McCown not a sure thing

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 2, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß

This is getting to be a circular debate. The entire defense stunk and Anderson was part of that. This whole debate started when I took the position that Anderson was not the equal of Roach in THAT defense. I stand by that opinion and I think the season proves that was correct. But again it's simply my opinion based on two things; 1) how the SAM plays in that defense, and 2) my observation of Anderson's play at SAM. He was simply the wrong guy for it and Emery and IMHO his scouts and coaches should have been aware of that.

You may have seen it differently and that's fine but at the bottom of it all he's been replaced by two guys competing for a position neither has played in the pros. If he had done his job all that well he'd be back on another one year deal and at least be a vet backup at WLB which I believe he'd probably be better at. Whether they play that defense the same or not remains to be seen but if they do Bostic surely isn't the right guy to play it either and with McClellin playing it they better rethink it and get better run control from the LDE which may be why they aren't so hot on re-signing Wootton instead of finding a really good run defender to play in front of McClellin.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Brother this whole post confirms exactly what weneedmoreline and I have been saying. I'm gonna address it and then I'm done because we're just agreeing to disagree and that's OK. They're just opinions.

First highlight; Which proves that in that defense the SAM LB doesn't have the same responsibilities as he does in the one the Bears have been running and did run last year. That's why Anderson had as many tackles as he did in Carolina and if he was all that much superior to Davis I think they would have found a way to keep him around. For as little as the Bears paid him why didn't Carolina release him and re-sign him?

Second highlight; Which further confirms what we've been saying. His responsibility was not to penetrate to make those tackles. It was to hold his gap and prevent big runs to the defensive left. He's not supposed to be the gap shooter unless that's what Tucker asked him to do and I suppose as fucked up as I think Tucker's coaching was that's always a possibility.

No it wasn't all Anderson fault and I never implied that it was. But if you're shooting gaps to make tackles in the backfield you're not playing the gap control that SLB position was designed to do and in that respect Roach played it well and Anderson did not. This all about Anderson the Bears LB not Anderson the Carolina LB. I don't give a rip what he did there.

If he's in the backfield trying to make a tackle and he misses, and he did at times, then he's not playing his gap and there is one hell of a huge hole there especially when McClellin was getting blown out of his gap on most every run play to that side too. So the final conclusion I came to in the beginning was that Roach played that position the way it was supposed to be played and played it pretty well and Anderson did not. That's all I was saying.
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    First: They didn't keep him around not because Anderson wasn't superior to Davis...although Davis is very good. Davis signed a 5 year deal for 16 million. With all the linebackers they had, I'm assuming the Panthers, with needs in other areas and not a lot of cap room decided spending more money on the same position probably wasn't the best idea. They also have Keuchley's contract coming up soon and you can bet he's going to want to get paid his due.

All I'm saying is the whole defense was such a cluster F*** that I'm not going to pin anything on any 1 particular guy. I'm certainly not going to do it to the one guy who stayed healthy all season. We'll see what the next season brings. However, as much as I respect your opinion, I trust game film more. I'm not one for anecdotal evidence. As you say, we agree to disagree...and sometimes thats the whole point of this board.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    Not only was the whole of the D a dumpster fire, butAnderson was one of the lone bright spots on the field most times, him and Jennings and special mention to Wootton for doing a admeriable job attempting to play DT, everyone else was either inj'd or should've seen playing time at the NFL level.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    It was based on observations of the exact same games we both watched not anecdotal evidence. We just interpret what we saw differently. It's a merry-go-round and we're just riding different horses. LOL

Anyway, I don't know how we ever got into this hijack in a McCown thread but anyway I'm goin' back to McCown.

One thing that bothers me is his most recent comment about needing to consider moving on. Maybe I'm off base here but it would seem to indicate that the Bears have given him a figure they can live with and if Emery is true to form that's gonna be it. All we can hope for is that he hasn't turned into the ghost of the '60s George Halas and is squeezing the nickel 'til the buffalo shits.

