Marshal thinks Wilson is the steal of last years draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Brandon Marshall expects big things from Marquess Wilson
    Posted by Josh Alper on April 20, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
    [​IMG] AP
    The release of Earl Bennett in Chicago opens up a clear path for Marquess Wilson to be the Bears’ third receiver next season.
    Coach Marc Trestman would only say that Wilson will have “a chance to compete” for that job, but one of the two receivers definitely ahead of Marshall on the depth chart is expecting a bit more than that. Brandon Marshall said in an interview with CBSSports.com that he’s feeling good and looking forward to his “best year ever,” but the subject of Wilson was more exciting for him.
    “I really want to talk about Marquess Wilson,” Marshall said. “He came down and trained with us the whole offseason. We’re really looking for him to do some big things. This guy, he’s probably the steal of the draft last year. I’m going to say that. He came in, he put in the work, he looks like a body builder. Fast, strong, explosive. I’m looking forward to seeing him in OTAs.”
    Wilson is 6-4, which would make him, Marshall and Alshon Jeffery one of the taller receiving trios in memory. Bennett wasn’t targeted all that often last season, but the Bears offense will be tough for defenses to measure up to in multiple ways if Wilson lives up to Marshall’s hype.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    man I hope he's right; having 2 young WR studs would be awesome.
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +617 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    But but but but "Chicago is where WRs go to die".

BMarsh has done nothing but impress me since he came to Chicago On the field and off, in-season and off-season. He has become my #2 for favorite Bear ever.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    That statement definitely was true. Now that address has moved to Tampa Bay
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    I really like that MW isn't just biding his time but is working to earn it. Mentoring with Marshall and bulking up a bit (he was rail thin last year) speak volumes to me about this kid's work ethic. Plus he YOUNG, only 21 I think.

If he can take a nice step forward this year (maybe get a couple TDs and a couple hundred yards) then he was an absolute steal last year in the 7th.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,562ß
    The transformation in him is nothing short of amazing. He's become an assistant receivers coach for these young guys. How many vets get this interested in training their eventual replacements and in a contract year no less? That's having confidence and your abilities and putting the team ahead of personal agendas.

This is not the same Brandon Marshall who played in Denver. The original may have been kidnapped by aliens and they left this robot in his place. LOL I'm extremely proud and pleased he's playing for us and wants to finish his career here. He's on a HOF path right now and the help he's giving these younger guys achieve success faster is immeasurable.

I used to have a very strong dislike for the guy rivaled only by my extreme dislike for that drama queen Brett Favre. Now he's one of my favorite players and he's earned every compliment and kudo he gets.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    he said the same thing about AJ last year... hope he is right twice in a row
    • Like Like x 1
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    I hope Tolliver is on this same mentoring track as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    With regard to Marshall, I could not agree more with Sharky and soulman above. We only gave two 3rd round picks for BMarsh and everyone was "cautiously optimistic" about the trade based primarily on his production and his relationship with Cutler. Some of us were convinced that he would embarrass us with off-the-field problems; some of us may have thought that was behind him, but perhaps still feared he would be a prima donna type on-the-field. Few of us, if any, predicted that he would become the absolute ambassador of the Chicago Bears in public and the personification of a selfless team mate in the locker room. All this while overcoming a serious mental and emotional problem with grace and dignity. How can you NOT love this guy. I can't say that he has become one of my favorite ALL-TIME Bears (yet), be he is certainly in my top two (he and Charles Tillman) on THIS team.

