McCown doesn't plan to retire

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Jan 19, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,894ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10318023/josh-mccown-chicago-bears-does-not-plan-retire

Josh McCown doesn't plan to retire

Chicago Bears quarterback Josh McCown, who will be a free agent this offseason, has no intention to retire, a source close to the 34-year-old veteran told ESPN.
    In what promises to be a thin crop of free-agent quarterbacks, NFL executives believe McCown and Michael Vick will be the top two options for teams searching for someone to compete for a starting job or back up an established starter.

Due to a surprising number of underclass quarterbacks returning to school, this year's draft also is thinner at the position than some expected it to be.

Chicago wants McCown back, and quarterback-needy teams such as the Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans also could be interested.

It leaves McCown, who some though could retire, in an enviable position in which he will have a chance to play if not start -- something he intends to pursue this offseason.

McCown filled in admirably for Chicago this season while Jay Cutler was injured, leading the Bears to a 3-2 record in the five games he started. McCown appeared in eight games overall this season, passing for 1,829 yards and 13 touchdowns with only one interception.

--------------------

2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,214ß
    I still believe he stays in Chicago. They likely already have a deal agreed upon (even though he cannot officially sign it for a while).

• Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,781ß
    I will always believe that a large part of his success this season was due to the scheme, players and head coach here. Put him on another team and I don't think he thrives like we saw. With Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, M.Bennett & Matt Forte - along with better pass protection - he had an IDEAL offense here. I love the way the guy played, but I just don't see him having this kind of success on just any team. But - some crazy GM will probably throw a lot of money his way. I wouldn't blame him for taking "The Big Payday" somewhere else. We can't (and shouldn't) throw crazy money at him to keep him.

• Like Like x 3
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,214ß
    McCown said this same exact thing. It is nice when you are in the right scheme. He knows the system is what made it work for him.

5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,781ß
    Exactly. And we currently have guys catching the ball that all you have to do is just chuck the ball in the same general zip code they're in - and they go up and make the catch. I don't know if there are many teams that have these kind of go-up-and-get-it receivers and TE's. And Forte is no slouch catching the ball either.

6. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    722ß
    why in the hell would he?!? its pay- time!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. weneedmorelinemen

ßearz ßuckz:
    493ß
    Matt Flynn got 9 million guaranteed for a three year deal from Seattle because of one great game against a Lions team that had given up. If there are fewer prospects available, there is no reason McCown should return here. If he can get a stupid team to give him even half of Flynn's money at like 5 million guaranteed on a two year deal, more power to him and he should take that money and run.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,294ß
    So ..... if he leaves .... is Mirer still in shape ? :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    There was an UDFA that didn't get a fair chance with Jacksonville. Matt Scott. That dude has a canon for an arm, is widely recognized as a genius, and is pretty much well liked by everyone. I've talked to a lot of my friends, and they agree Matt Scott is pretty awesome.

10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    I have no doubt that Mier could have done what McCown did, even out of shape. Scott would be a nice steal, not expenensive, better arm, still smart and knows his role. Won't happen though, the team will again put to much money into the backup qb spot.