LB Position Main Thread..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 25, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,272ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I think you could be right on this. Especially about playing on his heels. I watched him more than any other player at training camp because I was just curious about him. What you describe is what I saw. It's like he's:

1. Reacting slow rather than being aggressive. An NFL LB has to be almost instant in diagnosing a play and then MAKING the play. There's no time to deep-think stuff.

2. I also noticed what you describe as not having confidence. Someone else called it swagger. He has nothing here. But that could change if he had a solid game and began to get some confidence back. QB's are famous for this. When they lack confidence their play reflects that. When they have the swagger (and talent too of course) they play like a totally different guy.

3. He has incredible physical gifts and seems (from all I read and hear) to be giving his heart and soul to doing what the coaches are telling him to do. It's not like he doesn't have the talent or drive. It seems to be a "head thing" as far as I can tell.

Sometimes (not always but sometimes) game reps can turn the light on in a guys head and he suddenly "gets it" and that is what I am hoping for with Shea. He was given a ton of reps last night, so I wonder if the coaches are thinking the same thing - game reps may help it all "click" and Shea can be more instinctive and just "react" to plays and have that reaction be correct most of the time. It's kind of like some rookie QB's when the game 'slows down" for them and they begin to play more instinctive rather than reactive.

#41 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    884ß
    I went back and watched the first half of this game on slow mode paying special attention to the defensive line and linebackers (with an eye on Shea). I have to say that I'm less upset with his play today than I was last night.

To start with, Shea played with the 1's during the first couple of series and this is where he looked really weak from a technique stand point - which is different from his inadequate play with at MLB where he was working on getting the play out and getting everyone set.

His major problem still seems to be shedding blockers. He gets engulfed which is a huge issue in this scheme. The D-Line did a good job getting pressure while covering their gap assignments. That puts the impetus to make a play on the LBs. Shea McC doesn't have the technique to take on a blocker appropriately. His shoulders get pinned in which prevents him from being able to shed to the side OR hand fight to get release so he just gets taken out of the play forcing the secondary to cover for him. With that said, DJ Williams has the same problem early on.

In coverage he looked better than I first thought. He's still trying to get a sense of space and when to release coverage but he didn't look terrible in coverage. He needs to continue learning depth perception and coverage assignments but he has potential here.

Later in the game when he was playing MLB, he still showed his inability to shed blocks. I think part of this, however, was not getting set right away. Multiple times (I counted 4) he was checking to ensure everyone was set just prior to when the ball was snapped. This prevented him from getting a jump on the ball where he could gain leverage. I think this was blatantly obvious in the play you described soulman:

I think the reason this occurred was because he wasn't set when the ball was snapped so he couldn't shoot the gap efficiently. Instead 76 got inside on him and drove him into the end zone. On that same play, Bostic got swallowed too and truthfully the entire D-Line got pushed 3 yards into the endzone. This was Shea's play to make, but he fucked it up.

Shea's main issues right now are three fold.
    The biggest issue he has is shedding blockers. He really needs to work on his technique here. He lets blockers get inside on him pinning him back. He needs to take on blockers with leverage and angle so he can either make a play on the outside angle OR so he can get out of the block completely to get back in the play. He also needs to work on hand fighting to prevent that inside block. This is the biggest area he needs to improve.

The second issue (priority wise) is understanding the system. Part of why he's getting swallowed up is because he isn't attacking. He has no swagger because he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing instinctively - he's thinking way too much out there. If he was attacking rather than being attacked he could get in position to shed the block and make the play.

Lastly, he has to get better in coverage. I think he outperformed my expectations here. He didn't have the right depth perception and intimate knowledge of coverage sets but he had some semblance of awareness of where to be. He looked better in coverage on most plays than did Bostic (which is really fucking disturbing). Bostic needs to pull his head out of his ass.

I think he can improve and I'm not dead set against him today like I was last night. At the moment, I wouldn't feel comfortable putting him in with the 1s as the SLB - I don't who the fuck I'd put in there as Bostic didn't look good and Jones didn't get enough reps for me to get a good sense of him. He's still worth watching and he might make strides.

Out of the four top LBS on the team - the only one who looked solid was Briggs. Briggs was explosive out there. He was in great position, looked quick, hit hard - I'm stoked about that especially with the injury from last year looming over him. That's very cool to see. He's still beastly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,121ß
    Good Breakdown B, but my concern again goes back to he's NEVER been able to shed blockers, he once someone gets there hands on him, he's ALWAYS been toast, and this was a major issue analysts of the Bears had when people thought he'd do better at LB, even at LB he still has to shed, and he's still not capable. Hope you and JABF are right and he can learn it, but I have my doubts.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    913ß
    Good points Soul. Free him up like Lawrence Taylor?

5. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Great analysis above, thank you.

