LB's 2014 Mock Draft Thread a.k.a. I can do this too

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Apr 24, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    Let's assume Emery was lucky and found a trading partner like SF. Most DB members here would love to draft Donald at #14, but since we've already got four starting defensive linemen (Young, Houston, Paea, Allen), drafting a DT in the first is not a must. We need DL depth and we need a safety.

There's a good chance both Clinton-Dix and Pryor will be gone before we're on the clock. I thought about that and came up with two trade down scenarios.

1. Scenario:

Trade down to the 20-25 range and select C.J. Mosley, then the best safety available in the second (Buccanon, Ward, Brooks).
    Now we have 2 third-round selections and can pick a DT (Johnson) and a CB (Jean-Baptiste).

2. Scenario:

Trade down to the 25-32 range and select the best safety available, hopefully Buccanon - some experts believe he'll go in the first.
    2nd round: LB Shayne Skov
    3rd round: DT (Johnson) and CB (Jean-Baptiste)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. little bear

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    7. Mock

This one is really really thinking outside the box and will never happen but you guys gotta agree, it's hard to pass on a guy like Evans when he's still on the board at #14.

Besides Marshall is getting older and who knows, maybe in a couple of years, Jeffery and Evans could be our starting WRs. Sounds awesome, right? :rofl:

WR MIKE EVANS

TEXAS A&M
    S LAMARCUS JOYNER

FLORIDA STATE
    ILB SHAYNE SKOV

STANFORD
    DT DAQUAN JONES

PENN STATE
    QB AARON MURRAY

GEORGIA
    CB BENNETT JACKSON

NOTRE DAME
    DE JOSH MAURO

STANFORD
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I do not mind trading down, just need more compensation the further you drop. Trading with the Browns might get 26th and 35th I believe they have. Trading with SF down to 30 would want extra 2nd and prob 2 picks in 3rd as they can not give a top 2nd round pick. With SF you get the picks but later in the rounds so need better Trade Value. But if the Value is there and the Depth at positions we need, having extra picks to strengthen the O- side is not out of the question
  4. little bear

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    8. Mock

S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX

ALABAMA
    DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY

FLORIDA
    QB TOM SAVAGE

PITTSBURGH
    TE C.J. FIEDOROWICZ

IOWA
    CB WALT AIKENS

LIBERTY
    DE MICHAEL SAM

MISSOURI
    ILB JEREMIAH GEORGE

IOWA STATE

9. Mock

CB JUSTIN GILBERT

OKLAHOMA STATE
    DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY

FLORIDA
    S AHMAD DIXON

BAYLOR
    ILB YAWIN SMALLWOOD

UCONN
    DE ED STINSON

ALABAMA
    RB ANTONIO ANDREWS

WESTERN KENTUCKY
    QB TAJH BOYD

CLEMSON
  5. little bear

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    10. Mock

Back to the Aaron Donald bandwagon. ^^

DT AARON DONALD

PITTSBURGH
    S TERRENCE BROOKS

FLORIDA STATE
    QB ZACH METTENBERGER

LSU
    ILB MAX BULLOUGH

MICHIGAN STATE
    CB WALT AIKENS

LIBERTY
    TE JOE DON DUNCAN

DIXIE STATE
    DE JOSH MAURO

STANFORD
  6. little bear

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    11. Mock

Really like this one. Hard to pass on G Brandon Thomas in the fifth-round. Give him some time to heal from his injury and he's one of the best offensive linemen in this draft.

OLB ANTHONY BARR

UCLA
    S DEONE BUCANNON

WASHINGTON STATE
    DT KELCY QUARLES

SOUTH CAROLINA
    QB A.J. MCCARRON

ALABAMA
    G BRANDON THOMAS

CLEMSON
    CB DONTAE JOHNSON

NORTH CAROLINA STATE
    DE JOSH MAURO

STANFORD
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    We have Bostic for that. And Mosley is a Will in a 4-3 most likely, but a better fit at 3-4 ILB. If he somehow fell to the 2nd, then yeah for sure but I just can't see how this makes any sense at 14.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    Cannot count on Bostic for anything ,cannot write him off, but cannot count on any of the young LB's right now, none are sure things,
    Concerns are the hip and knee inj, but everything says he's fast and can cover a lot of ground and can cover TE's or RB's and is smart and has good instincts. Actually most sites I'm reading consider him better suited for 4-3 OLB but could play 4-3 or 3-4 ILB. Every site I've read said he's CLEARLY the best LB in the draft and is EASILY a top 10 talent, although he'll probably drop to the latter half of the draft. B/R which I've found to be one of the hardest on these kids said he's an instant every down player, there isn't one young lb on our squad you could say that about.
  9. little bear

Ratings:
    +996 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    Here's one kid I wouldn' mind picking up as UDFA. Good hands and very athletic and versatile.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trey-burton?id=2543577

