LITTLE BACKGROUND FROM JACKSONVILLE ON TUCKER

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 31, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +721 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    For amusement I decided to look at Jacksonville DT and draft in general during Tuckers years as Def Coor.

Tuckers DC history
    upload_2014-3-31_20-16-1.png

He arrived in Jacksonville in 2009 and was DC in Cleveland in 2008. In Cleveland they had a 34 defense so I am not including that info. For background I looked at his line before he got there and during.

upload_2014-3-31_20-9-2.png

I tracked who they drafted and I have to tell you " they suck at the draft" Everyone is probably aware of the offense pick of "Blaine Gabbert", but not to very good at defense either. Guess thats why they have a new GM too, not attempting to say Tucker made the picks but I presume he had an input in the defensive picks made below. Keep in mind he came to Jacksonville in 2009. More interestingly is the type of players. Good news is DT happens to be one of the more successful picks even though they caught hell for Alualu in RD 1.

upload_2014-3-31_20-17-58.png

I looked up some of them for scouting reports but not much there other than DT's. I will let you all find your own reports so you can come to your own unbiased opinions. Thats all I am saying,.

Attached Files:

2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Nice post brother. Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton is here in Denver now and is a pretty fair NT. He's big as a house but like "Fridge" he moves pretty good for a guy his size. He should have been a keeper for Jax.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +721 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    yep, Denver traded for him before this last season.
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    I don't know how much influence he had. Del rio was a defensive guy and tucker didn't call the plays till 2011.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +721 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    I was shocked all the DE's and DT's they have taken and how little they have to show for it. Especially since they traded Knighton away. I hope your right and Mel didnt have much input, there picks are not exactly players that pop to mind.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +545 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Jacksonvilles draft history is pretty bad, and they seem to not hold onto anyone worth holding onto. Any teams draft history that includes a punter in the 4th and 3rd round of the draft 5 years apart should be taken with a grain of salt.
  7. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I'll try to find it, but I recall reading an article on Mel Tucker when he was hired and it mentioned how he was disgruntled with the situation in Jacksonville because he had little input on the players they were acquiring for the defense. For whatever that's worth.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Hopefully he's more "gruntled" now with all of the new toys Emery got for him so far. :lol3:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,518 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    Moreso than most Bears fans are probably! I'm waiting to see something from him this year. Something positive this time.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,308 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    710ß
    How could he not be :)

...even I'm gettin' "gruntled" over the defense picking up good guys, and the draft will be like Santa coming. Hope we find a few cool toys under the tree at Halas Hall from Santa Phil. Maybe even an offense guy as a stocking stuffer too.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Well if God is a Packer Fan at least we've got Santa. :woot:
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    If anyone would have told me that Emery and his bunch would be this aggressive in FA I never would have believed it. In fact I didn't. So I give him all the credit he's due for attacking those defensive issue both internally and externally. He's signed a total of 28 players since January including getting Cutler locked up on a pretty sweet deal for the team as far as the terms go.

You also have to give credit to Ted Phillips and to the McCaskey's because they've spent a lot of money getting all of this done. It is so much nicer to have George sitting in the COB seat now after all those years under Mikey. :10_6_7[1]: God help me but I cannot find anything about that guy to like but I can sure find a lot to dislike. He put that team through 20 years of misery and may a nest of fire ants nest in his crotch. The whole organization from top to bottom looks like it's finally getting it's shit together.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,308 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    710ß
    It sure looks that way. I hope they win a Super Bowl again before Virginia dies. She seems like a really nice lady who has always been a great fan of the team (not just an owner, but somebody that truly loves the Bears with her heart and soul). I think she absolutely idolized her dad (Papa Bear Halas) and consequently she's tried to carry on since he died. And now I do think George is going to get it done (Super Bowl).

Hiring Emery was a good move. Like I said earlier, I think Emery inherited a lot of problems and is doing everything he can to quickly get the team stocked with talent to win, and to be a team that can sustain winning over time.

You and I have talked about the Urlacher thing, and how it was handled. I don't think Emery is a PR guy and consequently he did what he thought he had to do (not renew Urlacher's contract) but he probably could have handled that in a better way (and still not renewed his contract). But I think that Emery is just not focused on PR in his focus on rebuilding the team. He's just charging forward and making some heavy-duty decisions and letting the chips fall where they may. I'm not trying to stir up the messageboard here (I get it, many folks here hate Urlacher now), but just commenting on this in context with the organization being better - and very different - with George on board, and Emery here calling the shots now.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    [​IMG]

This is from a few years ago (obviously), but it says all you need to know about why the Jags suck in the draft
    • Like Like x 6
  15. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +721 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    OMG, is this for real or is this a photoshop gag? It certainly LOOKS legit!
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,308 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    710ß

Chicago Bears war room before Emery:
    [​IMG]

Phil Emery war room :)
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  17. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +721 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    ^^^JABF:36_1_55[1]::rofl2:
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    George and Ginny seem to have a lot of the old man in them as far as their love of the team more than money. They don't live high end lifestyles and they own a business worth over a billion dollars so it pays to do the maintenance necessary to keep it up. Michael was an idiot just like his father and far more interested in applying his Yale'ie business principals to making money day by day than he ever did on building winning teams. He was better at tearing them down which is exactly what he did with the '80s teams. I always hated the pic of him smiling holding that trophy after the SB win. I wanted to scream "you had nothing to do with this you stupid SOB".

And I'd also agree with you about Phil's concern about his image. He doesn't. He's a very straight talking plain vanilla guy which is what the Bears needed. He's a former scout and even as a GM he'll always be wearing his scouts hat at times. He's 10x the personnel guy JA ever believed he was and he has the guts to do what the thinks is correct and still admit his errors when he was wrong. JA NEVER would have done that. JA was a theorist and still is. He was lucky to have a coach as good as Lovie was or we'd have seen another decade of middle of the road teams.

The Urlacher deal is in the past as far as I'm concerned. That was last year. I'm looking ahead now and the rear view is getting farther and farther away. I've spoken my piece about it and I'll continue to at least explain his attitude towards Emery and defend it. It's too easy for fans to damn him for it but if they were worked over by their employer like that we'd see posts in the non-football forums bitching about it and looking for support and sympathy too. It's always easy to criticize until that shoe is on they're foot. I've been through some of that before so maybe I just associate with it more.

The bottom line is that Emery is doing what he needs to do when he needs to do it and I always admire and support any man who rolls up his sleeves and get to work on the problem. Phil Emery has my respect for that regardless of how I may feel about other issues.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Soul, Interesting post. Since Phil fired Lovie, do you think this was the right move? Or should he have hired a better Offensive coach along with the talent infusion he did last year?

Obviously there is no turning back now. I don't see Tucker as having the same defensive success as Lovie. At this point I would rather have Marc than Lovie but Lovie got us to a SB.
  20. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    Actually Trestman was a candidate for the Bears OC position about the same time he took the Montreal HC job. Or maybe it was after he was in Montreal.

Marc was interviewed but I don't think there was much interest in Marc by the Bears. They probably thought Martz/Tice/whoever was a better fit.