McCown not a sure thing

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 2, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    Check out his scouting report, he's graded out excellent against the pass. You could feasibly take any linebacker off the field in nickel situations. Usually your Mike and Will are better against the pass than your SAM is, so he ends up coming off. This year that happened not to be true for the Bears. Would you take Anderson off and leave Bostic and Greene on the field? Would that be an ideal situation for you? I never said he was an elite run defender...another example of what I talked about with there being only 1 extreme or the other. I can't really judge him on this year against the run because the whole damn team was awful against the run.
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +416 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    148ß
    No, you don't feasibly take any linebacker off in this defense. Your MLB calls the plays, and your WLB is still your surest tackler. You take your SAM off the field because his responsibility is to take on the TE in a running down. If your opponent is not in a running down situation, his job is not relevant and you get another CB out there to take on the extra receiver the offense will be bringing out.

Here's a question for you: When Anderson was out there in the nickle, was he playing the SAM role?

Bostic and Greene couldn't call the plays in the huddle. As rookies, no, I would not leave both of them out when Briggs was hurt and Anderson was making the calls.

I'm not saying elite run defender. He's a shitty run defender. There. That's the extreme. That's what he is. He's not solid, or okay against the run. He's bad. Against. The run. The Bears could not stop the run. He was a part of that. There are plenty of players that are seeing a change of scenery because they could not stop the run last season. Shea is not a DE anymore. Peppers is done here. They'll both find work elsewhere, but Anderson will be on another prove it deal.
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    Sigh...listen, we can go around in circles all you want. If you want to get hung up in traditional roles of defenders in certain defenses fine. The fact remains that Anderson was the best option left to stay on the field during the Nickel situation and no he didn't play the "SAM role". Now you're just arguing to argue. In college we played a 4-3, I played SAM 3 of my 4 years, I also played Will my sophmore year. Because of my ability in the pass game I stayed on the field during passing situations. I was also very good at setting an edge though. My coach wasn't like...welp....Butkus plays SAM...so even though he's better than our Mike in coverage we have to take him off the field in nickel situations, because if we kept him in we would have to line him up at the SAM spot. Thats pretty stupid.
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +416 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    148ß
    The best option on a bad defense doesn't make him a good player. It just means we need to get better options.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +933 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    Semantics. Doesn't change the fact of what happened.