Martellus Bennett thinks the Chicago Bears need new uniforms (what do you guys think?)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 20, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +491 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    169ß
    Yeah, once a player is fitted for the helmet they have to wear it all season. I think the NFL is being short sighted there though. There are interesting studies out there about helmets losing their effectiveness the more hits they absorb. Players should actually be getting new helmets throughout the season. This of course would be an added cost, but would be pennies to what they might have to pay out eventually in law suits and the like.

As for our uni's I would love to see them go to a powder coat navy blue helmet...that would be bad ass.
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,317 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    600ß
    Not only best in the league, but are usually ranked among the top in all of sports for best looking uniforms. It's no coincidence that the Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks and Cubs have uniforms that have remained virtually unchanged for many decades: classic looks are just that - classic.

Bears have an almost perfect color scheme: blue and orange are complimentary colors on the color wheel (this is the exact reason why many movie posters have a blue/orange scheme in them). The stripes give it that little extra something that separates it from being completely bland (seriously think about how many teams wear stripes and it actually looks GOOD), and their unique number font separates them from every other uniform. Combine all of this with the very simplistic helmet, and it adds up to a classic uniform.

With that being said however, the newer game uniforms are migrating to sleeveless, so something has to be done about the sleeve stripes:

[​IMG]

As it stands now, the classic stripes look cheap and tacked on because of the complete lack of sleeve real estate. Im not really sure how they can fix this, maybe move them to the shoulders? I dunno. But if i were to change anything, it would be that.
  3. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,317 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    600ß
    NFL helmets cost around $250, so 250x53= $13,250 per game x 16 games = $212,000 for the season, per team, for each player to get a new one each game. Still pennies to an NFL franchise.
  4. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Not fully true. Each helmet is checked and certified after every week. Often times certain players' helmets will be replaced midseason, and sometimes players will go through 3-4 helmets per season due to wear and tear. The NFL made this new rule because they found a single study which showed it might be hard for the equipment staff to properly maintain two entire sets of helmets, rather than just fixing/replacing helmets here and there. It likely won't have an impact on concussions, but it's just a little thing the NFL has done to fend off future lawsuits.

As for possibly buying a new alternate set just to wear only on one gameday, they won't go for that either. Players in general like to "break in" helmets before games, which doesn't make sense because the headslaps they take during practice are just as likely to cause concussions as ones during games. Anyway, the NFL isn't going to force players to go out there with brand new helmets and have guys claim their injuries came because they weren't allowed to break them in.
  5. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The Bears have been in existence for almost a 100 years. I don't see any need to change them. It would be just one more thing the Packer fans could make fun of us for. Some uniforms needed the upgrade, like the Patriots. But the Seahawks look like something out of a video game. I hope the powers that be don't entertain this idea.
  6. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,317 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    600ß
    Which is a bunch of bullshit, since the College teams can handle multiple helmet designs, for 70+ players, here's an article on that:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9829911/uni-watch-explosion-college-football-helmets
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    College teams have (a lot) less overhead.

College players do not receive any money for their on field game play, colleges are not required to pay for medical coverage in the event of catastrophic (read career ending and or quality of life changing) injuries, nor are they required to maintain a scholarship to a player who is no longer medically able to play.

Point is, Colleges have the extra money to play around with uniforms due to the vastly lower overhead.
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I know a motorcycle helmet is not constructed the same but if you drop one or have an accident it is recommended that you replace it.

There is no doubt in my mind that the protection would have to degrade after a season full of abuse. While replacing them after every game might not be ideal, I would think that several times during a season could be feasible.

A full season includes A lot more than just the 16 games during the regular season, it starts the first time they put on a helmet for OTAs
  9. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    True, but the NCAA also hasn't agreed to pay out a billion dollars in a settlement because of concussions. This is just something the NFL can throw out there (along with many of the new BS penalties/fines) to say "See? We're making changes because we care about safety." It's purely to cover their asses.
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +491 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    169ß
    I've worn many helmets in my life and never felt the need to "break them in". A helmet is a helmet.
  11. matsellah

matsellah Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,265 / 7 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It really is the off-season already, isn't it.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +491 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    169ß
    I'm not saying they should be replaced after every game, but maybe twice or 3 times a season.
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    lol I know hahah boredom is beginning to set in especially knowing that the Super Bowl is almost here, U guys on this forum make me miss Football even more. I'm not sure what ima do after I finish reading the Bears Books that I got for Christmas. I might get desperate and try watching some CFL football and cheer for the Toronto Argos when the season starts.....Oh GAWD what am I to do? I feel bad that I don't like the CFL, do my Patriotic duty and cheer for the home team but OMG I swear Canadian TV has not discovered 480p quality yet.