LB Position Main Thread..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 25, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    918ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Actually the Jags are coming up next and yes I get them confused with the Panthers also.

What did TUNA do with Lawrence Taylor ?

He realized the dude didnt fit anywhere so he just let him lineup where he felt the play was coming from.

Worked out pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    Has anyone thought about moving Briggs to SAM where he can cover tight ends and sort through blocks and then putting Bostic in at WIL which I think is his best fit and letting his use his athleticism and speed to make plays.

Would be a big change but I just don't have a lot of confidence in McLellin.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    I did rewatch the game tonight. Nothing earth shattering noticed from what I thought I saw last night. Although it was really sweet to watch the two TE's Miller and Rosario play again. Both look really good, with Miller looking the better of the two, but both are pretty darned good this year.

Maybe I was a bit too hard on Palmer. He wasn't quite as bad as I thought last night. The OL didn't do him any favors. Clausen is the better QB though.

The LB's look pretty rough (other than Briggs). Shea and Bostic look pretty bad. ST's look just as bad as I thought last night. Bring on preseason game 2. We'll know more after that game.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Ok, I was staying away from the boards until I got a chance to watch the game recorded.

Shea's play was flat out disappointing. I really expected a decent/good year from him this year but this was not a good start. If Shea was just missing assignments, schematic errors, missed coverage ect. But his major problem as pointed out is his inability to shed blocks.

It's this simple, if he cannot keep an outside arm free and use an explosive rip/shimmy to get to his gap/defeat a block he cannot play LB in this league. Same thing as DE, as soon as he gets touched he either gets bogged down and mauled or just washed out of his gap.

If I were the Bills my offensive game plan would be to run ISO/G-lead at him 15 times. I know it's only the first game but dude has 3 weeks to figure out how to shed a block. Something he hasn't been able to figure out in 3 years...forgive me if I've lost some confidence.

If we get past PS3 game and this crap is still going on maybe a team would be stupid enough to give us a mid-late round pick for him and get something back on this botched pick.

Anyways, how about some positives. I think the rest of the LBs preformed above expected and I'm excited to see what they can do going forward. Don't sleep on Jones, I kinda hope we can see him a bit earlier against the Jags. Hell, throw him in there at Sam and see what he can do. Greene too, give him a shot.

• Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,880ß
    Glad you got a chance to watch him again in slo mo B-. Since I lack that ability all I can go off of is quick first impressions where he's pretty much the focal point of the play or it's very obvious what his assignment was. One like that goal line play you just highlighted as well. Where it's less obvious I have no way to go back and look at his technique. All I can do is make an educated guess that if he's doing it this way once he's doing it that same way all of the time.

99 seemed to be seeing similar stuff from him when he watched him in camp.

Yes it was his play to make on that TD run and if he shoots that gap even if he doesn't nail the guy he disrupts the play enough to make the back hesitate and disrupts his timing or forces him to change direction and maybe some one else makes the tackle. That's the whole idea of penetration and whether it comes from the 3 tech the NT or the MLB or the SLB one of them has to be trying to get into the back field to make that make a play before the back can even get read his blocks.

If you're seeing what I am then at least I know I'm not crazy when I make these observations.

So this goes back to what is that scheme asking of him? If McClellin isn't in attack mode 90% of the time we're wasting him because that's what he does best. With his build I don't know that he's ever gonna be a half way decent stack and shed LB. He doesn't have the upper or lower body strength to control a 320lb blocker like that. He's more lean muscle and sinew and built like an oversize SS more than a LB.

When he's on the move he's nearly unblockable but when he's rooted in one spot he may as well have a bulls eye painted on his chest. So my concern has far more to do with whether or not he's able to use his instincts to attack like he did in college (I saw a few of his games out here) or he's being asked to read too much and it's causing enough hesitation that he's not getting the jump on the play he needs to get.

I can accept the mistakes because to me he's still a rookie LB but if they're gonna keep misusing him or if he just doesn't fit in this defense as a 3 down LB then for cripes sake let him rush and blitz in sub packages and find someone else to play SLB. Bostic isn't the right guy for it either. I don't even think he's the right guy to be playing MLB but I do think he'll make a great WLB.

It seems to me what Emery has done is to draft some very fast athletic LBs who are all more WLB types in a 4-3 or 3-4 ILB type guys who need a two gapping line with a big space eating NT in front of them to keep them free of blockers. I guess I'm a little frustrated because I still don't see these guys "getting it" as far as playing in this type of defense.

6. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    One thing to add to this discussion about Shea - and I think it really applies to the whole 2nd team D- unit -is that they were playing against a high tempo, no huddle offense. For an experienced player, this can be a challenge (as we saw the first team struggle with on the 3rd play of the first offensive series where they had to call a timeout to get their shit together). This really applied to the second team defense - stacked with rookies and second year players - who just aren't used to getting set that fast. Add into the mix that Shea McC was making the calls at MLB with the second team and you have a recipe for disaster. I think this was a big reason why Sutton and Ferg were so slow off the snap and why Shea and Bostic looked lost.

As far as Shea's inability to shed blocks:

I guess I don't know enough about him as a player (historically) to assert a strong opinion about this. You are more knowledgeable than I am regarding the intricacies of football technique and so I'll take your word, but I would add that in any profession one should work on bolstering their weaknesses in addition to playing to their strengths. I think this is especially true in the NFL where teams need players to consistently perform. Consistency isn't going to happen from a player if there's a clear strategy for shutting him down.

• Like Like x 2
  7. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    We've spent a lot of time here talking about Shea McC, and I feel like his story is one that's stalled for at least 3 more days when he will get another opportunity to make the most of his situation.

Khaseem Greene, on the other hand, had a good game on Friday and in coming into his second year as a pro, might be ready to make steady strides. Mike Flannery did a good write up of the SLB position battle following PS1 and he had some positive things to say about the infrequently mentioned - especially positively mentioned, Greene.

Bears Preseason Week 1: Position Battles (Defense)
    by Mike Flannery
    Position: Strong Side OLB

Up: Khaseem Greene - The former safety from Rutgers is much better suited to the weak-side OLB position, but of the young backup LBs, Greene had the best day Friday. He had two tackles, including a nice open field tackle on Sproles and a right place/right time fumble recovery. Greene did a good job covering the flat and looked stronger and much more confident than he did last season. He is probably too small for the strong-side position but if he continues to outplay the other candidates for the position, Greene, the former 2-time Big East defensive player of the year, could find himself in the starting lineup.

• Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,157ß
    Of the young LB's Greene was by far the best looking, and I was glad to see it, where people give Bostic(for being a rook last year) and Shea(for his "1st year at lb) a bye, they seem to completely pass over Greene, he was a rook last year, and converted from S. I think the kid MIGHT have the tools to be a solid player for the Bears, might not be a starter(don't think that is in his future here) but I do think he's got a fair shot to at least out play Shea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    Bear's Practice Notes [linebacker specific]: Monday, August 11th

Starting linebacker Lance Briggs didn’t practice Monday, as he was given a veteran’s day off. In his place, linebacker Khaseem Greene took first-team reps next to Jon Bostic, specifically in the nickel package and in 7-on-7 drills.
    Shea McClellin — who struggled Friday in his first game action at linebacker — wasn’t with the first- or second-team early in practice but later took his turn at strong-side linebacker with the first team during 11-on-11 drills.

A less familiar name and face, Jerry Franklin took second-team reps at linebacker.

• Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,157ß
    team not happy w/Shea, but impressed w/Greene....no surprise there. What's going on w/Williams though, they know what they have and just letting him rest and let the young kids get the snaps?