Louisville Safety Calvin Pryor Says He's Right Fit For Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    Pryor is quickly becoming my number one want at 14. He will likely be there, and I think can provide an impact from day one here at HH. Finally the asinine "he hits too hard" stuff has seemingly subsided and without that there isn't much of a knock on him. Strong run defender who can also be a playmaker if the qb gives him a chance, I don't know what is not to like about him. His height isn't really a problem. Most NFL teams inflate height/weight as do all college teams. I would say most S play right around that 6 foot range.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +2,700 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,363ß
    Grizz - we still have three full weeks. Not a real fan of this offseason schedule. Draft would have been next week which is long enough IMO.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    We all know, Ric. Just keep it out of this forum, lol
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,807 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,015ß
    you win this round jerk.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    I don't understand it. If anything, I think they should have moved it up to this weekend or last weekend. Give the draftees more time with the team to get up to speed. Putting them another 2 weeks behind just doesn't make sense to me. Also, I hate waiting an extra 2 week. It's another 2 weeks of raw speculation and wild scenarios on here but hey its better than nothing.
  6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,279 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    I think you meant "circle"
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think this is just temporary isn't it? Just to evaluate it being this late. They haven't made it permanent yet have they?
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    And that's where I disagree completely. They aren't looking to just "fortify" a position. They're gonna look to replace a Pro Bowl 3 tech DT they don't currently have. It would be huge mistake to think that any of the other linemen is that guy. Collins is really the only guy they have to play that spot. He pretty good but he's not a top guy and they would still need another DT to pair with him.

If you move any other player like Ratliff or Houston to the spot as a starter then you're taking them out of natural positions and weakening the line. It doesn't have to be Donald, although he's by far the best choice, but it does need to be a guy who can come and make an impact this year. If they feel the can get that guy in round two or three great but their chances diminish accordingly.

All I can say is what I have before. It'll be far easier to find a good Safety prospect in round two than it will be to find a DT who can do all of what Donald can. If he's there I don't how you can pass on him for a Safety when there are still guys like Bucannon and Ward who won't go until two and a few more in three. Pryor is a good ball player but he's not at the level of past Safeties who've been taken around that same spot in past years.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,700 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,363ß
    Raw speculation and wild scenarios? Not here. I'm sure we've already hit on the draft exactly as it will unfold.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +982 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,245ß
    I think the NFL wanted to keep the brand name under the spotlight a little longer. Backing it up 2 or 3 weeks keeps everyone on the NFL. Excitement lingers for a week or two and then Baseball takes over. Come June and July mini-camps get going so the NFL gained a month of Brand recognition by pushing the draft back. Somewhere behind it is $$$$ as they announce the schedule, Jersey sales, and keeping the public more interested may lead to more season ticket sales. Its purely Business.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,700 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,363ß
    I agree that was the intent. I don't think it's working. People are not patient. I know I'm not. Lets get these guys on board and starting to work out with their teams.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,807 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,015ß
    BiH I think that was the idea also, but all it did was give MLB an opening to move into the spotlight b/c there is just nothing else to talk about NFL wise, mocks at this point(trust me I know) are almost redundant.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,700 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,363ß
    I think they chase money so hard, they miss the forest for the trees sometimes.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    If they're smart they'll move it up at least a week to the first weekend in May or the very last in April. I know the teams wanted more time to prepare following FA but by now they should have pretty much collected the data they want and we're still 3 weeks away. BB has begun, the NHL playoffs have begun and interest is waning because it's just rehashing the same poop day after day.

Well on the bright side since my daughter's wedding is May 3rd at least I won't miss it while I'm playing Padre de la novia and host to my other daughters and grandson from Tuesday on. Early May is gonna be a little hectic.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,700 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,363ß
    Congrats! Your first one to marry?
  16. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +285 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    I agree that to fix the Dline we need to add a top guy from the draft. I know most people here like Collins, but I have my doubts. I didn't think he was very good against the run last year. After we have a long term fix for the line, then we move into the safety position.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,174 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,113ß
    Don't sleep on Collins...the kid can ball, and he was outplaying Melton last year before he got hurt. Every guy I work with who knows him say all he needs is a shot.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,174 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,113ß
    The draft was pushed back because the Rockettes had a show scheduled for the weekend the draft was to be held at radio city. They should have just found another place to hold it. You have the garden in NYC, there's Brooklyn, the prudential center and izod in jersey...plenty of places.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,807 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,015ß
    butkus, all the Chicago Bearas Beat guys talk about how much people inside HH LOVE Collins and said they saw him as every bit Melton's equal, that's all you heard during TC last year, so it doesn't surprise me that there are people you know that know Collins and think he'll be good given a shot.

Every DL player last year sucked against the run, so did every lb cb and S, the entire D sucked last year.
  20. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +285 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    Collins is also a 4 year vet. He isn't elite and I don't see him developing into a difference maker. (We should stop discussing this in a safety thread...)