Lions: McCown or Cutler

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Who should start next week?

1. Jay Cutler

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Josh McCown

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  1. Moth

Moth

Picked McCown, only because I have a hard time believing that Cutler will be 100%
  2. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot

McCown-regardless of the injury, even if Cutler is %110. In my opinion the position is his to lose. Why?
    1.) If Cutler gets back in there and has a moderately good season then we're looking at $16 mil to keep him around...I could never justify that for a mopey, injury prone, poor decision making qb with a good arm who has never won the BIG game his entire life. This is the perfect opportunity for the bears to get out and draft an awesome prospect who could be groomed into trestman's system by somebody who has taken akin to it.
    2.) The Bears just beat the Packers at Lambeau on Monday Night Football which leads to my next point
    3.) Even if you think Cutler is more talented as a qb, this is a team game and for some reason McCown gets his teammates motivated...I haven't seen a Bears team that jubilated since the Mike Brown days-was Jay Cutler smiling? The Bears beating the Packers in Green Bay, was he even happy about it? Lance Briggs was screaming and laughing. McCown would have been dancing on the field if he hadn't played a minute and the bears won. Cutler is in it for the $. McCown is in it because he genuinely loves it. Do you think Cutler would ever coach high school football?

All that being said, if McCown comes out against the Lions and bombs then the decision is made, even if I don't like it-but if the Bears beat the Packers and Lions consecutively behind McCown then we'd be idiots to want to see Cutler back on the field.
  3. strockrocks

strockrocks

-was Jay Cutler smiling? The Bears beating the Packers in Green Bay, was he even happy about it?

Actually, besides the game itself, one of things that impressed me most was Jay being so participative on the sidelines. And yes, he was smiling often; something he rarely does when he's playing. What a great experience for Jay to stand by Trestman the whole game, watch and learn, and support his good friend, Josh. And yes, I'm pretty sure Jay was extremely happy they won; even though he didn't play. The team is just as motivated with Cutler behind center, as well as Josh. The team absolutely loves Josh. He's a valuable back-up for sure.
  4. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot

^^^Well, I hope you're right...because if McCown comes out and smokes the Lions Cutler's gonna need to get used to the role of backup qb. My fingers are crossed.
  5. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

if healthy, Cutler. If not, McCown
  6. Trackguy

Trackguy

I abstained from voting because it's dependent on Cutler's health...which none of us know. If he's ready to go, of course you go with him.

I'm happy McCown has played well. But so has Cutler. Over a longer sample period.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. A-11

A-11

Do not underestimate Jay's role getting Josh ready... I do not see how this question addresses any serious issue other than Jay's health.

Josh won my admiration, played well, and I thought he deserved the game ball Monday. Let's not get crazy now.

Cutler is a smart fella. Like some other's have mentioned I hope he picked up on all the reasons why he doesn't have to showcase all his god given (and well polished) talent. Save that for when it is needed, you can't win the game yourself. Protect that pig.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

If he plays this weekend, then apparently Derrick Rose is the only athlete that heals at a "normal pace".
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. BearsWin

BearsWin

I agree with this, if Cutler is 80%, I go with McCown. No players are 100% at this point in the season, but unfortunately, it is difficult to "wrap" a groin injury. Also, with the D-Line that Detroit has, the QB will have to scramble and will get sacked. I would rather Culter be a week healthier before having to deal with that. I may list him as the back-up or emergency, in case McCown gets hurt. I am conflicted by that.
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Basically the question is based on Jay's health. But also factoring in that even if he is 100%, fresh off the recovery table that muscle likely is still a little tender. Suh will show no mercy.... Well less than any other player. He hates Jay, and will stop at nothing to reinjure him
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Good point. And if Jay is not able to be mobile, he'll get beat like a drum by this DL. We'd risk losing Jay for the season.
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Jay Cutler said on his radio show that they aren't exactly certain he'll be able to play this week.
  13. mdbearz

mdbearz

Josh does have the ability to scramble, and i think that just might come in handy against the Detroit D-line.

You also raise a good question about Jay being listed as the Back-up or the Emergency QB. I would assume that he will be either listed as the Starter or inactive and palmer would be the back-up. But I'm not sure.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Suh is going to be disappointed if Jay can't come and play on Sunday. He looks forward every season to throwing him around like a rag doll.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Coach says let the doctors decide whether Cutler is ready. If they certify him good to go,then play him.But be ready with McCown if Jay is not getting it done. This is a very critical game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Jay seems pretty skittish against Detroit now. He had 3 ints and 3 sacks & a QB rating of 65.6 in the last game we lost there earlier this season.

He gets bigtime "happy feet" with "Suh and the Boys" pounding him into the turf. If he does play, he's going to have to get the ball out of his hands in a heartbeat. And if he will have limited mobility due to the groin injury, it will be fatal to put him in Sunday. He'll just be Suh's "boy toy" all day (or at least until he gets injured again).

In fact, even if we start McCown, we'd better have the new guy ready to roll out for some Suh "playtime" if McCown gets broken. Suh has been known to break his toys mid-game.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy

Before the GB game the mentioned that Jay was ranked #4 in QBR this year and he was 20-something last year. And ignoring stats and just watching the games, it is quite clear to me that he is learning a lot from Trestman...

Is he as teachable as others? probably less than some and more than others. Is he "teachable" still? Based on his improvement over last year, clearly.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

I agree, but I think it will be a process. It isn't easy to suppress a lifetime habit with the gunslinger attitude. Hopefully watching McCown the last 2 games has flipped a switch and Cutler might start to realize that being a good QB is more than just having a good arm. It's become clear to me that Jay has been audibling out of T-mans calls and throwing too many passes. McCown's been running what T-man gives him and it's been pretty even pass/run, and very much more effective for the gameplan.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy

Agreed. However, I would guess that McCown doesn't quite have permission to audible out of play calls like Cutler does (I could very well be wrong...). McCown may know the offense... but not as well as Cutler does. I can think of a couple plays where McCown probably wished he could have audibled after seeing the coverage... and one in particular ended up being a TD to Marshall... that rush came hard and he hung in there anyways and made it happen. It was super impressive.

He does have a gunslinger mentality and trusts his arm strength more than he should sometimes... but if you dig into pro football reference or a similar stat site and look at the way he is spreading the ball out... he's not going deep nearly as much as he used to...

I know there are a lot of goofballs out there dreaming about McCown taking over from here on out (not suggesting you are one, by any means) due to his performance the last couple weeks... but it ain't happening. Trestman truly is a QB whisperer and he is even making McCown look damn good. Cutler is gonna be here for a while... everyone will get to see what he can do with a rookie... in 5 years or so. lol

That being said, I bet McCown wishes he knew Trestman 11 years ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot

Count me as a goofball...
    I also love this "quarterback whisperer" crap. Don't get me wrong, Trestman is a great coach and has a very good offensive mind. That being said, the Bears have one of the best, if not THE best wr-wr-te combo in the nfl. Forte is pretty awesome and the line has turned out to be very good. I believe most any asshole could come out there and put up awesome numbers throwing to the back shoulders of these guys. Cutler, by Cutler standards was having a great year-improved over last year even, but the offense around him was upgraded tremendously. His qb rating in my opinion is inflated because of the prevent defenses the lions and the saints put on after the offense went three and out for two quarters.
    Before this gets too long, if Trestman is the "quarterback whisperer" like you say, why would you let an aging expensive vet back in to try and land the big $$$? Shouldn't it not matter who the qb is? By my and your standards?