Look at which teams draft the best

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 12, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    ah, much more readable now that its posted.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    Think Baltimore was the highest
    upload_2014-4-12_17-15-44.png
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    Those last two Angelo drafts were disappointing. Another reason to hope Conte works out for us.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    Interesting stuff. And somewhat of a problem....
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    Its a problem for sure. We have been way to dependent on Free Agency and sooner or later that will lead to cap hell. Emery, Cliff Stein, and Ted Phillips have done a good job so far but trying to sign 10 + free agents a year can not continue. Washington always use to be big into Free Agency and have calmed down a little, not sure if the cap problems they have had or improvement in drafting has slowed them down but they never accomplished much with the Free Agent route. I am excited about the Free Agent acquisitions but worried we are looking a lot like the Redskins of old and hope we have more success than they had.

Nonetheless, we need to get this drafting fixed. Rodriguez would still be here probably if he didnt get arrested twice and can not get to excited about 7th rounders not on team. Even with logic and excuses 3 players drafted last yr are already gone. We have to do better with middle rd picks.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    BS, that's what's good about Emery right now, outside a couple moves he isn't using FA as long term talent influx, he's using it to plug holes until the draft can fill that need. Problem w/Wash and many other teams is they used FA to frontload talent and use the draft as a boom or bust scenario, Bears aren't purposefully doing that. But this is exactly why both JA and Lovie are gone, Lovie had a huge say in the draft and the drafting was horrid, both had to go.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    Emery was left with a lot of work to do. The talent had atrophied to the point that it was a multi-year task to get the team where it needs to be. In a case like that, Emery had little choice but to use FA's to fill in a lot of holes until the draft could build up a young/solid base of talent. I figure Emery needs to have a solid draft this year - and in 2015 - to get things where they should be. I do like the fact that Emery has used his FA money wisely. He's picked up a number of "value" players, and I like the fact that he uses 1 year contracts a lot. He doesn't sign old guys to mult-year contracts where he doesn't need to. I think this is different than the 'Skins situation. They just throw money away in big multi-year contracts to "name" FA players, only to regret it.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    Emery has been great for us, but trying to be objective about it, so far his drafting has only been a little better than Angelo. However his FA moves have truly been outstanding IMO. I hope he has just been getting warmed up and this draft he will be at the same level as he has been in FA. But FA is always easier. You have a known entity and it is easier to know how that person will perform -- which makes you really wonder what the hell Angelo was thinking with some of his FA moves.
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    We see a major improvement in 2013 over 2012 so hopefully now that the scouting department has been regrouped and the path is clearer we'll see this more often. I'll give Emery some grace ERod since the guy really didn't play himself off the team he just couldn't stay out of trouble. Hardin was a bad move. His college injury history was a big red flag. That's one we can chalk up to being too enamored of his physical traits and potential based primarily on that. But at 6'3" and 220lbs with the speed of a CB he would have made one hell of a FS.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    573ß
    Interestingly, 2 of the 3 teams with lower retention rates than us were playoff teams last year (Philly and Carolina).

The team with the highest retention rate, by far, was miserable and will be drafting top 5 this year (Atlanta).
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    573ß
    In fact, this will be Atlanta's second time drafting in the top 10 during this time span. Perhaps the focus shouldn't be skewed by teams who manage to keep draftees on the bottom half of their roster, but rather the impact of the ones that are still there. Just a thought.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
    I still cant get over Hardin pick, too bad
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Thanks for posting its a good read. And yeah, just looking at your chart I would like to spear JA Goldberg style right about now. Those were some just brutal drafts. The Hardin pick is the only one that I really cringe at that Emery made to this point. Shea is very close to being on that level unless he can prove some worth at LB (where he should have god damn been playing all along)
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    Interesting. Without looking into it at all I'm inclined to believe that means either that their coaches are not the best or that they do not get rid of players that are not contributing enough.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    didnt atl get beat down with injs this year also? and to boot brougt in a beat down rb and te instead of backfilling via the draft?
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    also be wary of defining success based on playoffs. the nfce and s were miserable last year
  18. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    573ß
    Thank you, proof positive that statistics, like retention percentage, can skew a subject. Part of the beauty of the NFL is that there is very independent variables. Everything matters to something else's success/failure.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Kinda sound like Atlanta drafts poorly and then gets stuck keeping them too because they have no better alternatives.
  20. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I think the thread title is inaccurate. This isn't who drafts the best, it's whose roster is composed of the highest percentage of players they have drafted. There's no attempt to measure quality (which would be tough to do anyhow).
    As pointed out already... Atlanta, then Miami, San Diego, and Washington all rank high. Does anyone on this board wish they had the rosters of those last 3 teams? Though Atlanta has bounceback written all over them if they can get their act together on defense.

I agree the Bears need to get it together with the draft. Years of crap drafts have given us a dearth of young talent. Just saying though, correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation. Hitting in the early rounds at a high precentage is what needs to happen to fix what's wrong for the Bears.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1