Matt Forte

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Oct 30, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

So last week I posted some stuff on Alshon and his how he's become a part of this teams gameplan. W/Cutler out I think we all agree that Forte is now a bigger part of this weeksplan so I figured I'd post some stuff on him.

First, I did some # crunching, in total yards for the top 10 rb's(espn is a pain to get combine rush/rec yards and I'm lazy) so there might be some RB's that are left out of the top 10 and shouldn't be, but I don't believe it would effect the top 5, and that's important as you'll see below:

Forte 4th in combined yards only behind Charles(1) McCoy(2), and Reggie Bush(3). *note Forte is the only 1 that has had a bye week, and only Bush has had similar touches(approx 150) while Charles and McCoy have had 30-40+ more, not that Forte is going to get in 1 week the 220 some yards to catch them.
    He's is 5th w/rushing/Rec TD's, behind Charles, Lynch, Gore and Peterson, he's 1 behind the latter 3 and 2 behind Charles.
    He's 4th in yards per touch(rec+rush) behind McCoy/Bush and Morris, all averaging over 5.2 yards per carry(McCoy/Bush over 5.6).
    He's 5th in touches, behind Charles, McCoy, Lynch and Gore.
    He's tied for 2nd, in fumbles, w/1, only Foster has 0 fumbles of the top 10 rb's, and I'll give the edge to McCoy b/c he has 30 more touches, so let's go 3rd for Forte.
    So right now, you are looking at a RB that is top 5 back in total yards, TD's and ypt and fumbles. Not bad for a guy that's not an elite RB deserving of the contract he got b/c he was going to be to old.

Again I know it's b/r but Matt Bowen is now the lead writer there for the NFL, and imo that lends to SOME credibility. Here's what they said about Forte and the Bears ability to run against GB:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ack-against-the-green?search_query=matt forte

5 Ways the Chicago Bears Can Run the Ball Against the Green Bay Packers
    BY
    WILLIAM CAULTON
    (CONTRIBUTOR) ON OCTOBER 29, 2013

The Jenga tower is wobbling, and in a year where everything is different for theChicago Bears, it’s only fitting that they now turn to Matt Forte, the one constant through it all, to keep the tower from crashing.
    That seems to be popular narrative, anyway. Let Forte shoulder the load. Feed him the rock. Then feed him again.
    But consider the Bears' Week 9 opponent, the Green Bay Packers. They’ve got a stout run defense; the 84 yards and 3.7 yards per carry they give up rank fourth and sixth respectively.
    On the other hand, they’re even worse than the Bears at rushing the passer, according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required). In turn, they struggle against the pass.
    So it may be more sensible for the Bears to disregard the Forte narrative entirely. Throw the ball instead. Chuck it down the field and let Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall be the part-human part-falcon they’ve shown they can be.
    But that notion just doesn’t want to digest. Backup quarterbacks can’t be trusted to keep the Jenga pieces in place for very long. They have a habit of conjuring remarkable performances out of even the worst defenses.
    Thus, Forte will be called upon, but the Bears should forget the notion that it’s all about getting him touches. After all, 30 touches at a two-yard clip is actually a detriment to an offense. What the Bears need is quality production.
    What can they do?
    How can they minimize their no-gains and one-yard losses? How can they find consistent gains on the ground?
    Well, as it turns out, there are quite a few ways.

No. 1: Ditch the 3-wide look with Earl Bennett

Wide receiver Earl Bennett gets in the action, on average, 33 plays per game, of which 23 are passing plays. However, he’s targeted less than three times per game.
    What this means is that he has turned into a non-contributor, a decoy—the odd man out.
    It’s time for the Bears to start swapping him out more often for someone who can provide a bigger boost to the offense.

[​IMG]

Two options stand out.
    First is offensive tackle EbenBritton, the Jacksonville Jaguars’ second-round pick in 2009. Line him up next to right tackle Jordan Mills. It’s the we’re-not-putzing-around version of keeping a tight end or running back in pass protection. As you can see in the GIF, Britton, No. 62, has already shown he can be an effective blocker.
    The second option is swapping Bennett for backup tight end Dante Rosario. Pro Football Focus rates him as one of the Bears’ best blockers, and since he is serviceable as a pass catcher, it wouldn’t limit the offense as much as Britton’s addition would.
    In either case, the substitution better equips the Bears to run the ball effectively.

