Lions: McCown or Cutler

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Who should start next week?

1. Jay Cutler

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Josh McCown

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  1. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

I haven't read any regular posters even considering McCown as the preferred guy to finish the season.

All this Cutler coming back in three weeks business is a way to keep the Lions guessing who the QB will be, so they will have to waste time preparing for both of them. Cutler's not healthy enough to go. It will be McCown keeping the captain's chair warm until Cutler is at full strength.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy

Dude... lol... I don't know, man. They had most of this last year, except for Marty Bennett... I guess the Oline, too...

Anyways... If it doesn't matter who your QB is and its all about weapons around him then I don't understand why anyone pays QBs anything... why not just bring Rex or Kyle back and pay them vet minimum!

In other words, I think your opinion is wrong, but that is also just my opinion.

They didn't "let" an aging expensive vet back in to try and land a big deal... He's probably only here because Blanchard got hurt... I dunno, man... I don't even think McCown is expecting to parlay this into a big money deal and a starting gig somewhere else in the league. I am not sure who is writing what you are reading but it sounds crazy. Maybe I don' tunderstand what you meant by "let him back in to try and land the big $$$" tho... they signed him to play in case Cutler got hurt...

This stuff almost makes me sound like a McCown hater, which I am absolutely NOT that... I think he's doing great... but he is a role-player...
  3. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy

Well, I just quoted one. lol

It's Chicago tho... there are always fans that think the backup QB is better... it's not their fault tho. It was a rough few decades before #6 got here. haha
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Yes.... fans in Chicago (maybe in many places....) always love the backup QB
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

I dont think anyone is claiming McCown is a better play than Cutler, just McCown at 100% is a better option then Cutler at 70% against a front that WILL try to kill him (I think Suh is always in the back of his mind) I agree with that assessment, if Jay is limited at all then I say McCown. For his sake and ours I hope he isnt gimping around out there.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Yeah, if Cutler is not healthy enough to play, and is a sitting duck for getting a lobotomy from Suh, why put him out there to get REALLY hurt?
    However, if he is healthy enough to play, then by all means play him.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

McCown. I want Cutler to sit out one more week. I don't care if he says he is healthy or not. He can't be 100%, and he is going to be like a raw ribeye to a Doberman when Suh gets him on the field. Let him really heal. McCown is doing fine for us. I see no reason to rush this.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot

Atomic Tommy,
    I don't know how to use the quote thingies but "the aging vet" I was referring to is Cutler. McCown has no shot at a big contract and that's why I want to see him playing. If Cutler gets back in the driver's seat he at least gets 16 million next year, that's if he's franchised tagged, who knows, the Bears might sign him to a 5 year $60 million deal. I think that's a huge mistake and I'd rather let Trestman pick us a diamond from this years draft.
    I've seen bad bears qb's and you know what? If you have a great season and shit the bed against the packers you are a bad bears qb, ala Jay Cutler. I would rather go in there with no expectations like we did with McCown then think there is the possibility of a win and get embarrassed like we always did with Cutler.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

I had not read a post from that guy until this thread. I meant those who post more frequently.

Most posters I have been reading here are not thinking McCown long term or even end of season. It's game by game until Cutler is healthy.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I'll bet the only way to explain the miracle Cutler recovery is that they must have him packing down the Garza donuts. They'll cure anything - just look at how Garza has improved this season!

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Those are actually okay. I bought a few boxes when I stumbled across them in the Jewel aisle.

The Garzer has been doing quite well for himself now that we got Tice out of the building and actually brought in a good offensive line guy and some capable guards next to him.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot

Garza Donuts! lol...the "miracle Cutler recovery" = "holy shit! the backup qb is better than me, get this guy off the field before everybody opens their eyes!"
  13. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Perhaps not the most ideal place to post this but I figured I'd do it anyway.

What I see as the biggest different between McCown and Cutler is that McCown unlike Cutler doesn't take the sack or try to make the play. As soon as he was under pressure and didn't see an open receiver he would just throw the ball around, that is not something you see offen from Cutler which probably will end up with Cutler taking a sack he shouldn't. To me it feels like Cutler wants to push it to the limit and even tho it something works I just don't think it's worth it and the end of the day..

Cutler is a hell of a fighter but.. please slide every now and then and throw the ball away..
  14. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

You don't understand though. By throwing the ball away instead of taking a sack or throwing an interception to a triple covered receiver, a QB's completion percentage goes down. I've been told this is very bad.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Why is this thread still going? lol. Jay's 100%
    • Agree Agree x 1