WR/TE Trey Burton, Florida

[​IMG]
    • 6'2" Height
    • 31" Arm Length
    • 224LBS. Weight
    • 9 3/8

Overview
    Versatile player saw time at quarterback, fullback, tight end and wide receiver. 2013: Moved to wide receiver full time. 2012: Played in 12 games and made four starts. 2011: Played in 13 games and made seven starts. 2010: SEC All-Freshman Team pick after seeing action at quarterback, fullback, tight end, wide receiver and on special teams.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Very good athlete. Natural hands-catcher. Catches in stride and adjusts very well to the flight of the ball. Keeps working to uncover and has a good feel for zones. Good route runner. Sets up defensive backs and can create some separation out of his breaks. Can make the first tackler miss and is fairly elusive. Versatile and has played every offensive skill position. Football smart -- understands offensive concepts and how the pieces fit together like a former quarterback. Outstanding personal character and will represent a team with class. Is tough and durable and will play through pain. Willing, effective special-teams contributor. Highly competitive team player.
    Weaknesses
    Has short arms and is very undersized for a tight end. Lacks run strength and does not power through tackles or create much yardage after contact. Marginal blocking strength and overall length to sustain and can be overwhelmed. Lacks top-end speed to mismatch safeties.
    Bottom Line
    A savvy, athletic, undersized H-back who was utilized in a flexed receiving role in the Gators' offense. Has the athletic traits to earn a living working detached out of the slot as an 'F' tight end. Can offer a creative offensive coordinator a versatile jack-of-all-trades gimmick weapon.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Thats pretty much what the reports on Bostic were as well. The fact of the matter is this is a piss poor MLB class so someone may try to pound a square peg into a round hole and force feed him at MLB. Hope thats not us.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    They've said Mosely is a better linebacker prospect than Khalil Mack? I'd have to disagree.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    Disagree w/Walter/B/R/NFLdraftgeek/FFToolbox and so on, I'm just reading what they are saying.

That is not what they were saying about bostic, B/R had him as a 3-4 2 down ILB or a 4-3 ILB but stated 4-3 ILB was not optimal; that is not what they are saying about Mosely. FFToolbox said he was not fluid in coverage and only had average range and only average ability to read and react to pass/run plays, and Walter had him as a good 2nd day value pick that needed to work on his pass coverage.

So no the scouting reports aren't even close to comparing Bostic and Mosely.
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    Bleacher Report has Mack as the best linebacker in the draft.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with Mosely being drafted at 14 though. That depends on who else is available though.
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I think you missed the point. I'm not saying Mosley is the same talent wise as Bostic was, clearly he is better. They way the both played in college scheme wise, and style wise are very similar. Mosley has a large advantage in pass pro, no disputing that. But both excelled as downhill playmakers who were always around the ball and both noted for taking on blocks and TFLs. Well, we saw how that went in year one and LBs like that are mostly going to be great Will LBs not Mikes. Also according to people at Bama they explained the dropoff in numbers from Jr year to Sr year was due to him calling the defense and being slowed down by that. How well will that work if he plays MLB?

The class at MLB frankly is terrible. Mosley is the clearcut best and if we had a need at Will then would be more appealing. At Mike? Borland is probably the best true Mike and that isn't exactly saying a whole lot.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    I just as soon skip MLB in this draft all together. I think we can get by fine with Williams if he stays healthy...and like I said...I'm mildly intrigued by Shea.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    I don't look at him as a MLB though Butkus, I'm looking at a WILL replacement for Briggs next year, and possibly this year.

Grizz see above, I don't see Bostic or Mosely as MLB's, at least not s tarting. Mosely is a FAR better prospect then Bostic was, they aren't even in the same class of LB Bostic had some glaring weaknesses, and the primary problem w/Mosely is his inj history.

I don't want him as a first option, but if somehow Donald and the S's are gone I'd perfer him over Nix/Hagemen or a deep reach for a 2nd round S.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    my two pennies:

I am on board to give the Bostic and Greene another year with some solid coaching and see what improvements they have. If a great value pick falls to us and nobody else there of value then I take a MLB or OLB even. If we have DT and S in the first two rounds I would take best value between CB, RB, TE and MLB. Skov is the most intriguing but if RD 3 rolls around and RB Carlos Hyde is there and Skov is there it would be a tough call for me. I did not include TE as I think Lyerla in 5 or 6 is best value, I am presuming Niklas will be gone.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I'm not saying I wouldn't want him, just not at 14. It's extremely unlikely that all 3 are gone by 14 but if so then I would understand it on a BPA basis. Just think the chances that Dix, Donald, and Pryor all being gone is about a 2% chance. Now if the injury concerns drives him into the 2nd round I wouldn't mind a small jump up to take him. But for now we have a backup will who is probably 2 years away from being labeled a bust and bringing in someone else. If Mosley was out there last year I'm almost positive he would have looked equally as bad as Bostic and the rest of the entire unit. Let's see what he can do with a decent unit and new coaching before drafting a first round replacement after his first year.
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    I can see your point...I just feel like we need a guy who is gonna start day 1 for us in round 1.