Let's talk punter

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by lklrlolnlilklsox, Apr 28, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    Yes, I do believe all that crap.

Example. Imagine the worst punter in the history of the NFL is playing for the '85 Bears. Do you honestly believe the team would have lost more than just one game because of him? No.Fucking.Way!

Yes, field position is important, but not as important as a decent defense. Period.

We could've had the best punter in the league, we still wouldn't have made the playoffs last year.
  2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Lol we are so bored we are arguing about punters.....I love you guys and SCREW THE WATER PERSONS!!!!
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    It's the offseason, buddy. :lol 027:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,241 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    I don't think that anyone on this board doesn't know football 101-2-or 3. I would go with getting a good not great punter and use the remaining resources for depth or development player(s).
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    I think you are arguing a different point and your first post gave the wrong impression. Nobody is saying a punter is more important than an entire defense. Your statement that a good defense makes a punter irrelevant was, and still is completely wrong.

And the worst punter in NFL history? Yeah its entirely possible he would cost the 85 team a game. I'm too young to remember specifics of that season but a botched snap, punt off side of foot, blocked punt all could have potentially changed a game. Field position is everything, no matter how great your defense is if you constantly are giving them a short field the unit is going to give up more points. A great punt that is downed or (Lost art and I dont understand why) coffined inside the five takes 80% of an opponents playbook out for the first few plays.

Anyways, I think we may be arguing two different angles of this.
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,241 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    Quick, someone expound on the Seachickens punter. He' s good not great, let's go with that.
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    C'mon now, lets not be silly. Imagine a great defense who always has their opponent backed up inside their own 20. Now this great defense not only probably had a great shot to stop them with a regular field position, but now they've got an even better shot and depending on where the ball is perhaps even a chance at a safety. Rather than imagining the worst punter in the history of the NFL playin for the '85 Bears imagine Ray Guy playing for the Bears. Probably would have had even more blow outs, shut outs, sacks and safeties.

Imagine if our offense was always INSIDE the 20 when they started. Not at the 20 or further down the field, but backed up to the point you worry about a safety with the wrong breakdown of a play? I would be so damn miserable starting over there all damn day. Football is still a game of inches and if you force your opponent to fight their way down the field 80+ yards every single drive it's going to be so much more difficult for them to score.

As Grizz said, no one here is saying that the need of a good-great punter outweighs the need of having a good defense. But having a good-great punter helps every facet of your team. The defense gets to attack offenses with only portions of their playbook (as Grizz pointed out) and your offense (providing your defense stops said offense) will have the ball with stellar field position. If you've got your opponents pinned back like that with consistency your offense is going to reap the benefits of the other side of the coin, having awesome fuckin' field position.

I love developmental players and grabbing stars in later rounds, and as someone else said I don't know a damn thing about the punters of this class. But if we can get a stellar punter, someone who'll be around for years and a master of the coffin corner? Sign me up.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    Thats one thing I don't get. The coffin corner has all but disappeared from the game and instead they just try to sky the ball and allow someone to run under and catch it. We all have seen the number of things that can go wrong and end up a touchback even on a great punt. Wonder why punters don't really work on the coffin corner, if ya hit it right its a sure thing.

Just a random "the draft needs to get here tomorrow" thought.
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I noticed that as well. I understand when you've got a punter who can't nail it consistently to try for skying the ball but you'd think with all the amazing athletes coming through we'd have some punters who can just put it wherever they want. I was browsing the scouting reports for the top three punters and one of them (can't recall which) had a note in his analysis about his ability to do the coffin corner. Perhaps in time it'll come back?
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    I think it will. I've noticed the success of those skyballs seem to be going down. ST coaches I think have figured out ways to combat it. I see alot more of returners running interference with the gunners and/or falsely calling a fair catch in the wrong spot to deter the gunners. IMO if a punter could consistently above 70% coffin the ball inside the 20 from 60 yards and less, then it would be invaluable to the team.