Marquess Wilson injured

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Aug 4, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

We'd be far better off with Bennett than with Baldwin but before we do anything let's see what these others can do. Josh Morgan is a pretty damn good WR for a #3 guy. He doesn't have Wilson size or upside but he has experience and he's been productive. I can't see how a guy like Baldwin would be a better choice than him.
  2. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Sad that the kid was starting to get it, but at least it's not season-ending,..fingers crossed. I'm not buying Weems as the next guy up. For me, size isn't the issue for a WR, especially a slot. Give me a guy who can get open and hold onto the ball. The Bears have not had much luck in converting returners to WR. Some guys are wideouts who can happen to return kicks as well. Some are just return guys. I see Weems much in that mold. He's a decent returner so let him concentrate on STs. Edwards & Scurlock seem more returner-types as well. Hopefully Morgan and Bellamy can step up. I don't know enough about Williams to form an opinion.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,234ß
    It's a tough break, but we knew injuries were coming. Even in a good year we'll have multiple starters go down - and some to season ending injuries. At least it wasn't B.Marsh, AJ or M.Bennett. And we have 8 WR's on our roster right now. And they are guys Cutler is familiar with, and who know our offense. Consequently Trestman may feel like our best option is already on our roster, and not feel compelled to bring in a guy.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    407ß
    OK, why you guys pulling my chain? It's a game of statistics someone is going to go down in tc looks like Wilson drew the short straw...somebeach somewhere my sig dude of course...
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,211ß
    I dunno Ski... Those days are gone. Lovie would have guaranteed him a spot, but as much as I liked Bennett, he would have to earn it on this team. Not sure he could at this point. Maybe, but for sure not a gimmee any more.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    This sucks.

I'm not so much worried about our team as much as I am for Wilson. Seems the kid had his head on straight and was really poised for a big year. While I think we can find a WR3 until his return, I hope it doesn't hurt his development and he can get back before the bye and contribute in the 2nd half of the season.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

I think because of the time he spent in Florida and with the progress he was making in camp this won't be much of a set back. I listened to his post injury interview and he's an impressive guy for a 21 year old. He's being very pragmatic about it and sounds like he'll keep his head in the game and work to get back on the field as soon as he can. He has a lot of confidence.

We're much deeper in receivers than we've ever been before and Trestman is one of the best contingency planners around so they'll find a #3 or they'll do it by committee and get the best out of it they can. We may be surprised by what these other guys can produce now that they'll get more snaps.
  8. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    Well, if he the Bears were open to signing him, but for less, AND he signed with the Browns for $750k, it should work for us now.. lol

Is he still willing to take $750k with the Bears?
  9. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    [​IMG]Bob LeGere ‏@BobLeGere now
    Oh, by the way, #Bears WR Marquess Wilson had surgery for fractured clavicle he sustained in Monday's practice. No timetable yet for return.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    Video: Wilson's broken clavicle exposes Bears' lack of WR depth

Rich Cambell and Dan Wiederer discuss the injury to Marquess Wilson.

One of the points they brought out that I found compelling was made by Eric Weems who says that it's a challenge for him to get on the same page as Cutler because Cutler is used to throwing to tall guys. Cutler has to adjust his game in throwing to shorter targets.

This relates to the thread from earlier in the week regarding Jon Baldwin (who is no longer available) and it does seem to ring true in what I remember as one of Cutler's weaknesses from season's past; he has a tendency to throw high.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,234ß
    Now with Martellus Bennett out indefinitely this is not good at all. One of the two biting the dust is one thing. Losing both is going to hurt if Bennett is gone for an extended time. I like to think the Bennett thing will be fixed and he'll be back soon, but there is no guarantee of that. We don't know what transpired between him and Trestman. Bennett could be on VERY thin ice here with his head coach.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,504ß
    I wouldn't worry about Marty B, he'll be back before game 1, I'm guessing he'll be back by PS game 3.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,375 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    To all the Chicken Littles out there.....relax!
    The Bears had a great opening practice week (with far fewer problems than other teams have had) and have now hit a bump in the road. Week 2 has been rough to start no doubt. But Bennett is just on a time-out and will be back. Wilson will probably be too in October. The season isn't lost.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,234ß
    A season is a long journey so definitely this is just a bump along the way. But we saw last season that too many bumps end up killing your season. Bennett may be back soon. He may not. We don't know. Wilson's surgery hopefully went well and he'll be back at some point this season and not have lost too much ground with the injury, surgery and long layoff. I will say this though. He's a very green youngster who was hoping to become a starter this 2nd season. This will impact him more than a veteran.

While we shouldn't overreact to a few bumps, it's still okay to not like the bumpy ride. Last season the bumps never stopped until the season went down the toilet. We've all seen too many of those seasons.
  15. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    So i never know anyone who needed surgery to repair a broken collar bone so did a little Googleing on the subject.

Only severely displaced clavicle bones will need surgery. In surgery, the bones are put back together with the use of screws, plates, and pins.
    Early Recovery
    After clavicle surgery to correct a displaced fracture, your only rehab concern is to keep your arm relatively still in an arm sling or a figure of eight wrap. The wrap is like a sling but wraps around your body and gives your arm, shoulder and collarbone more support. Your doctor will monitor your healing for the first six to eight weeks after surgery before prescribing physical therapy exercises. You can use the affected arm for simple everyday accomplishments like bathing, eating and getting dressed, but restrict your movements as much as possible. Do not lift, reach, push, pull or stretch with the affected arm.

At first i though oh week 2 he can be back but from this it looks like week2 he can start physical therapy. So he might be put on the PUP designated for return. I think that brings him back week 6.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,706 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,234ß
    Thanks, I was curious about this too. Some of us want to believe this is not a big deal and he'll quickly pick up where he left off in training camp. But reality is that this is a very promising, but green as a gourd youngster that was just learning his craft. Losing a few months at this point is a big deal physically and developmentally - he's not going to immediately pick up exactly where he was at TC. He'll ultimately be fine, but it will take SOME time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's November before he's performing like he was in training camp.