Louisville Safety Calvin Pryor Says He's Right Fit For Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 16, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    248ß
    SACKS is the stat that catches everyone's eye and makes the highlight reel. But the far more important measure is how often does your pass rush disrupt the play? As in....hurry the QB, deflect the ball, make him scramble or get rid of the ball quicker than planned. Even hits/knock downs after the throw is delivered make a big additive impact. Picks and rushed/inaccurate throws result.

Even the very best passing attacks can wilt under the effect of a relentless pass rush. I don't remember how many sacks Seattle had in the SB (I don't think it was an eye-popping number considering Denver had no choice but to throw). But I do clearly remember than Manning was under siege and quickly got "happy feet" back there. His accuracy fell off very quickly from what we are all used to seeing.

Contrast that to the Bears week 2 game vs Minnesota (note: BEFORE the big injury parade got going). We had virtually no pass rush from our DL all game long. The result was Christian Ponder actually looked like a decent QB that game.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,537 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    723ß
    That is exactly what I'm saying. Manning is hard to sack, but he gets rattled. Everyone does.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    ya but at most teams only have to face a guy like Manning 2-3 times a year; and for every manning you about 12 other guys that cannot get the ball out like that.

Point is in todays NFL you HAVE to have a backfield that can shut down the pass when the Rush doesn't get there. Much like how the OL is bound to give up a sack or a hurry no matter how good it is, the DL is bound to not get to the qb; and when they don't the DB's have to be able to do their job at a high level
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,537 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    723ß
    I might not be getting what you are saying. If you play a guy that is not as good as Manning in getting rid of the ball (which as you say are most QBs), then they are more likely to be able to be sacked and the DL becomes more of a factor against them since they will probably still be holding onto the ball when the pass rush hits. At least that's what I'm thinking, so I think I'm missing what you are trying to say.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    bih but u are still only getting to them about 1 in 10 tries. agreat sack day for a team is 3or 4 out of 35+ atts anf that is an avg qb. what is the dl going to do about the 31 other atts? those are on the dbs to make a play.
    ya u need a strong dl but it wont meam shit if u have a flat bad group of db's just ask det
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,537 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    723ß
    the other 31 attempts, they would be pressuring him into a bad throw. Maybe I'm just stupid today (stupider even than most other days). Wouldn't DL pressure be an even bigger factor against QBs that didn't deal with pressure well. I do get your point on the secondary though. I agree to be honest. Even if your DL gets pressure on every snap, a QB is still going to get the ball in the air. You do need a sound secondary. I'm not even sure we are arguing about different things. I think we might be saying the same thing, but now I'm too confused to know, LOL!!
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    You need balance. Can a elite group of DBs make up for a terrible DL? no. Nor does it work vice versa. But if I had to pick between an average secondary and a great DL or a great secondary and an average DL I would take the elite DL any day.

Cant be horrible at either, why I am now leaning towards wanting Pryor. Right now our safety are utter disasters with Conte now hurt so for that reason I'll take a Pryor and then hopefully we can snag Jernigan, Hageman, or fall back on Qurales in the 2nd.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,962 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    That is beyond idealistic, chances are you might get another 8 to 10 pressures of which maybe 4-6 makes them make poor throws. I'm just looking at it from the DL is fixed "enough" to allow DB to go 1st and 2nd/3rd and DT to go 2nd or 3rd.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,537 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    723ß
    Well, that actually could be Ric. I've actually had the same thought. The thing is though that we haven't seen them play and I don;t want to find out when we can't do anything about it that they really did need a strong DT rusher. I'd rather have too much ammo than not have enough. But your point is valid and I honestly don't know. You could make a valid argument both ways.