McClellin to compete at strong-side, middle linebacker

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 20, 2014.

1. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Oh, absolutely. I was thinking more if the top OL/TE was available but if their top safety or db is already off the boards, then they have a big decision to make. Again, I'm too impatient and don't know what the hell will happen in FA.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    I think in most cases that is correct, but knowing Emery I think if his guy is on the board, it won't matter Clowney were on the board still I think he'd go up there and get his guy and people will defend it saying, well there's a reason that guy dropped and there's a reason the Bears took Truitt at 14(strictly an example).
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Ric after the combine we get back FA and the draft.
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    I don't think our points actually are in disagreement here. I don't put much stock in pre-draft hype that hasn't been there throughout the season (something doesn't seem right about Manziel suddenly being a more hyped prospect than Bridgewater, for example), but my point was less on "first pick MUST be spent on the d-line" and more on "offseason priority #1,#2,#3, fix the d-line". I would prefer a top prospect at NT so we can finally have a guy with real skill and athleticism collect double teams, but whatever Emery does, I will trust him.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    Henry, well that is where we disagree b/c I think the priority #1 is fix the DL, priority 2 is fix MLB, priority 3 is the DB and priority 4 is fix the depth problem. You can fix the DL all you want, but if you don't fix the DB's the qb is still going to eat your backfield. You might get more sacks, but it won't be enough to compensate for the times they don't.

The entire D needs a facelift minus OLB, and that means you cannot say you HAVE to pick x y or z in the first. You have to look at what is available at 14, and what will be available in the 2nd-4th also.

That being said, I saw an article on espn today saying that it's possible that Emery will want to try and trade back if the offer is near equal; so it's possible he's looking at someone that he knows is going to be farther back in the draft so 14 might not be where the Bears end up anyways.

Now all this changes in FA, if the Bears get a starting CB and 2 S's, one of which is a starter opposite Conte, then ya you go DL first and 2nd.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +700 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    I agree to a point. I agree that the DL needs to be fixed asap. I tend to disagree in that if we have a dominant d-line that will hide our deficiencies in the back 2/3's. Take the Giants for example. They won 2 SuperBowls with a dominant d-line and question marks galore at the linebacker and DB spot. A d-line who can disrupt the qb always makes the back 2/3's better then they really are.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,334 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    375ß
    I agree.

I realize we have holes all over the place and you can't pass up a clearly better player in the draft just because you are trying to patch up a certain position. But, all things equal, upgrading the DL as a highest priority would carry the most bang for the buck so to speak. The ability to stuff the run and rush the passer covers for a lot of weaknesses elsewhere.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    The Combine is wrapping up ... next up is FA.