Marshall: NFL needs to take action on Meriweather

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    LANDOVER, Md. -- Brandon Marshall says it might be time for the NFL to sit Brandon Meriweather down -- or kick the Redskins safety out of the league all together.

Meriweather, who was fined $42,000 by the NFL last month for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Packers running back Eddie Lacy, drew two personal fouls in Washington’s 45-41 victory at FedEx Field Sunday afternoon.

He put a shot on Marshall near the goalline after an incomplete pass and officials deemed he hit a defenseless receiver in Alshon Jeffery earlier in the game.

“Guys like that really don’t understand that there is life after football,” Marshall said. “I respect the league trying to better our game and guys like that, maybe he needs to get suspended or taken out of the game completely. I understand. I get it. I was one of those guys. I played defense growing up. I was a headhunter. Even sometimes on the offensive side, I played that way. But with rules in place, you’ve gotta respect it.

“Guys like that just don’t understand. Those are the guys that are in trouble. They really don’t have anything to do after football because they think it is all about football. Guys like that, it’s tough.”

Marshall said he didn’t have anything to say to Meriweather, who played for the Bears in 2011, on the field.

“I am not going to say anything to him,” Marshall said. “My teammates did a lot of talking and I was thankful for that. It is part of the game. I am not venting or anything. I understand big hits, that is part of our game. But when you have a guy that does it week in and week out, that’s when it becomes a problem. That is the only reason I am talking about it.”

Meriweather has been fined big bucks in the past. He was fined $20,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit while with the Bears and $25,000 for unnecessary roughness. A $50,000 fine while he was with the Patriots in 2010 was reduced to $40,000 on appeal.

“It’s part of the game,” Jeffery said. “We are all trying to protect ourselves. It comes with the territory, playing football.”

bmbiggs@tribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs
  2. Evernight

Evernight

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    How many chances is the NFL going to give this guy to end someone's career? If they're as serious about player safety as they claim to be, something should have been done about this guy a long time ago. They need to make an example out of him. Throw the book at him. He's earned it and then some.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    He's actually worse then Suh, but Suh gets more attention, I agree w/BM, he should be suspended. He's been in the league long enough, and been fined enough to know how to play and what is correct and incorrect form.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. yttocs

yttocs

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Even when he was a Bear, I called him a headhunter, and didn't like him.
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Bmarsh has a legit point this needs to be addressed fast because this guy doesn't care how he hits you. He has been doing this his entire career even with the Bears. Time to find a new profession for him.
  6. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I would suspend him for at least two to four games. I understand that football is a rough sport but come on.... He's worse than Suh. Suh is like a gentleman compared to Meriweather.
  7. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +598 / 2 / -1
    What we need is a clear progressive discipline plan, similar to what we have for drug/PED abuse.
  8. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Adam Schefter · 350,557 followers
    20 minutes ago via mobile ·

NFL is expected to suspend Redskins S Brandon Meriweather for one to two games, per league source. The exact discipline still is being decided.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    1-2 games is pansy for this guys history, that's .5-1 game per dirty hit.
  10. Wolfman

Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 6 / -2
    IF this is the direction the NFL is going to go with regard to these type of hits, and it appears it is, what I would like to see is these guys get immediately thrown out of the game for this shit, with fines and extra game suspensions to follow...these players and teams need to be punished on the spot..rarely do you ever see a player ejected...too rarely imo...even with the 15 and a 1st, their is still too much celebrating these hits by the teams and fans...start tossing them as well, and that will quickly stop...
    • Like Like x 3
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    I would think 1 PF flag 15 yard penalty, 2nd on the same player....thrown out AND 15 yards
  12. Styx

Styx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I shudder to think this but are you guys talking about yellow card,red card like in soccer or however the cards work in that sport.
  13. Wolfman

Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 6 / -2
    Yes, a bit, but I agree is not an easy conversion....I do think throwing out a player after a single penalty for a dangerous hit is a bit harsh; honest mistakes do happen...however, waiting a 2nd on the same player in the same game is even more unrealistic...it just doesn't happen that often to make it worth it imo...maybe the first player gets a penalty and the whole team gets a warning....any player after that gets a penalty and tossed...

Personally, I don't even think these hits should be illegal, but the boat has sailed on that anyway at this point...the NFL is ruining the game of football imho....
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    don't think it's ruining it, but w/the threat of lawsuits, until they can collectively bargin a no suit clause this is what has to be done...and even after that to keep parents allowing their kids to play and to keep the elite athletes in the sport they need to show they are keeping them safe.

Ya something has to be done. These are elite athletes, and they should be able to keep their head up during a tackle.
  15. Wolfman

Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 6 / -2
    The cake is lie...football is not safe; it never was, it never will be...we either accept that or we poorly attempt regulate a false sense of safety which does nothing but ruin the game imho...if the NFL is only going be about great passes and amazing catches, then they might was well play pad-less, two hand touch...
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    No one is saying it has tob e safe, but it doesn't have to cripple the mind for life after football either. If most players are going to only last 4 years, and the really good ones maybe 10 years, then you are talking about 40+ years of life after football where it's now a waiting game on when, not if, the mind is going to deteriate.

I think it's two fold, I do believe they can make a better/safer helmet. They just need to look into it, think about what NASCAR is using, no they don't take the amount of hits, but the ones they do are A LOT worse. Motocross has a new helmet that they could use to mirror and work on.
    The helmet is the # 1 key to making people feel better about what they are watching.

If you think people want to watch people get destroyed, you are only partially right, Boxing was near dead before MMA, no one wants to see that kind of carnage. Hockey is getting a resurgcance, and the fighting/violence is being regulated out of the sport. People want to see big hits, but that doesn't mean they like to see headshots.
  17. Wolfman

Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 6 / -2
    I can't speak for anyone but myself...but I don't mind head shots...a head in a helmet is both a target and a weapon....I don't think Meriweather did anything wrong...although under the current rules, what he did was illegal...what the NFL is trying to create on paper isn't realistic nor all that enjoyable to watch in real life, imho. It's like watching NASCAR with a 30 mph speed limit...sure, it's safer...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,797 / 5 / -4
    I have not stopped enjoying watching football, and the game continues to get greater ratings every year....so I'll call bs on the idea that it's now unwatchable, or less enjoyable to watch.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    No, a headshot is never good thing. You ever see a guy with a brain injury? No need for that in any sport.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Wolfman

Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 6 / -2
    Like I say, I can't speak for anyone but myself; I know it's still the dominate sport in the US...but I personally find I enjoy it less and less...not just the over regulation of inherent violent and brutal nature of the game, but all the delays, breaks, reviews and constant bs filler bores me to death...slower and less violent is not headed in the right direction for me...
    • Like Like x 1