Lot of pressure on the draft,...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 50YearFrustration, Mar 13, 2014.

1. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    From my coach's Lazy-Boy, I can't argue with most of Emery's FA moves thus far. Still, I wonder if the dearth of impact players on the Bear defense puts that much more pressure on him to "get it right" come draft day. Houston & Young were likely the right pros to bring in if you're defense was as atrocious as the Bears were last season. Signing Mundy & Jennings was smart, if only one turns out to be starter quality. Still, where are the play-makers? The impact guys? Peppers gone (rightfully so at that price). Melton likely, too. Peanut, maybe so, while Briggs is getting a little long in the tooth.

The Bears have stars or very good players on every level of the offense, running back, receivers and the line. Even Cutler can play to that star level, at times. On defense, name one. Briggs and Jennings are good players, but are they The Guys who you can still build your defense around?! Briggs was that guy a few years ago, but now I'll just take solid play and be content. So, you hope the roster moves (McClellan to LB, Bostic to the outside, etc.) and the signings you've made can shore up all three levels on defense. Picking in the middle of each round, Emery is not going to get a Clowney, but he can still get players who can make a difference. He just can't afford any more Michael Haynes'. The pressure is on,...:3_11_3[1]:
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    Nope all the futures playmakers are going to have to be in the draft. So Emery has to play it safe this year and get it right.

S/DT in the first
    CB/or whichever wasn't taken in the first
    whatever wasn't taken in the 2nd
    S
    straight bpa from there on out.
  3. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Yep he's played the solid rebuild game so far. Make sure the defense is stocked with hopefully even up to 15 or so solid pro's which means depth at the line, decent LB's and a reasonable secondary (let's see what happens at the second CB spot). Then draft (AND DEVELOP- so crucial) the stars.

Seattle are obviously the trend setters and their secondary have emerged as stars but their front 7 was built around solid talent (Clemons was the star before injury but wasn't a huge name when signed) before the addition of free agents like Bennett and Avril took them to the next level.

Hopefully we nail the draft and get above average rookie play that takes the defense to a reasonable level, but at worst we should be better than last year and in a position for continued improvement. Signing big names this year would've been a short term improvement but no guarantee of getting us anywhere.
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +583 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    288ß
    Not for nothing....but where were the "star" defensive line players in this free agency? There were none(even though Lovie paid Michael Johnson like one). There were some star safeties out there, but it's more important to be stout up front. From where I stand we improved where we were terrible last year...tackling, stopping the run, and putting pressure on the QB.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,403 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    It looks like Emery is being very thoughtful with the rebuilding effort on defense and I like that approach. He has to do this, due to the fact he needs a number of players here, rather than a splashy FA acquisition that may kill the cap without restocking the entire cupboard on D. He's added some excellent value players so far.......we should see a good return on his investment.

Also, this isn't all about starters. We learned a hard lesson last season, in that it's not just the starters on D that matter. You also have to have quality depth for when starters go down to injury (which happens to all teams every year). Emery is being careful to make every cap dollar on defense bring maximum return - max bang for the buck.

As Ric stated, the draft will add some excellent talent on D. We know that. The FA moves are just filling out the roster with (hopefully) better quality players overall. Right now I feel pretty good about the process. Keep in mind this won't be completely over until training camp opens. We'll continue to see some vets cut after the draft. Emery should have money left to take advantage of a player or two if a solid opportunity is there.
  6. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Agreed.....emery did pretty good in last year's draft on offense getting Mills and Long, I think he can do the same thing with the defense this year and find quality starters and quality depth players.
  7. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Agreed......it's so refreshing to have a competent general manager who knows what they're doing but most importantly having a good eye for talent knowing how to scout talent to find the right players for the offensive/defensive scheme the team is running.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,224 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    261ß
    I didn't care for Emery's FA signings at S (hopefully Mundy will be decent) but I strongly agree with him that allocating the lions share of his effort and resources to the DL is the way to go. He still needs to get a starter at CB opposite TJ.
  9. irishways

irishways Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +454 / 0 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    At the end of this upcoming season we will know, or at least have a better understanding of what Emery is. We know right now how the guy turned around the offense. We know he inherited an old defense That was going to have to be rebuilt. By this time next year we will have a better understanding. Is he the best GM the Bears have had in a long time, or is he the anti JA? Good at getting an offense to operate, but can't figure out the D.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,224 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    261ß
    To be fair it's probably gonna take him more than one offseason to fully turn the D around. If he can get us back to respectable with the arrow pointing up this year, that's a helluva accomplishment. We were on fumes last year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    With Tillman back I guess it's either Donald or Clinton Dix depending on who is available. Perhaps Gilbert if he makes it to 14. Atm I prefer Clinton Dix 1th, CB 2th, DT 3th
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,224 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    261ß
    I'm with ya there, Z. Between Donald and Ha-Ha, at least one maybe both should be available. Both are top prospects at their position and both would fill key long term needs. Phil has accomplished enough in FA to go either way and not leave the roster bare somewhere. Oh, and.......Efff Lovie
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Thoughtful is a good way to describe his rebuild this year. If he and the staff can just get the Bears to "middling" on defense, I think the offense will carry the Bears to a deep run,...:18_1_301[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    Even I can score a TD with no one near me for 15+ yards
  15. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Just being injury free will improve this defense. I'm good with the moves so far. Everyone knew Peppers was gone and Melton is a big question mark coming back from that injury. Not wise to spend big money on a question mark. I love getting Peanut back... gives us the flexibility in the draft we need.

I'm sure there are more depth moves left but overall the arrow is pointed in the right direction.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    I hope the bears stay healthy this upcoming season too, the players acquired in this FA definitely improves the defense and yes getting peanut back gives Emery crazy flexibility in the draft concerning CB (don't have to get one immediately).

I think Emery will go DT in the first round to keep improving the d-line which will help the pass rush and pressure on qb, this will let Tillman and Jennings feast on interceptions.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  17. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    If we had even an average defense we would have won the division last year. Like a lot of things... it is never as bad or good as you think. That could probably be said of both sides of our team.