McCown not a sure thing

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 2, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Interesting to say the least, Looks like he may be seeing $$$$

upload_2014-3-2_14-48-42.png
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,440 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    619ß
    I'm not gonna put much stock in a simple blog from someone I don't even recognize. McCown has also said he'd like to stay in Chicago so I'll just throw that out as a counter balance to this. I don't deny that it's possible but it's pretty easy for Emery to either put an offer on the table this week that may pre-empt it or allow him to take some offers but ask for the right to match what someone else is offering. He deserves more than a one year vet minimum deal and if Emery can give him that so he knows he may be here for at least two years then he may be able to move him family to Chicago and I think he'd like that.

It's 50/50 of course but they still have Jordan Palmer signed and if Trestman could work his game with McCown then Palmer may be able to do it as well and there are other free agents out there they can sign as well. I don't believe McCown will go somewhere else just to be a $2 mil backup if he can remain with the Bears. If someone offer him double that he has to consider it but he should also consider what he's getting himself into. He succeeded at the level he did because he's a smart, experienced QB but also because he played in an offense that was nearly perfect for him. At age 34 or 35 I doubt he wants to go somewhere he may be sacked 40 or 50 time this year as a starter.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    Again I'll say it, the Bears have limited resources to give their backup qb b/c of the contract they gave their starter, so if someone were willing to give him an extra 2-3 mil why WOULDN'T he look at it? I'm not saying a bottom feeder, but a .500 or better team(like Chicago) offers him the backup role AND more money why not take it and run he knows he only has a few more years left and it's not like he ever got that big starter contract he has to look at taking that money. And I wouldn't hold it against him.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I agree, Makes QB a need. I was hoping to avoid this need. ( Free agency or Draft) gonna need one potentially if McCown moves on
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    depends on what Trestman thinks about Palmer. If the team trades back no reason for them to get a mid to late round prospect regardless.

I'm kind of tire of the it's not a need also; drafting a young qb/potential replacement in any position is never a need until it's too late, see Urlacher/Tillman. But that is exactly what you need out of your mid to late round guys, not day 1 starters but backups w/potential to maybe a starter down the road. Cutler is the starter for the next 2-3 years and maybe more, but if the team doesn't find his replacement until then it'll be to late. Better to be like GB and always have a potential replacement then be Dallas and have a franchise guy(Aikmen) and then struggle to find the guy once it's too late. And it's rarity to be a team like Indy to have that guy and then all of a sudden get the 1st pick in a year w/a near sure thing to replace him at the end of his year. I'll take the GB approach everytime.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    I can't remember a year where we had this level of needs. It will be a good year to see just what we have in Emery. It's going to take an incredible off-season for him to patch together a team, considering all the needs. The defense is a shambles, yet we could still use a couple of important players on offense too, including the backup QB position. It looks like a multi-year process to fully fix all of the needs correctly. But hopefully he can fix enough that we're able to retake the division from GB this year. Tough task ahead for sure.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Would be nice to delay this a year though with all the other holes. A young backup is always good to have for every position. That was part of what Ted Phillips, Bears President, stated when hiring Emery was lack of depth at positions and how it separated us from the Packers. Emery did a nice job on Offense, Hopefully a major improvement on Defense this year and maybe next yr he can begin the stated goal of getting some depth. With the current situation this is probably not the yr either. We had a good year on Offense but if we lose 1 or 2 Olinemen or Martellus Bennett we have no back up plan. I am worried about all the needs on Defense and yet we are one injury away on Offense from having similar discussions. If we did not lose Melton, Briggs for 6 or 7 games, DJ, and Collins to a degree last year would we be having these conversations??? Peppers ___ Yes. The whole D overhaul??? Defense starts up front and wondering if we fix the line if the sun still isnt shining.
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +485 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Me BAD Left Tillman off the injured list
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß

Ya it would be nice to delay it a year, but isn't that what we have been saying for the last 2-3 years?
    Every year will be another pressing need over qb and another "you cannot afford to get this or that b/c it's not a need." though. At some point you just have to bite the bullet and do it. CB was never a problem there was always more pressing needs, until it was a problem and a pressing need.
  11. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like McCown a lot but I wouldn't offer him more than a 2 yr, 4M contract. If he leaves we could resign Palmer for less than 1/2 of that & maybe draft a guy late or bring in an UDFA as a 3rd arm & possibly delevop.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,440 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    619ß
    First of all Emery left himself in this position and I believe that decision was intentional. He'll deny it but to me it's pretty clear he'd like to usher the Lovie era and those players out the door and replace him with his own. The only problem is that so far he's screwed up royally doing it so that's making it harder to work his plan.

