Marshall beefing up just a tad

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 2, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,287 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Bears receiver plans to play 5 pounds heavier in effort to gain more yards after catches

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

August 2, 2013

BOURBONNAIS — Brandon Marshall set a career-high with 11 touchdown receptions last season and he would like to improve his yards per catch this year.

Marshall is known for being a physical receiver who isn't easy to bring down and he wants to be more challenging for defensive backs to gain extra yardage that is out there. Marshall averaged 12.8 yards per catch last season, down from the career-high 15.0 he had in 2011 for the Dolphins.

Maybe a stronger lower body is the answer. Marshall said he plans to play at 235 pounds, up five from his accustomed weight.

"The thing that separates me, the thing that I can be the best at is breaking tackles and getting upfield," he said. "So I'm focused on getting stronger, especially my hip, my waist down area and maybe playing with a few extra pounds.

"I played since my freshman year in college at 230. This year I'm going to play at 235. I'm lean like I was in college at about 6.3 percent body fat, ready to rock and roll."

Quick learner: With D.J. Williams (right calf) sidelined and Lance Briggs taking a veteran off day, second-round pick Jon Bostic got to call the signals for the first team defense. Williams' injury has created an interesting situation for the Bears, who certainly want to get the rookie on the field this season.

"Jon is a very mature guy," coach Marc Trestman said. "He has to step up. He has an opportunity here, and not only does he have to do it there, he has to do it on special teams because he's going as a top-line special-teams player as well. It's encouraging.

"I'd like to temper the way I say things. It's only Day 6 or 7. We have a long way to go. And a true test of a first-year player is that he can sustain, durability-wise, energy-wise and have his legs under him. That's how the guys who have been around make it. They're consistent, and they're continually ascending. We feel Jon's on that track."

Health beat: Corey Wootton's ascension has been slowed at times by smaller injuries, so it was concerning when he left with a hip injury during Thursday's practice. Although he was sent for an MRI, Trestman was optimistic it is only minor. Arthroscopic knee surgery slowed Wootton as a rookie in 2010 and then a broken hand cost him time midway through 2011.

Offensive tackles Jermon Bushrod (right calf) and Jonathan Scott (right knee) and defensive lineman Jamaal Anderson (right knee) were out.

Extra points: Right tackle J'Marcus Webb took some reps on the left side, switching places with Eben Britton. … Cornerback Isaiah Frey, a sixth-round pick last year, continued to get his hands on passes. … Referee Jeff Triplette and members of his crew arrived in camp to work with coaches and players. They're reviewing rule changes and points of emphasis for this season. A video showed what is now an illegal peel back block on the play guard Matt Slauson, then with the Jets, cut Texans linebacker Brian Cushing, who suffered a torn ACL. There was also an unsportsmanlike conduct reference to quarterback Jay Cutler, for flipping the football at a Vikings player on the sideline. … The Alouettes fired coach Dan Hawkins, who replaced Trestman, after a 2-3 start and replaced him with general manager Jim Popp now handling dual roles. "I'm disappointed for Dan and trust that Jim Popp will do what's in the best interests of his team," Trestman said. "I love the players there. They're family."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...2-bits-bears-chicago-20130802,0,5265706.story

2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,287 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    I can see Bmarsh having less catches but making bulldozer like plays with his body after the catch. Like a Sterling Sharpe 2.0.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    But closer in size to "the mouth from the south" his brother Shannon. I can see DBs around the league texting one another and saying "aw shit", he's getting even bigger"? Now add to this Jeffery getting stronger and adding more muscle at 215lbs or so and they have both of them to contend with plus Marcellus Bennett at 265lbs and Earl Bennett isn't tall but he weighs close to 210 lbs and he's not afraid to take or dish it out either.

Man but we've come a long way from the Smurfs we used to have at WR and from an OC like Martz who claimed size wasn't important. (wonder how his wife feels about his attitude?)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,628 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    On the topic of Jwebb vs. Britton, either Webb's starting to look good, or Britton is simply the third tackle. Now, do I care which one of those two gets to start? No, not really, but my money's been on Webb since it was Webb vs. Carimi, and I'll double down on him vs. Britton and the rookie.
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    555ß
    I want 15 TD's from BM this year .
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    And let's have 8 or 9 from AJ too, please and thank you.
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    555ß
    Agreed
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Henry it ceased to be Carimi the day that Trestman declared him an OG and not an OT. From then on it was Webb vs Scott and I hope to God that Britten pushes Scott out. He concerns me even more than Webb.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,628 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    I thought Scott looked pretty good, given that he had less experience than Carimi, and was thrown into the fire.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,481 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Bushrod is a lock obviously at T. Between Webb, Scott, Britton, and Mills....how many stick? Only 2? Or do we keep 4 Tackles total? Would Mills survive a year on the PS if we tried to store him there?
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,288 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,717ß
    I actually think he would be poached.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,481 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    That's what I was thinking too, BiH. So either Mills gets the "injury redshirt" or more likely makes the team (and i hear he's been doing decently for a rook). That means one (at least) of the vet Ts gets the boot. My guess=Scott.