Long Time Bear Fan

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Clark Street, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Clark Street

Clark Street Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm 67 and have been a lifelong Bear and Cub fan. I'm now out in the suburbs, but when I was young I lived not far from Wrigley Field where both the Bears and Cubs played.

My passion for the Bears really grew when I was a freshman at the University of Illinois. Home games were blacked out from Chicago TV, but we could watch all Bear games in Champaign-Urbana as they stormed to the 1963 NFL championship. Also during that season the Illini with Dick Butkus won the Big Ten championship and the Rose Bowl. Double fun!

During the mid-eighties I lived in the California Bay Area. Both the 49ers and Bears were strong at the time. I had to endure being the lone Bear fan in a neighborhood of intensely loyal 49er fans. The 49ers knocked the Bears out of the 1984-85 post-season and went on to win the Super Bowl at Stanford Stadium a mile from my home. But revenge was gained the next year as the Bears beat the 49ers early in the season and went on to win the Super Bowl. I was able to watch that Super Bowl on TV with family and friends in Chicagoland, since I was back home for my brother's wedding. Super fun!

As a youth I used to walk along Clark Street to attend Bear and Cub games at Wrigley Field. Hence my screen name and avatar that I have used for many years on the Cubs message board, and now post similar versions here so that folks will know I am the same guy.

Each year I create a Bears schedule calendar for your computer's desktop background wallpaper. It comes in both standard & widescreen versions and includes game times & TV networks. It can be seen at www.CurtRenz.com/bears . I hope you find it useful. Go Bears!
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +785 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    Nice job, and thanks for sharing!
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,444 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    628ß
    Since I had to re-register myself I'm feelin' kind of new around here. ;)

Looks nice, think I'll stick around some. :D
  4. Clark Street

Clark Street Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You're welcome, Ski-Whiz. Wow, it won't be long before you are skiing again. :)