Lions game plan is no secret. Get to Cutler...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    Nick Fairley: Lions can hit Cutler, get him off his game
    Posted by Michael David Smith on September 28, 2013, 6:36 PM EDT
    [​IMG] AP
    Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley says the game plan on Sunday is simple: Hit Jay Cutler early and often.
    Obviously, every defensive lineman wants to hit every quarterback every week. But Fairley sounds particularly eager about what the Lions can do to Cutler in Sunday’s machup of the first- and second-place teams in the NFC North.
    “That’s every week,” Fairley told the Detroit News. “Any quarterback we play, that’s our goal, to hit him early and try to get him off his game. We’ve got a good game plan coming into this one. I think we’re going to be able to do that early.”
    Cutler has been sacked just three times in three games this season, putting him on pace for by far the fewest sacks he’s had in any of his seasons in Chicago. Fairley says Cutler is doing a good job of getting his passes off quickly, but the Lions still think they’ll have opportunities to hit him.
    “We know coming into this game that they’ll be three steps and getting the ball out real quick,” Fairley said. “As a defensive line, we can’t get down on ourselves. Just continue to rush real hard knowing the one time he holds that ball is the one time we are going to get there and take him down.”
    Taking Cutler down is the Lions’ best chance of improving to 3-1 and joining the Bears atop the division.

Actually, based on previous games, anyone that has watched the Bears and Cutler knows that hitting Cutler early and often is a good way to win games against the Bears, so it is a good game plan. However, I think they will find that it is not going to be as easy as it once was.

And I heard a recent Cutler interview where he spoke about it taking a little time to get used to not hearing ghosts, so he really was playing with part of his mind focused on his being a red spot in the dirt. It's good he realized it and it's good that he is trying to reverse it. Those are good signs for the future.

As far as a game plan, yes... they have a good game plan and I would expect nothing less. The question is can they do it? That is going to determine the game. They know it and we know it. Let's play ball and find out.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Pull string gun go boom (reference to my days in the field artillery).Duh, getting to Cutler is a gameplan?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    LOL! Hey, this is the Lions we are talking about. That is about as good a game plan as they have.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    331ß
    I can't believe Detroit let this top secret information out. Look now it's all over the net Bears are in trouble. Where's J Webb when you need him, Emery screwed up big time. :10_4_1[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Looking at Fairley's face, I think he may well be the brilliance behind their plan this week.
  6. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    Anyone looking at the last 3 years of tape on the Bear offense would have getting to Cutler high on their priority.

I am sure that both Cincinnati and Minnesota had that as part of their defensive game plan as well.

How does Detroit's DL rank in comparison to Cincinnati's? I am sure the the Lions are better than the Vikings. But I am not sure that Suh and company are that much better than the Bengals. Not predicting that Jay will be untouched tomorrow but I don't think he will be under that much pressure. Actually I am more worried about the Bear's D stopping Stafford.
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Cutler has never looked good when they put him on his back like a whore.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    We can laugh all we want, but it's true. Both teams know it. If they can pound Cutler into the turf all day we lose. Game over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We've got some good dudes on the line now, I'm looking forward to seeing Suh getting the doughnut.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    People talk about how tough it is to play at Lambeau, but the Ford dome is a tougher test for our OL. Our OL had 9 false starts there in one game. The place is deafening. The DL of Detroit is probably the best we will face all year. If our new OL can perform well at Detoit, then GB will be an easier DL and environment to face. Yeah, tomorrow is one huge test for the OL.......and Cutler for that matter. He has to make great decisions to help out the OL. Get the ball out of his hands quick, and he has to protect the football. None of this fumble stuff......and just chuck the ball out of bounds if nobody is open.
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    +! JABF. I agree playing at the Silverdome is much tougher than the Lambeau dump site.
  12. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    It definitely reduces the chance of a victory, I'll give you that. But wasn't it last year that Cutler was sacked 7 times in two games, and yet we won those contests. I like the Trestman approach of prior performance is no guarantee of future returns, but the fact is Cutler has owned the Lions so far. Hopefully that continues tomorrow.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I see no way we win this game if Cutler is pounded into the turf all day. Worse, it risks injury to Cutler if he's being slammed to the turf all day. He's a high mileage body right now, due to the abuse of not having an offensive line in Chicago (until this year). He is also in his 30's now. His body won't hold up as well as it did when he was young.

One of those body-slams by Suh MAY be all it takes to end his (and the Chicago Bears) season for 2013 - and give Detroit 2 wins over Chicago this year. Because without Jay Cutler, we don't win today against Detroit - and we don't win against them in the 2nd matchup later in the season. Detroit knows this.

I agree with the OP. The Lions game plan is no secret. Pound Cutler early and often into the Ford Field turf. That will = win for Detroit. They know it. We know it. We need an epic performance by the OL (and Cutler helping them out by getting the ball out quick, all day long....and protecting the ball).
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    Its a BLADE that cuts both ways ... we can do Stafford.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Cutler was pounded in the past by the kittens and how did that work out for them ?
    THEY LOST !
    Now having said that remember that we have a NEW "O" line and some NEW weapons for Jay to play with. The line will keep Jay protected and the kittens will have NO answer. Bears win BIG !
    ;)
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    The play calling is really superb right now (Bears just scored after the Alshon reverse & Forte run). This helps negate the Detroit DL push up the middle.
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Cutler sucks. Just giving this game away. It baffles me how incredibly inconsistent this guy is as a QB.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    We've given up 30 first half points and it isn't even half time!!!

It's "men against boys" right now. We're getting schooled by a better team. Hope we see the team settle down. Pretty ugly right now. We suck on special teams, defense and offense. The Detroit Lions are better in all three phases now.

Big blowout if we don't get the bleeding stopped now.
  19. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Worst part about it is the Bears offense is either tuning the ball over or going 3 and out. You can't expect the Bears defense to hold series after series. This was a game where the Bears offense needed to be able to score some points. And its just another game that reminds me how Cutler is not the right guy to lead us.

I'm willing to bet Cutler plays worse from this point forward in this game, as he's probably crawled into mental fetal position by now.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    It will be interesting to see if he can refocus. Suh just blew Long out like he was a rag doll to sack Jay. Looks like Jay may be a bit hurt from the Suh tackle.

Men against boys.