IMHO when your defense struggled as much as it did last year you DO NOT rid yourself of still productive vets who helped make that defense a top five the year before it's collapse and age had very little to do with that. It was the injuries and extremely bad coaching that did it. Before you send them packing if I'm Emery I'd make damn sure I had competent replacements for them and in most cases he doesn't.

So he has a dilemma over who to keep and who not to and free agency can only do so much. Unless your buying a top tier guy you're buying another teams castoff who may not even be as good as your castoff. Was Anderson a better SLB than Roach? Nope, he was just a lot cheaper is all and not only did we lose a good SLB but also a MLB who could have played after DWill went down.

When he decided to let Urlacher go (and make no mistake he did after it became clear he wouldn't just retire) maybe he should have kept Roach and not replaced two starting LBs with cheap vets with no experience in that defense and especially a MLB with an injury history. Philonious Phil outsmarted himself last year big time expecting things that didn't pan out but to his credit he's at least partially admitted it.

I'm also having a little bit of a hard time buying into the "getting younger" BS when the average age of the Bears players he's re-signed is right at 30 years of age and they average nearly 8 years of NFL experience. I do admit that four of them are valuable starters but the rest are those same cheap vets he signed last year. The only difference is they're his cheap vets as opposed to someone else's.

So now come the time when he needs to deal with the guys who really count. The rest of the defensive starters from 2012 and early 2013. What's he gonna do now? That's the mystery that keeps us on our heels right now about FA and the draft. He has so many holes to fill and so many of his own players to decide what to do with we can't predict what's gonna happen.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,440 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    619ß
    And I'd agree with you Jim or at least that the offer I'd extend and possibly include some bonus money if he has more starts because Jay takes some hit to his paycheck if he misses them. If Emery had to stretch a little beyond that I wouldn't rule it out but in reality that's where the bonuses come in. It's like we can only afford $2 mil for this but if you do more than that then there's extra money for you but it doesn't count against the 2014 cap.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Anderson was a better Sam than roach....I don't get how you can say he wasn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm with ya Soul. I'd have no problem making it an incentive laden contract. If he ends up playing a lot he definitely should get more $$.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Excellent point about the bonuses.

The market value for "high end" vet backups (Cassell, Daniels, Campbell) has been about $3-4m/yr lately. Now McCown is older than most so he should command a little less IMO. And I think he really does want to stay (not just bs from his mouth) for reasons we have been over many times, so a 2yr/$4m or so deal with some incentive bonus money is reasonable from the Bears and might be enough to put ink on paper here.

I have no way to know this but my hunch is that the offer is already on McCown's desk. He will have a few days here soon to field other teams' offers and see if there's any that appeal to him more all things considered. I hope he stays.
  17. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Me too MP.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    only problem w/expecting him to take less is that he had a career year for himself, and most backups in the NFL. He'll get at or above vet money. If he decides to stay w/the Bears he'll have to take less, but it won't be because a tea didn't offer more.

Butkus3595:
    Anderson and DJ both were great pikups, only inj's derailed that, hell Anderson until all the inj's was probably one of the best D players on the field, been a long time since you could say that about a Bears SAM. DJ was having a damn good year also, those 2 were picking up the sacks where the DL was failing.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I agree with you there ric.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,440 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    619ß
    Nope. Anderson may or may not have been his equal in pass protection but despite the number of tackles he had against the run he sucked. The only reason he even got that many tackles is because the line sucked, especially McClellin who was playing in front of him and the lousy play by the Safeties. Somebody had make a tackle but when it's 5 or 6 yards beyond the LOS that's not great LB play. If Anderson was that great butkus why aren't we hearing anything about him returning but they say they'd like to have DWill back?