Lions: McCown or Cutler

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Who should start next week?

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Cutty says he will be back next week against the Lions and Suh.

Should Cutler be given the reigns back because he is the more talented QB?, or should the Bears ride the "hot hand" with McCown?

Is it too soon for Cutler to return from a torn groin knowing that Suh shows no mercy?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,403 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,586ß
    IF Cutler is healthy enough to play, he should be playing, end of story.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,559 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    Jay Cutler, absolutely.

All I ask of Jay is that he starts looking for the check-down more often. If he can play the ball more conservatively, we'll have a much better chance against the Lions.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +964 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Jay needs to play ONLY if he's 100% which he is not..

He might be playing more for a contract extension, than the teams interest.

Sit Jay until he's really ready.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    There is no QB Controversy as far as I'm concerned.

If Cutler is 100% then he's the starter VS the Lions. He deserves to be the starter...he's the better QB and it's his job.

With that said, because McCown is playing so well, I don't rush Cutler. if Jay is anything less than 100% I keep him out until he's healthy so as not to risk re-injury.
  6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +725 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    Docs said 4 to 6. I go with that timetable, not Dr. Marshall's.

[​IMG]

The injury may be healed enough for everyday use, but step on that football field and the next sack or scramble may just finish the job, and tear that muscle the rest of the way.

McCown plays next week.
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I tend to believe that cutler is not fully recovered, we are back in the race and we do not need him to re injure his groin because I would like to continue to pretend that we have a chance to win it all.

Besides, I think that Cutler can learn a little by watching.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +311 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    139ß
    In position as we are at the moment i would go with Cutler, if hes certain hes ok, but if he starts slow as usual I would put Josh in the second half. You know, talking about qb preparation, this will not be pleasant for Lions, because these 2 are utterly different
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,771 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    Jay Cutler, for two reasons:

1. We need to see Cutler play as many games this year as possible, to see if Trestman has exorcised "Bad Jay" before we give him "The Big Payday" and facing that Detroit Dline is a good test for Jay.
    2. We have a good backup QB in McCown. But remember the key word is "backup" here. He doesn't give us our best chance to win. Jay does.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    McCown. He has not thrown an interception in two games. Try and ask Jay for it.
  11. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    318ß

McCown because there is NO way Jay is going to be 100% just 3 weeks after TEARING his groin. Sorry, but I ain't buyin' it. I am afraid he is going to SELFISHLY come back too soon, and his performance is going to suffer because of it. Vick tried to return after 2 weeks from a pulled hammy, and promptly played like s*** against the Giants, before he was forced to exit the game due to...you guessed it, the balky hammy. I REALLY do not want to see Jay make the same mistake. For God's sake, McCown is a capable backup (in certain instances, the offenses plays MORE efficiently when he is in the game), so let him play until Cutler is actually FULLY-HEALED. From the team's perspective, what is the freakin' rush?!!
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,418 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    437ß
    Exactly. Forte is a beast of a weapon (and Bush ain't bad either) as a 5 yard dump off receiver than can turn it in to 10 or more on occaision by making someone miss. Too often Jay turns his nose up at that and risks a downfield throw when it isn't necessary.

We also really need to D to tighten up against the run. Can't let Reggie get 150 again.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,418 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    437ß
    First of all, it will be 3 weeks not 2 by this weekend. But I agree that they shouldn't start Cutler if he's gimpy. If he's 100%, of course it's Jay's game.
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    318ß

THIS ^^^^^^^ I fear he is rushing back for "his own reasons", and if he is completely ineffective because of it, I am going to be angry! :mad::mad::mad:

McCown has proven that he is MORE than capable in this offense. LET him play until Cutler is truly 100%.
  15. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Cutler all the way. Yea McCown has outplayed Cutler when it comes to playing against the Packers but this time Bears also had an Oline which could give protection unlike Webb..

Cutler is more clutch imo when it comes to 2 minuts drills and long passes but McCown did a hell of a good job that evening...
  16. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,850 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    I came to this side of the board just to see if this stupid thread/question was going to be here. lol

The only thing that saves this thread is it is Lions game specific.

But if both are 100% ... if you say McCown you are an idiot.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß
    I don't think the Bears let it leak that Cutler might be back next week, if they could choose, after the win last night. I tend to think Cutler isn't ready, and so should sit.
  18. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I want Mccown to play against the Lions, Cutler needs to rest completely until he's 100% so he can be ready for the playoffs.
  19. gammabears

gammabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    McCown for two reasons. Only play Jay if he's 100% after a groin tear and the other reason is go with the hot arm. Which is McCown.
  20. phatdude

phatdude Veteran

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I want to take this thread in a slightly different direction, but first I'll vote. I vote for McCown. I'm no sports therapist but a torn groin with only 3 weeks out seems drastic to me. At least when it comes to playing NFL football. In theory you can play Cutler, and if he gets hurt then just put McCown in. BUT why risk Cutler?

Now for the different direction: I'm the biggest supporter of Jay's, BUT seeing McCowns last two performances, is there something OFF with Jay? Is he just not as teachable as other QBs? He had more games this year than not where he did really well, but we have seen the "imfamous old Jay" show up. Granted I don't like the term "Old Jay", but maybe it is true. Or maybe he's unteachable? In his game against Washington he was sucking the first quarter then got injured. Then all of a sudden McCown comes in rusty as can be and holds his own. We would have actually won if it wasn't for our D. A bye week later McCown holds his own again against GB.

So like the title says: McCown or Cutler?
    We can rule out the O-line. They are 180 better than last year. We can rule out Trestman. The only remaining factor is Jay. If "bad" Jay shows up with a tender groin we will be destroyed. If good Jay shows up, then we will do well. However a "bland" McCown might be getting better and might be able to play well against the Lions. Tough call.

Isn't there any spies out there that know if McCown or Jay are practicing? This might hint at who will play, or at least if they really think Jay is ready.