Martysauraus Rex: An Irreplaceable Force @ TE............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 20, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Yeah, it could all work out with what we have. Good receiving TE's are just worth their weight in gold now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

You betcha' which is why nobody seems willing to part with theirs if they're any good. Some of these guy are 6'5" to 6'7" go 250-270lbs and have close to the speed of a WR. Now that's a weapon to turn loose into a opponents secondary. Pretty soon we'll need Safeties the size of small LBs just to cover 'em.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I agree. The elite teams understand that the receiving TE position is an incredible weapon for a powerful offense. I'm thrilled we have Bennett. Adding a youngster in the draft would be a smart move next year, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I was hoping we would get a TE this year in the draft but realized it was a long shot. I am happy with the players we have but see a risk to the offense if Bennett goes down. We still need the blocking of a TE for the passing game and thus I do not see 4 WR sets replacing the TE if injury should occur. Yes we have some big recievers but losing Bennet to injury would take away one of our options. Maybe one of the other TE's on the team can step up but for now it is a risk until proven otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I think it becomes TE by committee then brother. I really don't have any kind of handle at all on this kid Miller but both Mulligan and Rosario have been around the league for a while so they know the ropes

Mulligan was an UDFA whose mostly been a PS guy or a late preseason release throughout most of his career. From what I can see he's not much of a receiver but he has the size to be an inline blocker and if he's lasted this long (6th year) that much he's probably learned to do. But he's definitely more a throwback type TE. More small OT than big WR.

Rosario was a 5th round pick by Carolina out of Oregon where he was an HBack/Full Back guy who blocked, caught passes and even had some carries as a FB. For us he's pretty much the same, a small TE and a backup for Fiametta at FB but he's caught enough passes in his career to know he can catch. To me he's kind of a Des Clark kind of guy. Not a modern prototype TE but still useful enough to help in several ways if we need him.

6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

By observing the way Emery goes about his business I'd say this is almost a certainty unless he can find a good young one in Free Agency he can get cheap like he did with players like Slauson and Mundy. How it plays out this year will give us a better indication of he ranks that need.

Whoever it is the he brings in will play second banana to Bennett so unless a guy he can't pass up falls in his lap in round one I think it's more likely he'll use a second or third round pick on one if there's talent on the board that's worth it. In those rounds I could see him making a move up to get the guy he wants like he did for Jeffery and Vereen.

We could use another year of observation too just to see how Trestman's offense develops in year two. We may never use two TE formations now as long as we have the other weapons we do. Some of the team who do use that don't have a WR like Marshall whose damn near the size of a small TE himself or a RB whose a good a receiver and open field runner as Matt Forte. So despite what other teams may do it just may be that Trestman can adapt without the need to two big TEs on the field at once.

7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I have to believe Trestman would like to add a 2 TE set. It could help the run game in short situations and Trestman could certainly design some passing plays out of the set. Bennett, Forte, Marshall, TE2, 5 linemen, QB, leaves room for 1 more, Jeffries or a FB type. We could do it now but TE2 has to be a threat and not just an indicator a run is coming. I may be wrong but I perceive the depth at TE is mostly blocking, not to say they could not make an occassional catch but hands do not come to mind when speaking of Mulligan and Rosario.

8. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Well we really don't know much about Mulligan as far as his hands go other than the fact that he wasn't thrown to much. So I think we can look at himas pretty much another OT with 50lbs less on his frame.

Rosario on the other hand has caught 100 balls for over 1100 yards in his NFL career and was also a productive receiver in college so we can probably assume that he can get open and that he can catch. But he's really more the HBack, move TE type we were looking for when we drafted ERod. I guess it remains to be seen whether or not Trestman can make use of his receiving skills. So far he hasn't but that was just year one of his offensive package. We should see more of it this year and maybe Rosario gets more looks.

Receiving TEs are getting to be valuable commodities so like certain other positions the chances of getting a good one cheap in Free Agency isn't good. So you have draft them and my guess is that's what we'll do. I think we may have done it this year if we didn't have those holes to fill at DT and S that consumed our early and mid round picks. After that the pickin's went from slim to none unless we wanted to take a risk with a bad boy like Lyerla.