Let's keep in mind that it was his very first "game" playing NFL LB. The coaching staff now has film on him in an actual full contact situation and Herring is highly thought of as a solid LB coach. Let's see what they can do with him technique wise. There should be improvement with each passing game this preseason. No need to panic yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. little bear

little bear
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,340ß
    Come on, Ric. Give him more time. Yes he he didn't look sharp last night, but let's not forget that it was his first NFL game as LB. He wasn't supposed to play like Clay Matthews or Ray Lewis.

Just be a little more patient my friend. :thumb:

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,272ß
    Outstanding post. I'm going to re-watch the game tonight too. But I think you nailed it with Shea. Now I'm really looking forward to the Jaguars (next preseason game). Let's see if there is improvement.

#47 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,272ß
    Ric, those are my concerns too (the failure to shed blocks). But I'm really hoping they can help him with this. It sounds like he does have a better position coach to work with him this year. If he fails to improve then he'll be gone. But I'm still holding out hope for him to improve.

9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,932ß
    Oh, NOW you tell us! Well then, mission accomplished. He played like neither.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ZifanQ

ZifanQ
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    efore reading please keep in mind that I can only assumed what plays we're running and I can only assume what coaches told Shea to do. I could be completely wrong about quite a few things here.
    Play # | What he did | Offensive play | Comment
    Play 1: Blitzing, PA RO PASS. Good gap control.
    Play 2: Cover 1 Man Cov, PA PASS, Shea should have taken RB, he was wide open on the play.
    Shea was taken out in our nickel package and replaced with a DB
    Play 3: Blitzing, RB dive - RB ran right into his gap and Shea did a good job of keeping his gap, He was actually blocked from behind which led to a moderate gain
    Play 4: Zone coverage, Pass - Shea was covering the hook to curl zone, Both our Mac and Shea dropped way too deep too early exposing a large part of the centre of the field allowing for a wide open tight end and a large gain of yards.
    For those of you who may not know what defensive zones look like THIS picture should give you a good idea, keep in mind that how wide/long the zones are change from coach to coach. It is entirely possible that our defence wants our LB's to drop 15 yards on a hook to curl. =
    Play 5: Blitz, RUN - Shea again blitzed the B gap, This run was actually towards Shea's side but there was a solid wall of defenders that made the RB dance around in the backfield and opt to the opposite side for a moderate gain.
    At 1st and 30 Shea was taken out for our nickel package.
    Play 6: Read/React, Outside Run - Run was to the opp side of Shea, he had good pursuit.
    Play 7: Read/React, PA Pass - Pass was to the opp side of Shea, If he was covering the TE the play did not last long enough for him to get open, If the TE had a few extra seconds he definitely would have been open.
    Play 8: C gap responsibility, Outside Power run - Shea did a decent job of engaging the blocker and shedding to make the tackle. Shea got both hands on the RB but just couldn't bring him down. If Shea had brought him down it would have been a ~3 yard gain over a first down (2nd & 7).
    Play 9: Flats zone, PA pass - Decent coverage by Shea, after settling in his zone he needs to look around to see what threats are around him, because he dint do this it allowed a receiver to stop right in-between his Flats and the Corners deep 1/3. To be fair to Shea it was just a perfect play call against Cover 3.
    Play 10: Hook to curl?, PA Pass - Pass was to opp side
    Play 11: Read/React, Dive - Needs better reaction time tho I can understand why he would be more patient with a heavy PA team like phily.
    Play 12: Man , PA Pass - This offensive play was similar to the Play 8, Shea came up early on it and once he realized it was a pass he took the RB. Very good play by Shea.
    Sanchez comes out
    Play 13: Blitz, Zone read - Blitz by Shea right into an open gap, unfortunately Shea missed the tackle in the backfield and allowed the RB to gain a yard, Had Shea made the tackle it would have meant a ~3 yard loss.
    Play 14: Hook to Curl?, 555 pass - Can't tell who was responsible for the TE on this play, Shea looked like he dropped too deep into his zone allowing the TE to get wide open 4 yards after the LOS, however it seemed like our DB was supposed to cover him but he slipped.
    Play 15: Blitz A, Dive - Shea gets no penetration on 3rd and 3 and gets driven back by a blind side TE blocking inside.
    TLDR:
    I think Shea still needs a lot of work especially when it comes to pass coverage. He was very inconsistent, one play he does great the next he allows a first down. I don't think he's used to taking on blockers that have a run start at him. He could end up being great for us but its going to take some patience by the coaches and fans.
    Let me know what y'all think

http://www.reddit.com/r/CHIBears/comments/2d3c7b/i_looked_at_sheas_first_15_plays_heres_what_i/
    Credit: Moh7

Pretty good and detailed view of each of the snaps. Thought I'd share it with you guys. Doesnt seem all that bad when you read this, some key missed tackles. Cmon Shea pls be an all-pro LB..

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2