Matt Forte target: 12 years with Bears and a Payton-esque plan

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jun 10, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,996 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/matt-forte-target-12-years-bears-and-payton-esque-plan

[​IMG]
    Matt Forte already ranks as the No. 2 running back in Bears franchise history, trailing only Walter Payton in such things as career rushing yards, rushing TD’s, per-game yards from scrimmage average, 100-yard rushing games, and games with 150-plus total yards.
    He will have difficulty catching Payton in most of those categories if only because the Bears’ offense ran almost entirely through Walter for much of his career. After his rookie season, Payton had just two seasons with fewer than 300 carries and both of those were strike years. Forte’s only 300-carry season was his rookie season (2008), and he is part of an offense that includes two Pro Bowl wide receivers and a tight end who caught more passes last season than Mike Ditka did in all but one in his Hall of Fame career.
    But Forte is less concerned with specific numbers than with perhaps reaching an overriding one that will take care of others along the way.
    “I think I can play 12 years,” Forte told CSNChicago.com. “I love this offense and we’re just getting started, too.”
    [MORE: Seahawks chatting with former Bears MVP Dent for tutoring]
    Coincidentally, or maybe not, a run of 12 years would leave him one short of Payton. But Payton played until his number — age 34 — which is what Forte would be in year 12 of his "plan."
    Forte has laid out a strategy that would have made Payton proud. Walter had his legendary “Hill” in Barrington, a steep slope on which Payton would train far beyond the limits of teammates who tried it with him.
    Forte has his own workout program but has added a pre-emptive element, that of working with a physical therapist not once, but twice a week.
    “Most people wait until they have something wrong before they see someone,” Forte said. “I think it makes more sense to be working on things before they become problems and keeping them from becoming problems.”

[RELATED: Paea: We're going to run through O-Lines that come into our stadium]
    Notably perhaps, some of the very reasons why Forte may not be able to reach Payton numbers — Martellus Bennett, Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Marshall, to name a few — could be his biggest asset in reaching his 12-year target.
    Forte had his least-productive season in year two, the one after his 316-carry rookie year. He netted 1,400 yards from scrimmage, a career low, and just four TDs, matching the career-low of 2012 when he missed four games with a knee injury.
    The more the ball is spread around to the offense’s target-rich environment, the better the chances of Forte hitting a career length that would be exactly double the average (six years) for a player making an NFL roster his rookie season.

I thought this was good insight when it comes to how Forte takes care of himself. I'd also point out what I have in the past, that Forte, while "old" in RB years, is actually a fairly low mileage w/only 1 season of more then 300 carries..
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +758 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    744ß
    I love Forte but I still believe it will come down to the business side of things. If he is looking to get the big payday on a second contract I do not see it happening. If he takes a team approach and friendly contract it may happen. If I remember correctly he was a finance major in college so he has probably done well with his last contract and may not be so interested in the money next time around as long as he feels it is fare.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,996 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    W/Emery it will come down to metrics and how he's performed compared to other rb's and how other rb's have done in their 30's.
    I don't think he'll be looking for a big payday, that's already happened(for rb's)
  4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    As BS said he should know his money and I think he knows Trest's offense gives him a big opportunity to have a great finish to his career. Forte's a smart guy and being around Jeffery, Marshall, and Bennett give him huge opportunities and this OL is very young. I don't know a better blocking receiver than Marshall and Jeffery seems to be adopting his habits. He has a chance to perhaps not beat out Payton, but make sure unless another HOF running back comes along he'll be safely secured far and away as #2 in Bears history books.

We need playoffs before we talk Super Bowl and we need Super Bowl before we talk more than one but this team has the foundation laid to be capable of being something special. If some of our previous picks were to play good-great such as Bostic, Greene, McClellin and to some degree Paea and Conte would help as well. Couple that with having some good to great drafts these next few years with free agency supplementing the rest.. we could have one hell of a team.. top to bottom. They can be good now and are built to be good later.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,996 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    I just love how he's so proactive when it comes to his health which will help w/his longevity.
  6. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Definitely, I remember since his rookie year people have remarked how he comes into the offseason just cut as hell. The fact he's already actively thinking about long term and having people work on him even before injuries pop up is going to be huge. Honestly when people talk about shelf life for RB's they use data that just really isn't as relevant anymore. Not everyone can come back from an ACL on a timeline like AP but with modern techniques it's more and more do-able to come back effectively. These guys are in way better shape than their predecessors and they have the best technology and techniques available to them. They do yoga and work out hard to prevent injuries, they eat right and they bring in physical therapists and such. That didn't happen before and I think you'll see cases where some guys just last longer because of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,996 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    Not just that Chi, but RB's have gotten smaller over since the 80's so of course they haven't been as durable, but guys like AP and Forte are bigger backs and will be able to last longer, even moreso w/Forte b/c he's had so many fewer carries then most featured RB's; maybe their touches are equal, but for a RB getting hit by a LB or CB is much easier on the body then getting hit by a 300+ lb DL.
    • Like Like x 1