On to Wilson. I was never on this kids bandwagon after we selected him in last years draft, but I was never a hater either. There were serious questions about him coming out based on the whole "quitting" thing, which is really the only reason he dropped so far. With that said, his whole issue was one mans word against another. Many of us tried to to justify his actions as the result of a real "dick" of a head coach and some of us called him out as a quitter. Well, sometimes there is a real fine line with unique circumstances. An example of some life lessons that we teach our kids that can create conflict are as follows:

Like most parents I teach my kids "Don't quit" right? My son is 17 years old and he's played baseball every year since he was 4. Some years have been better than others, and some years have been brutal. Occasionally he has wanted to quit and we wouldn't let him. We always said, "You don't have to play Baseball next year or ever again if you don't want to, but once you commit, then you commit for the whole season". I believe he has learned a lot from that position.
    By contrast, we have always taught him to stand up for other and walk away from a fight when you can, but when you can't, don't be afraid to stand your ground and never, NEVER allow yourself to be used or walked on by others.

So, was Wilson caught in the middle of a conundrum like this? Perhaps he didn't want to quit, but perhaps he convinced himself that by doing so, it would shine the light on the unethical practices of this coach? Was the coach abusing him or trying to use him as an example? Not all coaches know when to stop.

I hate quitters, but I admire those who stand up to bullies more. Regardless, if this kid has the kind of work ethic that Marshall is describing, then we may have found gold in the 7th round. Who knows, maybe this kid has a strong personal constitution and he's using the episode with his college coach as a chip to become something his old coach never thought he would.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,562ß
    Mike Leach has a rep for being a dikhead who isn't in any way a "players coach". He's a coaching dictator and not the benevolent kind. I think Wilson was standing up not only for his own rights not be treated like that but for other teammates as well. He's awfully young and by looks of him not the confrontational type either. That type will usually run rather than fight and that's what he did.

Anyway that's all behind him now and what he needs to focus on is becoming the best pro he can. He won't be treated like he was any longer and he's getting help from one of the best in the game. My only hope is that the kid finds a way to put on 15-20lbs of bulk and muscle. He looks more like a BB player than a football player.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Wilson was forced retracted everything he had said happened at the school when NO OTHER player stood up for him or stood against their coach.

That being said he's not there, and it appears he's working at becoming the best pro he can, which is all that matters for the Bears and their fans.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Now we can start on his body. Guess we are going to need some pics of him with his shirt off. Before and after, you know... the whole package. That should take care of posting for the next half a day. What are we going to talk about tomorrow? The draft needs to get here fast....
    • Like Like x 3
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,562ß
    Yeah, it's getting pretty pathetic isn't it. This is all Jerry Angelo's fault.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    As is Malaysion flight 370
  15. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    balls...we gotta see the balls!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    No Bob... Not that whole "package"
    • Like Like x 1
  17. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    As a female poster, I will be in charge of the team's body physique as I learn about them. Ha ha

This draft is bullshit. They are going to 'announce' who is invited to the draft tomorrow. Well, shit, if they know that, then the draft should start next week. This is stupid. These young guys need to start moving to strange cities, some with families, while learning a crapload about the NFL, get to know their teammates, coaches, etc. It's a huge transition in all areas. Now that window is shortened by 3 weeks. Not really fair to the rookies.

Let's get on with this already!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Best I can do. Behind Forte. He's getting there!! He's only 21 or so. Sounds like he's working hard.

On a side note, I love Jay fricking pale-assed skin Cutler right in the middle. And I do like that Palmer was there. And even Ryan Mundy! Marshall seemed to have guys rotating in and out for 2 weeks. And he planned fun activities like pottery and paintball and alligator tours and Chris Williams dunking basketballs . Call it 'weird' but how can that not strengthen a team? I love it. I love Brandon Marshall on and off the field.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    350ß
    I thought Marshall was great trade when it occurred and when Cutler said the Bear's would have no problems with him I believed him. I believe when someone vouches for someone else that person will become extremely loyal and try their best to keep that promise and that's exactly what Marshall has done.
    As to Wilson that was a out right thievery in broad daylight by Emery. Because a young kid can't get along with an asshole coach and quits that makes him a bad person WRONG! Says Emery will take him all you dumb ass GM's you can have Hester and Lovie. We go from zero #1 WR to 3 #1 WRs next year just watch the magic.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Damn Strock! All I can see is his nipple!