Louisville Safety Calvin Pryor Says He's Right Fit For Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 16, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This is the player I really want the Bears to draft at 14:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...es-the-right-type-for-bears.html#.U05cbp3D_cs

Safety Calvin Pryor says he’s the right type for Bears
    BY PATRICK FINLEY Staff Reporter April 15, 2014 10:09PM

Calvin Pryor and the Bears have the same reputation.

‘‘I bring a certain type of physicalness to the defense,’’ the Louisville safety told the Sun-Times on Tuesday. ‘‘The Bears are already known to be physical.

‘‘That playmaker ability, that’s what I can bring to the team. . . . If I get added to the team.’’

Projected to go in the top half of the first round in next month’s NFL draft, Pryor met with the Bears about two weeks ago. He came away impressed with coach Marc Trestman, general manager Phil Emery and defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

‘‘It was a positive atmosphere,’’ he said. ‘‘The city loves their football team, and they’d love to make me an addition to the Chicago organization.’’

Whether Pryor is available at No. 14 — if the Bears choose to pick a safety over a lineman to boost their once-vaunted defense — is another question.

Pryor’s physicality and play-making, both in the middle of the field and in run support, would help the Bears, who are desperate for both. A first-team All-American as a junior last year, Pryor had three interceptions, two forced fumbles and 75 tackles. In 2012, he had 100 tackles and forced five fumbles.

The Bears have intimate knowledge of the 5-11, 207-pound Pryor; new assistant defensive line coach Clint Hurtt served as a Louisville assistant from 2010 to 2013.

Pryor, who is training in Louisville, was happy to visit with his old coach in Chicago.

‘‘The Bears definitely have playoff potential,’’ he said. ‘‘They’re missing certain pieces. I just want an opportunity to play in the NFL.’’

He’ll get it, probably early in the draft. Pryor has met with the New Orleans Saints, Tennessee Titans and Pittsburgh Steelers and has three more meetings scheduled, including a trip to the Cincinnati Bengals on Wednesday.

‘‘You’re always busy taking visits and working out,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m really enjoying it — talking with everybody and seeing what they have to say about me.’’

The Bears are interested in the draft’s top two safeties: Pryor and Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who became fast friends at the NFL Scouting Combine.

‘‘He has to focus on him,’’ Pryor said, ‘‘and I’ve gotta focus on me. We talk all the time. We just gotta focus on us.’’
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    I'd rather have Dix or Gilbert, but there isn't much chance they'll be there, so I'd be very happy w/Pryor.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not sure why but this article has him listed at 5' 11".

I always thought he was 6' 2".

I just did some research. Not sure of this either but, some websites have him listed at 5' 11" while others (including the Louisville website) have him listed at 6' 2".
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    79ß
    What does he measure at the combine? That's official. Schools always add some inches and pounds to their guys.
  5. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not sure what his combine height measurement was.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    I think he's 5'11" but hits like 6'2"
    • Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    79ß
    Maybe he was 6'2" but hit so hard he shrunk to 5'11"!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    From what I've read, I think Louisville padded his height. When he got to the combine, he was 5'11".
    • Like Like x 1
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I'd rather have Pryor
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    DIX!
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. MarkBear

MarkBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We need Safety help.....BAD!!!
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    2 possibly 3 DB's in this draft, out of 7 picks. As well as a DT and a LB, and that's just on the D side.
  13. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,693 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    453ß
    Thanks for your input Calvin.... But your opinion doesn't matter.

Do Emery and Trestman think you are the right fit for the Bears. THAT is what's important
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,230 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    One leg is shorter than the other.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    I liked this quote from Pryor. I know this sounds so basic, but it's everything we haven't had with our own safeties over the years. It's like the offensive line during many of the Lovie Smith years not understanding blocking. Our safeties just seem to be wandering around out there lost. And when they do end up in a play they often can't tackle.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    that is an EXCELLENT quote form him, kid knows his stuff.

Still Want Dix
  17. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß
    Colleges list a lot of false stats for players and before the Combine teams got burned. The Broncos once drafted a DT out of Syracuse named Ted Gregory who was listed at 6'1" and 270lb in the 1st round. When he got to Denver to Reeeves said he was about 5'11" and 255lbs soaking wet. He was out of the NFL a year later.

If Donald isn't available I'd probably be happy with Pryor if that's the direction they decide to go but there's no way I'd pass up Donald for Pryor. There are other S who don't fall too far short of what Pryor can bring but there aren't any other DTs that have the goods Donald does as a 3 tech.

DB43
    Calvin Pryor
    FS Louisville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grade
    6.15 ?
    • 4.58 SEC
    • 18 REPS
      Top Performer
    • 34.5 INCH
    • 116.0 INCH
    Blue Star = Top Performer
    • 5'11" Height
    • 31 3/8" Arm Length
    • 207LBS. Weight
    • 9 1/8" Hands
    Overview
    2013: First Team All-American Athletic Conference. Played and started 12 games. Suspended for game against Memphis for violating an unspecified team rule. Second on team with 75 tackles. 2012: Second Team All-Big East. Started all 13 games. Second on team with 100 tackles. Led team with five FF. 2011: Played in 13 games, started the final seven. High School: No. 31 safety nationally (Rivals). Also played running back.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Very good instincts. Physical, lights-out hitter (see second defensive snap of UCF game). Very aggressive running the alley and seeks to make his presence felt in the run game. Sacrifices his body. Defensive tempo-setter. Made a spectacular, one-handed INT vs. UCF. Good pre-snap recognition -- makes adjustments. Explosive tackler. Can leverage the field off the hash and cover ground. Good zone recognition. Rangy enough to play center field. Carries a swagger and plays with confidence.

Weaknesses
    Plays with too much reckless abandon and lacks discipline playing the cutback. Takes some bad angles and can be outflanked to the perimeter. Average production on the ball. Is not asked to play a lot of man coverage.
    Bottom Line

A big, physical, hammering run defender brings an enforcer mentality to the box and an intimidating, punishing presence to the back end. Is arguably the most violent hitter in this year's draft class and should make his presence felt readily in the pros.
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +671 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    This kid is a freakin wrecking ball hitter and I would not be upset with him as our pick at all. I think Clinton-Dix is more refined, but this kid will give opposing receivers alligator arms pretty quickly. If we grab him, we have to realize that with his physicality, he WILL cost us some penalty yardage in the modern NFL. However, he will also gain yardage from receiver drops because they WILL be hearing footsteps. It's a trade off that will frustrate me at times, but I'll accept it to get the physicality back in the Monsters.
    • Like Like x 4
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I wouldn't cry if we took Pryor in the 1st but Donald or Dix are higher priority IMO.
    Buchannon is a similar prospect to Pryor (also taller and ran a 4.49) who may very well be available to us near the 51st pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß
    He's a fit for the defense as long as he's willing to adjust and cover too, not just try to "lay wood" and be the intimidator. The days of Jack Tatum and even Ronnie Lott are well behind us now. He has to have the whole package or he can hurt us as much as help us. Like I said, I can live with the pick but if I had my druthers I'd take Donald in a heartbeat and hope Ward drops in my lap in two. That's the kid I think can become another Mike Brown.