Marshall frustrated by lack of conditioning

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 27, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    By Brad Biggs
    Tribune reporter

2:53 p.m. CDT, August 27, 2013
    Seven months after arthroscopic surgery on his hip, Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall said Tuesday that his conditioning still isn't where he wants it to be.

Speaking after practice at Halas Hall, Marshall said he is frustrated with his conditioning after being given some rest during training camp in Bourbonnais and being held out of the preseason opener at Carolina.

Marshall has played in the last two games, catching four passes against the Chargers and then dropping a pair of balls last Friday at Oakland. Although Marshall said he hasn't had enough preseason reps, coach Marc Trestman already has announced that most or all of the starters will sit Thursday night against the Browns at Soldier Field.

“It's one of those things where I'm just trying to get healthy for Week 1,” Marshall said. “So you've got to have a game plan coming off surgery, a third hip surgery. So yeah, I'm not where I want to be right now. It's a little frustrating. But we'll see.

“I think it's more of a conditioning. So it's one of those things where you may be rushed a little bit and some people might think I need to be farther on than where I am. So it's a little frustrating not being where I want to be right now and maybe being pushed a little bit. So we'll see.”

Marshall said it was premature when asked if he believed this new offense is the right one for quarterback Jay Cutler.

“I mean, we'll see,” Marshall said. “It's still early. I'm still trying to figure out my role and my place in this offense, trying to get healthy and we'll see where it takes us.”

Trestman said from his vantage point Marshall is pushing as hard as he can to be ready.

“I know this: Brandon is working his tail off to try to get himself ready,” Trestman said. “He feels a sense of urgency. He is an elite player. He can only comment on how he feels. You saw him out on field at Soldier Field, he has moments in practice and in games where he plays at a high level.”

But Marshall isn’t there at all times right now and that has to be a mild concern for the club.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ars-brandon-marshall-20130827,0,4563212.story
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Might sound strange but I think this is a blessing in disguise:

1) Marshall gets less work and will get stronger as the season goes on
    2) Jay will have to target other players and extend his rapport throughout the offense
    3) Gives other players more reps and more comfort with the WCO
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Agreed. There is ALWAYS a silver lining.
  4. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Every silver lining has its' dark cloud......
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß

Not in my pocket there isn't. :(
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    Well compared to who we used to have at WR I'll take Marshall at 80% any day.
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Marshall is a true pro. He is not satisfied with being a stud, he wants to be a super stud :)
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    He is very high-mileage for a 29 year old player. I love how he fights for YAC and double & triple team coverage.......but his body takes one heck of a beating. All the more reason why it's stupid to over-use him if we have other great weapons that can help diversify the offense while giving B.Marsh a bit less wear and tear. I sure hope Jay continues to spread the ball around.
  9. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Yeah maybe he should take the Franco Harris approach and just run out-of-bounds on those plays where it's obvious he has run out of real estate and he's about to get hit . Worked for Franco (and extended his career some) so why not .
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I think he'll be fine if Cutler does what he did in the last game and spreads the ball around. Use B.Marsh, but not play after play after play. By not being a "one trick pony" on offense, we become a better team AND we may extend B.Marshall's career too. Three hip surgeries is not good. Not good at all.
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Even if Bmarsh struggles which I believe he will not. This to me looks by far the strongest group of WR the Bears have ever had. Be careful here the media looks to be stirring the pot a little here, because the mojo has been getting poured on thick even by the media so this just a little change of pace on recent runup of praise of Bears.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I agree. I'm not worried about B.Marshall. He's always had drops in the NFL, but he more than makes up for the drops with stellar overall play. It's one thing for a player to drop balls and also be a non factor in games like K.Davis. Quite a different thing to be a B.Marsh who may drop a few, but also make many HUGE catches in critical game situations.
  13. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not good news at all. Time for Jeffery and all the other guys to step up. Can't force a hip injury.