Marquess Wilson Bigger Role

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 12, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Yep, the added weight should help some and I imagine the rest should have come from Marshall and Jeffery by now. They aren't gonna let him forget that part because both of them are pretty proud of their ability as blockers.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I just don't see how the kid can miss. Not with the help he's been getting from Marshall and Jeffery and Bennett too I'm sure. The kid had enough raw talent to once be thought of as a potential first round pick.

There hasn't even been a whisper of talk about any competition for his spot. It's all been about the #4 and #5 spots. Wilson has the skids greased so he'd have to screw up pretty badly to lose his spot I'd imagine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Sure hate to be the Def Coor. for the opposing team trying to figure out how to stop Forte, Marshall, Jeffries, Bennett, and now Wilson at 6-3 with 4.4 or 4.5 speed. This has to keep them up late at night before the game. I am glad we have a good line because I suspect many will try to apply pressure and make Cutler take the short passes in front of the Defense and hope Cutler screws up. This could also lead to a few over the top easy scores but all those weapons you almost have to apply pressure and keep them in front of you. Should be an interesting season, hope the Oline is up for the task.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Will the guy w/2 catches and from the 4th WR spot have a bigger year this year? Man I hope so. 1) He's the 3rd WR now, not the 4th. 2) this is the 2nd year for everyone in the system so everyone should be more comfortable in it. 3) keep in mind the 3rd WR is still the 5th option on this team behind the 1 and 2, Forte and Bennett.

If Earl's #'s from last year are the starting point, expect 30+ catches on 40+ targets and 200-300 yards and around 4 TD's.

Kids still a 2nd year WR and has to battle for oppertunities between 2 pro bowl WR's in front of him, a pro bowl pass catching RB and a really damn good TE. Asking him to have a much better year then an established guy that was in his place the year before is asking way to much imo. If it happens great, he's exceded expectations, but it shouldn't be the starting point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Not singling you out here Ric, just everybody excepts mediocrity. That is why the Bears have wandered aimlessly the last several years. If you are going to play 3 WR's then he should aim to be in the top 5 or so at his position across the league. If players in that position are gettting yds then if he is in the top 80% he should be around 800.
    A team is only as good as its weak link and if the bottom 20% is acceptable then you will not be a playoff team. I know this is a simplistic point of view but great players make others better, bad players make others play down to there level. I want to win the SB again before I die. I may or may not have another 20 yrs, but I would like to enjoy it and remember it. To me accepting poor numbers means we should have upgraded the position or mediocrity is ok. I believe Wilson did not need to be upgraded, now I want to see some top 20% numbers from him at his position. Basically I want above average play and I believe that requires more than most here are asking for.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

BSB, most teams are not going to have their 3rd WR behind w/their TE and RB for looks; and most teams would love to have just 1 top tier WR the likes of Jeffery or Marshal.

It's the exact opposite for me, it's not I'm expecting mediocrity from Wilson; Earl wasn't mediocre(he's not a 1 or 2 mind you), he has some of the most reliable hands in the league, but couldn't get more then 50 attempts his way. It's the shere amount of talent that is in front of the # 3 that limits his looks.

The Bears had something like approx 580 pass attempts last year(I'd expect about the same this year), Cutty completes about 63% of his passes, for approx 365 completions. Jeffery/Marshal got more then 50% of those(deseringly so), that leaves about 175, Forte and DaOD got about 112 of those(deseringly so), leaving 63 for EVERY other WR/RB/TE on the roster; of those Earl got about 50% of them, leaving about 30 for 5 other players over 16 games. And that was /w McCown spreading the ball around more evenly for 1/2 the season, I bet the #'s get more lopsided w/Cutty's numbers in his games.

There just aren't that many balls to go around for Wilson to get 50+ targets, let alone receptions unless you take away from Forte/DaOD and I don't see a reason to do that w/a 2nd year WR w/2 NFL catches to his name. I expect him to take the Earl Bennet role, get the same targets, maybe more yards and about the same TD's. And that's not a knock, it's just compliment to the guys in front of him. I don't want to see Forte's #'s go down much, and if they do I'd rather them go to Bennett. Forte is a lynchpin to this offense, and BU deserves more oppertunities to make plays if they do decide to limit Forte's role some.

• Like Like x 1
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Tice is the only offensive coordinator to use role players? I do know he liked the Randy Moss style of offense where he only called passes to his #1 receiver.

Cutler prefers to throw to Marshall in the end zone. He's got Jeffery, Forte, and M. Bennett after that to throw to. Just being realistic about his chances to score in the end zone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Tice is the only offensive coordinator to use role players? I do know he liked the Randy Moss style of offense where he only called passes to his #1 receiver.

Cutler prefers to throw to Marshall in the end zone. He's got Jeffery, Forte, and M. Bennett after that to throw to. Just being realistic about his chances to score in the end zone.

8. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I dont care about height or speed ... I care about HANDS.

Can you CATCH the rock yes or no ?

10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

All indicators say yes. He can catch them over top of the short guys using his height or outrun the slow guys using his speed.:rofl2::4 1 111[1]::laughing 019::rofl2:

• Funny Funny x 1