showing he deserves the opportunity to work and practice, and it’s fun to see because he’s coming from a long way to put himself in this position,” Trestman said. “The athleticism is there. The explosiveness is there. The burst is there. The physicality is there. It’s evident that he’ll play that way. It’s just the learning process; there’s just so much for a young guy to know.”

• Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,098ß
    I'd love to see him at SLB next year with McClellin at MLB and Bostic at WLB. I still think those are gonna be their best fits.

8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    I keep harping on this guy as my number one darkhorse. A year ago he was thought to rank right up there with Mosley as the number one LB and a lock for the first round. FSU ran an unconventional 4-3 base this year on defense, explaining why he just showed 'flashes' instead of consistent, good play. Jones lined up as the Mike, Will, Sam, and a Jack linebacker last year. Showed he can do everything from covering guys one on one to lining up across from a tackle and rushing the passer. The combo of versatility and physical skill makes him likely on my list to find a use somewhere. He also played every single ST unit last year, Jimbo often uses his starters on key ST roles so he will have that going for him as well.

What really killed this guy's draft stock was his drug incidents. He flunked a drug test at FSU and then got a positive/negative at the combine. We may have gotten a very solid LB due to being a team player and moving around last year, as well as weed. If he can play, I can live with that.

I'm looking forward very much to seeing what he can do in PS games as I'm sure he will see some action somewhere. If he really works well with the coaching staff he could beat out Greene for the final 53 IMO. Any injury to DJ or Briggs almost gaurentees to me that he will be on our final roster too.

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    897ß
    I can write off the guys past ... whats he going to do for CHICAGO BEARS ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,098ß

Hopefully the relationship Herring has with is Dad will help. I think Herring has taken a special interest in seeing to it this kid gets every bit of help and coaching he can give him.

If the only problem he has is that he tokes a little weed and he realizes he can't do that in season in the NFL and even in the offseason he needs to keep it under wraps then he should be OK.

With any luck his old man showed him in black and white just how much $$$ those indiscretions cost him in terms of the difference between what even a mid round pick get as a bonus compared to what an UDFA gets. If he gets the point he'll realize that was some damn expensive weed.

• Like Like x 3