Marshall signs $40M extension

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, May 19, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Yeah, I'd agree, there was no real hometown discount in there. So he got his price but we got what we wanted as far as the terms go. Max flexibility to turn salary into bonus and free up cap space and a bailout after year three. No poison pill "dead money" to have to consider.

Whether he stays past three years is based totally on whether he becomes a championship caliber QB. All things considered I'd take that deal on either side especially with $54 mil guaranteed. That should be more than enough to stock the college fund for the boys.

Or maybe it'll be like the Manning family and he and Kristin will raise a couple of future NFL QBs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. WarLax

WarLax Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    At the rate contracts are inflating, Cutler will be a bargain in 2020 if he is still here.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    Yeah but how many of those contract are going to be redone? Cutler wont be that close to the top in a year or toe when contracts start to be redone.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,772 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    I just look at it as Emery took care of business to put the team in position to win championships again. When you have a pair of weapons like Cutler & Brandon Marshall you pay the freight to keep them here. I don't think we over-paid. I don't think we got a discount. It's just the cost of doing business if you're truly serious about winning. There are a lot of teams that would kill to have Cutler/Marshall on their team and locked in place for a number of years to come.

I figure it's money well spent and am glad we have these two guys securely in place now.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Agree. There is a price of doing business. If you win, no one is going to care how much you spent on player x. If you lose, that is when the buried complaints likely come out.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,772 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    +1
    And you don't just shake any tree and have a Cutler/Marshall combo drop into your lap. It's not like we can easily find a pair like this "on the cheap" and Emery understands this. With Alshon Jeffery and M.Bennett in the mix - and Forte too for that matter - we're going to be a really really tough matchup for defenses this 2nd year of the Trestman system. The only thing we need now is to protect the football and limit the number of turnovers, and I think the run-blocking needs to improve this season. The yards that Forte is getting seems to often be in spite of the bad blocking. If we had a lessor RB we'd be screwed. Matt often makes something out of nothing, and of course he's a stellar receiver (perfect for the Trestman system).
  7. Rakk

Rakk Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I have gained respect for Brandon since he came to the team. I'm hesitant to let my kids admire pro athletes today, because so many don't provide a good role model. I'm not debating whether they should be role models or not, just sayin'... However, Marshall's personal story is compelling, and the guy has shown consistency since arriving that he's sincere. We'll see where he goes from here...on and off the field...but, I have to give him credit for the character improvement he's made

Congrats on the new contract!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

One thing I don't see Phil Emery doing is overpaying for a player. I think he's far too pragmatic for that and based on his handling of the Urlacher situation he's not about to keep players around for sentimental reasons just because they're fan favorites. That's not his style.

Cutler got a deal that was emminently fair to both sides but Marshall was a bargain. He playing for about the same kind of money he has been playing for the past three years and adjusted for a little inflation that's what he'll make for the next four this year included.

With the cap projected to increase as much as it is he could easily have bargained for far money after 2015 but true to his word he didn't which left the Bears in a better situation as far as extending Jeffery as well. It's a sweet deal for the Bears and Marshall is also happy with it so it's win/win.

Maybe it sets a good example for others down the line when their deals are due to an extension. Salaries have reached such a ridiculous level that even some players can't believe it. Like Cutler said when he indicated he had no idea how he would ever spend $54 mil. Unfortunately too many players and agents have used total contract value as a way to keep score and it shouldn't be. You need a team full of good players to win championships and that's hard to do when you have a handful of guys eating up 50% or more of the cap space.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß

Jimmors, meet the new Meathead, his name is The Newsman and his job is to provide the board with RSS stories.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,772 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    You could be right Soul, but I think Brandon Marshall's contract was about right for both sides. I think (hope) he'll be a solid player for the entire length of that contract, but he has had 3 hip surgeries in 4 years, and he's on the wrong side of 30 where many (not all but many) WR's begin to taper off. I also worry a bit about Brandon's style of play adding mileage on his body. While I love how he pounds and sacrifices his body for every inch of yardage after the catch (love it), I also worry about what his older body is taking on in the process. When I watch him get jack-hammered by defenders, who often just unload on the guy, I just cringe. He is fanatical about taking care of his health, but the punishment his body endures is still a consideration. When I add all of this together, I think that his contract was probably on the mark. But, I realize other teams could have paid him more. You are 100% right in that Emery is trying to be careful to not overpay these guys.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well all he's guaranteed is $23 mil so that's little more than two years salary at his previous rate annual which was $9 mil and change. So in effect all were paying for now is about two years. He'll have to stay healthy and productive to collect the rest.

The Bears are getting much smarter as far as these deals they cut with their star players. No more Pep like contracts that end up becoming a nightmare for cap management. If they're gonna guarantee something they want that off the table as soon as practical.

Four years from now it's conceivable that both Cutler and Marshall could be gone without handicapping us so much cap wise that it would be tough to replace them. We also don't want their cap numbers to be so high we can't afford to keep them like what happened with Pep.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,940 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,296ß
    Some people think it's too much for an older reciever. I think it's a bargain. Super production on the field and if he had anything to do with Jeffries development, it's paid back right there.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    How the hell did I get a dislike on my post?
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,772 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,357ß
    I saw that. Maybe he hit the dislike by mistake. I couldn't figure out what there was to dislike about the post. I just gave ya a "like" to even it out.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    best guess is he was using a mobile device and did not know he hit dislike by mistake........ that or he disagreed.....
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +754 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    Lol...thanks brotha! Yeah I couldn't quite figure it out either.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,940 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,296ß
    First, I like Cutler, but you can get better than Cutler. Not easy, but it can be done. With Marshal, you truly have one of the best at his position.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    But each one makes the other better. That's the magic of those two. I never would have believed it even after seeing it here in Denver but that was long ago and it only lasted on year. But they do have a connection between their brains that tells one what the other is thinking. The nice thing is Marshall has been willing to share that knowledge with the other receivers too.
    • Like Like x 1