Marshall signs $40M extension

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, May 19, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Am i serious? AM I SERIOUS? Are you kidding me?

No. It twas a joke.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Well I feel like an idiot. But hey, it's the internet.. I've been called out on more ridiculous things in the past. My bad though.
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Great news indeed. I love watching Emery work.
  4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Another cool thing about Marshall is I think this could be his best year yet with us. It's his 2nd year in Trests system and he now has a legitimate threat at WR next to him. The OL is gellin and our run game looks to be solid still. You can't double Marshall and/or roll your coverage towards him without letting Alshon dominate across from him. And on top of all that last year Marshall spent the offseason rehabbing from surgery, this year he's grinding down in South Florida working on his stamina, strength, and cohesiveness with Jay & Co. He's been touting this upcoming year as his best year yet and I think he could really dominate out there. A full off-season to train rather than rehab? Watch out.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah but that guy had a wicked changeup to go with an arm that could reach 40 rows back with a peanut toss. Those guys don't come around often and he made the Cubs a lot of money on peanut sales.

Hooray for the Bears and for Brandon Marshall. This is a great event and a smart move on the Bear part. And like Chi posted you can't put a price on the work he does for the team in the offseason helping get the receivers ready.

After seeing him earlier in his career here in Denver what I want to know though is who were the aliens who kidnapped the old Brandon Marshall and left this version in his place? :rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,274ß
    Emery
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    And Ted Phillips, and Cliff Stein and the McCaskeys who own the checkbook. It's not a one man show going on there these days. There hasn't been a period in my lifetime when I've ever seen such a singleness of purpose on the part of all of them. Thank God Mikey finally left and George stepped in. This has been a completely different organization since then.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

I would also like to take a moment to gloat over my previous prediction that Marshall was serious when he said he wanted to finish his career in Chicago and that money would not be an issue as far as his signing and it wasn't.

Now all you doubters who said "I'll see it when I believe it" and Talk is cheap" can hang your heads in shame for doubting the man. This new improved Brandon Marshall v2.0 keeps his word. I still think he's an alien transplant though.

Somebody call Men In Black to check him out.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,274ß
    Congrats. He meant it.

But next time some player says that it is not about the money.... I will still doubt him. Because people who actually mean it when they say it are few and far between.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,539 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    540ß
    Not to mention that Cutler's deal didn't "break the bank". If it had, we wouldn't have gotten Jared Allen in the offseason.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

That's what I keep telling you all that he's an alien. :lol 027:

This is not the same Brandon Marshall who played in Denver. LOL

:drinking61:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,274ß
    It sure wasn't a "home town deal" though. But it kinda did break the bank. Bears got Allen thanks to a clause in the contract that postponed money.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

I don't know about that. I mean did it really when you compare it to others? $126 mil/7 years = $18 mil per and that's not the top of the market yet it's fair based on what he brings. Plus we can release or trade him after year three with very little dead money if it's not working out. It's pretty much a play for pay deal when you look at it that way. If he doesn't win he'll never see most of that money from the Bears.

I think the key to it working was getting as much of it onto the 2014 cap as they could yet still having the flexibility to reduce this years cap hit if they needed to and they did need to in order to fit Allen in at that time. But you're not wrong about the structure of Allen's deal either. His willingness to defer the biggest part of the guarantee until 2015 was the other part of making it work.

We spent a lot of money this offseason and I don't mean just cap dollars. The millions of dollars those contracts guarantee isn't chump change. George McCaskey wants to win and he's willing to spend to do it. Now how much of a change is that from the days when Mikey controlled everything? I gotta say that this is a Bears organization I almost don't recognize.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,274ß
    Just going off of total value of the contract.

According to Spotrac, his total contract value is the highest of all active contracts signed. Also is the second highest all time, behind one that Michael Vick signed.

I get that total value means nothing, but he was signed to a contract that has the highest total value of any current QB or player. Signing the richest contract kinda comes off as breaking the bank. Even if chances are slim he ever sees all of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Good for him and us.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,651 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    +1
    That's how I feel about it too. He's got 3 or 4 years of solid play left, and he's a huge weapon. I think one reason McCown was able to come in and do well last season, was due to the high level of weapons we have on offense now. With B.Marsh, M.Bennett, Alshon & Forte we have stellar weapons, and Brandon Marshall is the #1 of the bunch. He'll prove to be worth every penny of that contract.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    And who would have guessed he would become a true leader by example on and off the field when we acquired him? Certainly not this guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    A guy can make believe anything he wants Benji but in the real world cash is king. We're all millionaires in our dreams but our bank accounts don't reflect that.

One reason the dollar value is that high is that it's a 7 year deal. You can't really compare that with a 3 year or 4 year deal. Of course the total value will be higher but all that really counts is what it averages and how much of it you get to collect. Other than that it might as well be monopoly money.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Nor I or at least not based on his attitude while he played here. Talk about a wholesale change in a guys personality, but that can happen when you find out what's been making you behave the way you have been for so long. Just knowing the truth is like a miracle cure because you can finally do something about it.
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,274ß
    6th highest average 2014-2016, 4th (of 11)in 2017 (since its the four years that counts)

Not sure he is the sixth best QB in the NFL, but still say he got every penny he could and did not give a "discount" of any kind.

For what its worth, he is also 4th in 2018 (of 5), 2nd in 2019 (of three) and 1st in 2020 (though there are no reported contracts but his that year for QBs)..... but he wont see those will he? :D