If they make him a "fair" offer I believe he wants to stay here but after his performance last year and all he's done as a supportive backup and undeclared assistant coach the last thing we should do is lowball him. The guy deserves a decent deal and I believe it should be for more than one year so he can consider bringing his family to Chicago. On another one year deal that's not happening and that's important to him.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Yeah, not sure how that happened either. I think McCown just wised up a bit and realized this is his last chance to make some good coin in this league and is playing every angle of leverage he has.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Uncle Phil is gonna "welcome him back with open arms" this year :-)

[​IMG]
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    :rofl2:
    If those are the exact same arms he welcomed Urlacher back with I'm gonna give a new nickname. "Alligator Phil". :bah:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    Reality is that the Cutty contract was always going to temper their ability to put MORE money into the backup. I agree w/Soul here, they'll have their bottom line # and won't budge, much if at all off it. Nor should they, if a team is going to give big bucks to McCown and he wants to take it, let him and wish him well. What this team proved last year was tht w/this talent around the qb, and w/Trestman at the helm they can take any qb and make them passable should Cutty go down and they have to start. There should be zero reason to have a backup qb at 4+ mil.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    On a side note...how do you guys do that with the agree check marks, and the funny check marks. All I can do is like a post.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    I haven't found the "funny" one yet so I'd like to know about that one too but the "thumbs up" or "down" are hidden just below the reply icon.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    If another team wants to pay McCown $4m+/yr, then he should take the money and run and I wouldn't blame him one bit. The Bears can't/shouldn't match that. But....

If Emery lets him walk for the NFL-equivalent of change between the cushions of the couch, then I'm gonna be really pissed. Make a solid damn offer. 2years/$4-5m (total) with incentive money as a sweetener. Cutler hasn't played a full season since 2009. McCown has proven he can get you a win or two in this system if called upon. He also has value off the field as a mentor to a possible draft pick without being a distraction or QB-controversy stirrer.

Make a real effort to keep him, not just a phony half-hearted one.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Yeah, no...I have the thumbs down thumbs up thing...but every now and again I'll see a green check mark for agree where the like or dislike thing would be.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Hmmmm, I don't get that just the thumbs for like or dislike and nothing that allows me to rate a post as funny. Maybe it's the browser that influences it.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    All the added stuff is for people that paid to be a member on the board.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Ahhhh...gotcha.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    if you were a paid member you could put "informative". If I didn't have 2 kids and 2 dogs I'd be a member too. maybe the next time I get a good payday at the poker table I will.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    It's only $25, and it helps Ski with the costs of providing the place here for us. I figure the board is especially well run here. The other messageboards I've been on are nothing close to being as well-run as this one. So I figured it was worth giving Ski something to help pay the light bill :-)

If anyone is interested, here's the link explaining all of this:
    http://www.dabears.com/threads/become-a-superfan.510/
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Hmmm now it looks like he is unlikely to re-sign with the Bears as per nfl.com....( I speel right know?) Lol
  20. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Yep, you're the guy. I missed this earlier. I guess I can respond now.

Maybe I am missing your question, and I'm sure you know this, but you would take your SLB off the field in passing situations because that's when the NB comes on the field. When did Anderson become solid against the pass? I've never thought of him as a good pass defender. I know he's bad against the run this year because I got to watch that.

From all the articles I have looked up about Anderson being released from Carolina, it was partly due to cap reason (5 years 22 million is midlevel expensive), part due to injury reasons, but mostly it was because he was bad against the run, and it is specifically detailed that he was bad against the run his last two season in Carolina. Hah, I just looked up his contract on rotoworld. Here's the blurb:

"Anderson, 29, was a March salary cap casualty after back-to-back brutal seasons in Carolina, particularly as a run defender. Bears GM Phil Emery should continue to add talent at linebacker via April's draft. Sun, Mar 24, 2013 04:28:00 PM"

Now, Anderson has been bad against the run for three years. Is someone going to sign him because of what he did in 2010 was just amazing?