Louisville Safety Calvin Pryor Says He's Right Fit For Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 16, 2014.

1. MarkBear

MarkBear Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    302ß
    Ratings:
    +83 / 1 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    We need Safety help.....BAD!!!

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,041ß
    Ratings:
    +4,509 / 10 / -8
    2 possibly 3 DB's in this draft, out of 7 picks. As well as a DT and a LB, and that's just on the D side.

3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,981ß
    Ratings:
    +2,832 / 7 / -9
    Thanks for your input Calvin.... But your opinion doesn't matter.

Do Emery and Trestman think you are the right fit for the Bears. THAT is what's important

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,681ß
    Ratings:
    +3,551 / 13 / -0
    One leg is shorter than the other.

5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,246ß
    Ratings:
    +4,566 / 4 / -1
    I liked this quote from Pryor. I know this sounds so basic, but it's everything we haven't had with our own safeties over the years. It's like the offensive line during many of the Lovie Smith years not understanding blocking. Our safeties just seem to be wandering around out there lost. And when they do end up in a play they often can't tackle.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,041ß
    Ratings:
    +4,509 / 10 / -8
    that is an EXCELLENT quote form him, kid knows his stuff.

Still Want Dix

7. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    Ratings:
    +1,962 / 7 / -3
    Colleges list a lot of false stats for players and before the Combine teams got burned. The Broncos once drafted a DT out of Syracuse named Ted Gregory who was listed at 6'1" and 270lb in the 1st round. When he got to Denver to Reeeves said he was about 5'11" and 255lbs soaking wet. He was out of the NFL a year later.

If Donald isn't available I'd probably be happy with Pryor if that's the direction they decide to go but there's no way I'd pass up Donald for Pryor. There are other S who don't fall too far short of what Pryor can bring but there aren't any other DTs that have the goods Donald does as a 3 tech.

DB43
    Calvin Pryor
    FS Louisville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grade
    6.15 ?
    • 4.58 SEC
    • 18 REPS
      Top Performer
    • 34.5 INCH
    • 116.0 INCH
    Blue Star = Top Performer
    • 5'11" Height
    • 31 3/8" Arm Length
    • 207LBS. Weight
    • 9 1/8" Hands
    Overview
    2013: First Team All-American Athletic Conference. Played and started 12 games. Suspended for game against Memphis for violating an unspecified team rule. Second on team with 75 tackles. 2012: Second Team All-Big East. Started all 13 games. Second on team with 100 tackles. Led team with five FF. 2011: Played in 13 games, started the final seven. High School: No. 31 safety nationally (Rivals). Also played running back.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Very good instincts. Physical, lights-out hitter (see second defensive snap of UCF game). Very aggressive running the alley and seeks to make his presence felt in the run game. Sacrifices his body. Defensive tempo-setter. Made a spectacular, one-handed INT vs. UCF. Good pre-snap recognition -- makes adjustments. Explosive tackler. Can leverage the field off the hash and cover ground. Good zone recognition. Rangy enough to play center field. Carries a swagger and plays with confidence.

Weaknesses
    Plays with too much reckless abandon and lacks discipline playing the cutback. Takes some bad angles and can be outflanked to the perimeter. Average production on the ball. Is not asked to play a lot of man coverage.
    Bottom Line

A big, physical, hammering run defender brings an enforcer mentality to the box and an intimidating, punishing presence to the back end. Is arguably the most violent hitter in this year's draft class and should make his presence felt readily in the pros.

8. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    479ß
    Ratings:
    +1,168 / 1 / -0
    This kid is a freakin wrecking ball hitter and I would not be upset with him as our pick at all. I think Clinton-Dix is more refined, but this kid will give opposing receivers alligator arms pretty quickly. If we grab him, we have to realize that with his physicality, he WILL cost us some penalty yardage in the modern NFL. However, he will also gain yardage from receiver drops because they WILL be hearing footsteps. It's a trade off that will frustrate me at times, but I'll accept it to get the physicality back in the Monsters.

• Like Like x 4
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,045ß
    Ratings:
    +1,956 / 2 / -0
    I wouldn't cry if we took Pryor in the 1st but Donald or Dix are higher priority IMO.
    Buchannon is a similar prospect to Pryor (also taller and ran a 4.49) who may very well be available to us near the 51st pick.

• Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    Ratings:
    +1,962 / 7 / -3
    He's a fit for the defense as long as he's willing to adjust and cover too, not just try to "lay wood" and be the intimidator. The days of Jack Tatum and even Ronnie Lott are well behind us now. He has to have the whole package or he can hurt us as much as help us. Like I said, I can live with the pick but if I had my druthers I'd take Donald in a heartbeat and hope Ward drops in my lap in two. That's the kid I think can become another Mike Brown.