McCown doesn't plan to retire

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Jan 19, 2014.

1. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If McCown costs a penny over 2 mil we would be stupid to bring him back,...and this is from somebody who truly believed he was the better option at qb. We just can't afford to sink that much money into qbs, not with this defense.
    Our best option now would be to let McCown walk, hopefully he doesn't go to the Vikings. We could pick up something cheap in the 4th or 5th round of the draft, especially with everybody downgrading the qb talent and the qb whisperer in our back pocket.

This won't happen though. We live in the Cutler bubble.
    What will happen is that McCown walks for big $ and we don't draft anything but defense.

Jordan Palmer. The next coming of Josh McCown.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    291ß
    McCown is as good as the O-Line. 2-2.25 mil.

No way Jason Campbell 3.5 mil. money. it cant be afforded.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,090 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    Agree, JJ. McCown will end signing with Chicago for $2-2.5m + maybe a small incentive package. That's my hope anyway.

Some are going to bitch about that saying its "too expensive". Lets remember that he's a proven successful backup in this system which he knows and executes very well. Lets remember that Jay Cutler can't stay healthy for a full 16 game season and hasn't since 2009. Lets not forget Jason Campbell and Caleb Hanie.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I hope he stays, and for that amount. Odds are Cutler is going to get hurt (historically). We lucked out with McCown. If we have a lesser backup QB, the season will tank something quick (especially if the D is recovering). McCown is a good insurance policy at 2.5m.

I don't think any of us know McCown personally so I can't say he won't do a "money grab". If his agent can get him a starting QB job at 3 or 4m, I don't see why he wouldn't take it. That is if he just wants to chill in his last years of his life and keep the bench warm for Cutler.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    2 mil is 1.5 mil to much, anything more then 2 mil let him walk and bring in another deadbeat to do exactly what he did last year.
  6. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    it's just that easy!
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    McCown has had such a bad career that apparnetly it is.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,090 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    No one is saying McCown is a "special athlete" or anything but he had spent about 2 full years with the team before he came in to play week 9 and he's been repeatedly commended for his smarts, team attitude, and hard work in mastering the system.

I'm not saying he's indispensable by any means but don't think you can just sign any old FA vet off the wire and voila! expect the same results. See: Campbell, Jason.
    It was a good fit between a good QB coach, a good backup QB candidate, and a good surrounding cast. Yeah, I think that's worth market value for.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,138 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    448ß
    Getting a solid QB is never a slam dunk. Most teams don't have a solid backup like we had this season. Usually your season ends when the #1 goes down to major injury. And in fact not every team has a decent starter - much less a backup who can win games. I'm not saying we have to have McCown back. But it's not a "given" that we shake any tree and a solid QB drops into our lap either. If we could get Josh back for $2 mil a year, that would be money well-spent. He'd be worth that kind of money.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I totally agree JABF. 2m is worth the insurance policy of your most important position. And it's not a theory either, we watched Josh keep the team afloat just fine. I'd say if our D was at their best and Jay was just a tad bit less injury prone, we could risk the gamble on another QB.
    • Like Like x 1