No. 2: Pull Kyle Long to the left side and run it wide
    Rookie offensive guard Kyle Long has received high praise this year, and for good reason. In addition to providing solid pass protection, he is the team’s most effective run blocker. And with rare athleticism for a 300-pounder, he’s shown the mobility to be an effective pulling guard.
    To play to their strengths, the Bears need to make a concerted effort to run plays where their best two run blockers, Long and left tackle Jermon Bushrod, can lead at the point of attack. Running off tackle with Long pulling is a prime way to do this.

[​IMG]
    The Chicago Bears can maximize their running efficiency by getting Kyle Long and Jermon Bushrod at the center of the attack. Adding backup tight end Dante Rosario's presence strengthens the blocking unit while letting Martellus Bennett act as a slot receiver.
    There’s an added benefit to running outside the tackles. In Marshall and Jeffery, both giants compared to the cornerbacks who cover them, the Bears have two of the best blocking wide receivers in the game.
    Getting Forte in space, where he can use his agility and elusiveness is most effective, should be a priority for the Bears.

No. 3: Run at Mike Neal
    Pro Football Focus rates Packers' outside linebacker Mike Neal as the team's worst run stopper. In six out of seven games he’s actually had a negative impact in the run game. That alone is enough to warrant this approach. But the fact that he’s coming off a shoulder injury that limited his action in Week 8 solidifies this as a strong option for the Bears.

No. 4: Feature the Alshon Jeffery end-around
    The Bears want a strong ground game to help out Josh McCown, but their rushing attempts don’t have to come solely from Forte. The wide receiver reverse with Jeffery has proven to be an effective option. Six times this year the Bears have run the play, resulting in gains of 38, -8, 27, 15, 11 and 5.
    The play is effective in part because it catches the defense off guard. Admittedly, overuse of it would reduce the play’s effectiveness. But they haven’t saturated that market yet, so it should be a weapon they utilize at least twice against the Packers.

No. 5: Encourage McCown to run
    McCown proved against the Washington Redskins that he can make plays with his legs. His runs of 11, 13 and 10 yards were key components of his successful performance.
    Against the Redskins, though, there was concern that if he went down with an injury, no one on the roster could fill in. Come Sunday, that concern needs to be left at home.
    For one, the Bears have backups now. But more important, at this juncture of the season, they simply can’t afford to play conservatively.
    The coaching staff should encourage McCown to tuck and run whenever he has the chance. In general, quarterback scrambles are one of the best risk-to-reward plays in the NFL. They almost always yield positive yardage, and they rarely result in a turnover.
    If McCown can add 30 yards on the ground, it’ll be a sizeable boost to an offense in need of just that.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

Article updated: 10/29/2013 9:30 PM
    Will Bears rely more on effective run game?
    [​IMG]
    Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte could be feeling the pressure with quarterback Jay Cutler out for at least three weeks. Forte is seventh in the NFL with 533 rushing yeards and he's averaging 21.6 touches per game.

ASSOCIATED PRESS, 2011

By Bob LeGere
    The Bears are tied for 22nd in rushing attempts, but their ground game has still been extremely effective. Despite getting an average of just 24 attempts per game, the Bears are 14th in yards per game at 112.9 and fifth with a 4.7-yard average gain per carry.

With quarterback Jay Cutler expected out at least three more weeks, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the offense lean more heavily on running back Matt Forte. He's seventh in the NFL with 533 rushing yards and his 4.6-yard average per carry is tied for seventh among the rushing leaders. *this is rushing only*

But the versatile Forte is already averaging 21.6 touches per game.*this is rush/rec combined*

"We don't expect anybody to put the weight of our football team on their shoulders," coach Marc Trestman said. "We've got plenty of guys to do that. Certainly Matt is part of that ball distribution. His touches are certainly important, (and) he's getting a lot of them.

"We'd like him to be more productive, but we'd want to be more productive with everybody. We're not going to put it all on Matt to get us through this. We've got 11 guys on every play on offense to get us through it, and that's the hope that we can get that done."

Forte says there's room for improvement in the run game, despite his own impressive personal numbers.

"It's average right now," said Forte, who expects more work. "We've been doing well. We haven't really run the ball a whole lot like we're probably going to at home when the weather changes.

"We have gotten a lot of big plays out of the running game. We've got three 50-yard runs. I think we can continue to get those chunks of yardage in the running game as we go down the stretch."

