McCown doesn't plan to retire

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Jan 19, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +577 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10318023/josh-mccown-chicago-bears-does-not-plan-retire

Josh McCown doesn't plan to retire

Chicago Bears quarterback Josh McCown, who will be a free agent this offseason, has no intention to retire, a source close to the 34-year-old veteran told ESPN.
    In what promises to be a thin crop of free-agent quarterbacks, NFL executives believe McCown and Michael Vick will be the top two options for teams searching for someone to compete for a starting job or back up an established starter.

Due to a surprising number of underclass quarterbacks returning to school, this year's draft also is thinner at the position than some expected it to be.

Chicago wants McCown back, and quarterback-needy teams such as the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans also could be interested.

It leaves McCown, who some though could retire, in an enviable position in which he will have a chance to play if not start -- something he intends to pursue this offseason.

McCown filled in admirably for Chicago this season while Jay Cutler was injured, leading the Bears to a 3-2 record in the five games he started. McCown appeared in eight games overall this season, passing for 1,829 yards and 13 touchdowns with only one interception.

--------------------
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    I still believe he stays in Chicago. They likely already have a deal agreed upon (even though he cannot officially sign it for a while).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    I will always believe that a large part of his success this season was due to the scheme, players and head coach here. Put him on another team and I don't think he thrives like we saw. With Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, M.Bennett & Matt Forte - along with better pass protection - he had an IDEAL offense here. I love the way the guy played, but I just don't see him having this kind of success on just any team. But - some crazy GM will probably throw a lot of money his way. I wouldn't blame him for taking "The Big Payday" somewhere else. We can't (and shouldn't) throw crazy money at him to keep him.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    McCown said this same exact thing. It is nice when you are in the right scheme. He knows the system is what made it work for him.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    Exactly. And we currently have guys catching the ball that all you have to do is just chuck the ball in the same general zip code they're in - and they go up and make the catch. I don't know if there are many teams that have these kind of go-up-and-get-it receivers and TE's. And Forte is no slouch catching the ball either.
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    why in the hell would he?!? its pay- time!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Matt Flynn got 9 million guaranteed for a three year deal from Seattle because of one great game against a Lions team that had given up. If there are fewer prospects available, there is no reason McCown should return here. If he can get a stupid team to give him even half of Flynn's money at like 5 million guaranteed on a two year deal, more power to him and he should take that money and run.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    So ..... if he leaves .... is Mirer still in shape ? :p
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,198 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    There was an UDFA that didn't get a fair chance with Jacksonville. Matt Scott. That dude has a canon for an arm, is widely recognized as a genius, and is pretty much well liked by everyone. I've talked to a lot of my friends, and they agree Matt Scott is pretty awesome.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,446 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    227ß
    I have no doubt that Mier could have done what McCown did, even out of shape. Scott would be a nice steal, not expenensive, better arm, still smart and knows his role. Won't happen though, the team will again put to much money into the backup qb spot.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    I agree with what you're saying. I wouldn't expect anyone to pass up millions of dollars if a big payday comes their way. I'm just thinking the new team may not have the resources to allow him to play at the same level he did here in Chicago. But hey, take the money and run. You gotta take care of your family, and this may be his one big shot at a decent payday.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +577 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    Exactly. Why Emery didn't try to pick him up is beyond me.
  13. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't expect him to pass up his one chance at a big contract either. I'm just not convinced anyone is going to give him one.

The comparison to Flynn is not appropriate. Matt Flynn was much younger and his limited body of work was impressive. Seattle thought he would be their franchise QB and paid him accordingly. I can't imagine ANY team will look at a 35 year old who has failed in several previous destinations as someone to give starter money to. He has a nice run and did what a backup is supposed to do. He deserves backup money. Which is $2M a year. And I think the Bears will pay him that.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    How do you figure this Scott guy wasn't allowed a fair shot in Jax? He was a UDFA rookie in 2013, and he's still on their practice squad. To sweeten the pot, his old college coach is the QB coach there. If anything, his best shot is with the Jaguars.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,818 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    I hope you're right, and I'm not claiming that I have a clue as to what will happen. But there have been a number of articles saying Josh is going to get some nice offers. These could all be people who don't know any more than we do, so who knows what will happen. NFL Insider reported they thought he'd get at least what Orton got to be the backup in Dallas ($10.5 million dollars with a $5 million dollar guarantee). Keep in mind that there are a number of crazy GM's out there that do crazy things with money. I don't expect the Bears to overpay the position for a backup. They can't. The money is going to be tight, considering the many holes we have coming up with the roster.

Ric and MP think the re-signing will happen, and they seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.....so maybe I'm worried over nothing. I hope so anyway :-)

Here's the NFL Insider blurb. If you google McCown you'll find a number of rumors regarding McCown. That doesn't make them believable though.

16. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Bulger got 4 million dollars as a one year backup QB. If somone is looking for a QB that can start for a year maybe two and is willing to mentor their up and coming rookie, yeah, there will be teams who are willing to pay more for their vet backup than you think because they are paying their rookie QB under the rookie cap.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,198 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    1, it as Jacksonville 2, I know a lot of people that have paid attention to Matt Scott over the years, and they all say he is pretty badass
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I cant imagine any team is going to pay Mc pseudo-starter money (I.e., "Flynn" money). That would be exceedingly dumb especially in a flat-ish cap environment. The going rate for "upper echelon" vet backups is about $3-4m/yr. But Mc will be 35yo and was not considered anything more than vet-minimum quality until this year so I think he ends up getting $2-3 million.
  19. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Yes, it's Jacksonville. What about his time there makes you think he didn't get a chance? I'm not being a jerk, I don't know anything about this kid. Did he not play in preseason or something? Did the coaches ask to borrow Lovie's doghouse for 2013 and throw Scott in it?

To me, his college coach is there, and his college coach being there is probably who brought him in. They haven't cut him. If it were me, until the team makes a decision to part ways with me, I'd stay where I have friends and coaches on my side.
  20. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +324 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Because he made vet minimum this year should have no bearing on how much he makes in 2014.

Based on McCown's demeanor, lack of injuries, and success in our scheme, I'd call him one of the top backup QB prospects of 2014. No ego to manage, no off the field crap to worry about.

Let's say he lands a two year deal at the top of your salary range of 3 million a year. That's still more than what we will be looking to spend with Cutler's cap number this year. Because of that deal, I'd say we are at the bottom feeder level of #2 QB salarywise. And I think McCown get just a shade more than that if his agent is good.