Forte has runs of 50, 53 and 55, and wide receiver Alshon Jeffery has added scampers of 38 and 27 yards. *those bolded are big boy #'s*
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz

I'm not sure I agree with taking Bennett out of the game. Josh seems to have a connection with him. When Josh came into the game, I remember thinking, hey Bennett is on the field, he has been invisible most of the season. On the other hand bringing in a "Heavy Package" to attack the edges of the defense makes pretty good sense to me. Just for avoid the strength of that D line up the middle.

" But more important, at this juncture of the season, they simply can’t afford to play conservatively."

I actually like the idea of McCown spreading the Packers out even more with his feet.

I'm not delusional enough to think that we can win a shoot out, but if we can somehow keep the ball out of Rogers hands, the rest of the team is beatable.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01

MD, I think I agree w/you on taking Earl off the field, but if it means putting in a 2nd TE to block and help open up holes, then whatever it takes to keep ToP in the Bears favor. And I do agree w/you, no way we can win a shootout, Trestman/McCown have to play smart ball control, no mistake football....and even then w/the D as it is it might not be enough.
  5. A-11

A-11

I was about to say something... But I got my Bennett's mixed up. Keep DaBU on (even if to line up in the slot like the pic) Earl #80 I'm on the fence with... 33 snaps, 23 passing plays, 3 targets isn't good. Md made a good point though, and that was with Cutty so if it is better for Josh I could see it. But 3 targets has to be adjusted if you have him out there, I'd rather have DaBU out there if that is the case. We can't use decoys, we gotta jump the ditch with live ammo to beat GB.
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz

"Jump the ditch with live ammo"

That conjures up two thoughts. 1) you play video games or 2) You served and that is a seriously memory that will never leave you, Iknow it is the latter for me.
  7. A-11

A-11

Md, unfortunately that wasn't a reference to either. I just had a flash back to the early '90 and duck hunting after high school/college. Not exactly Duck Dynasty over here, but anyways my waterfowlin' came in two flavors:
    1.) Sitting in a blind/ground cover with decoys, coffee, wet dogs, lazy, and productive. (Better experience)
    2.) Jumping ditches; No dogs (or in the vehicle), Binoculars, Shotgun in hands, and more productive. (Better yield on time)

If Earl is out there he needs to be used. If Josh doesn't target him more then Jay did I'd rather have two TE sets like the picture illustrated. It might not be the best way to do it, but it just makes sense to me. Thought of that line because with Green Bay it seems like it is going to be more about the shooting than the hunting...
  8. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Where is Michael Bush? We barely use him. He should be in the game when we are in the 10 yard line.
  9. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot

I thought this was a pretty good article even if I disagree with a little of it-thanks for posting. As pointed out I think how you use Forte has and will always be the most important aspect of his involvement in this offense. Personally, I think he's best used between the 35 yardlines. He can't start a drive, and when he finishes them it's just as likely to be from midfield as it is from the 2 yardline. We have other great finishers anyways, Bush, MBennet, BMarshall, AJeffery, RGould...It will be up to McCown's passing to get the drive started, which imo is the quarterback's primary job, and if he can do that we stand a chance. If he can't we will get laughed out of green bay and we will know who our starting quarterback is.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

Captain, in the past that's been very true about Forte, but this year he's got 6 TD's(if he keeps this up he'll smash his career high) and many of those have been from the redzone. A lot of that is b/c of playcalling and max protect OL help.

But I agree that there are plenty of weapons to spread around in the RZ so that's not even really an issue. Right now Forte is still as important to this teams success as he's always been, and w/Cutler out it's even more important.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Green Bay will focus on taking Forte away as a threat, and dare McCown to beat us with his arm. In Josh's career he has more ints than TD's with a completion % in the 50's. I expect any passes will be quick dink/dunk passes, and GB knows this and will be ready. There won't be a vertical passing game. Josh had a surprise factor last game. But now that GB can prepare for McCown, there is zero surprise factor. GB will be probably make his night miserable.
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman

I hate quitting before the game is played and the "rep" of the team we are going to play.

Lets just fucking get in on.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01

True, but they've been trying to take away Forte even w/Cutler. I would still assume Forte will have a okay game.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I agree, Forte is always a threat they have to worry about. But, from their standpoint, they know McCown is limited with his skill-set. This will allow the Packers to focus a bit more on what can hurt them. If they can take away the running game, and we have to rely on McCown's arm to win this game, it's probably going to be a long frustrating night.

The Packers are an excellent run-stopping defense (4th in the entire NFL right now). They are a top-10 team in sacks so far too. One good thing for the Bears, is that Clay Matthews is out for this game with the broken thumb.
    • Like Like x 1