McCown wants to be a starter, so probably won't be re-signing with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,304 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    578ß
    4 teams are Bears, Buccs, Jets and Texans
  2. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's bnot the end of the world if it happens. I am pretty confident that Palmer can be a great fit for Trestman's system.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Welp, hopefully we can find a good prospect late in the draft. Good luck to McCown (please don't go to the Jets) wherever he goes!
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,304 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    578ß
    im kind of hoping he lands with the Texans, he could do some damage with Andre Johnson
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    The Texans have been open about wanting Clowney, and reports I've seen indicate they aren't comfortable with the QB prospects at #1
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +698 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    415ß
    If Cutler goes down again, we'll need more than Palmer and a late round prospect. Wouldn't mind the Bears taking a QB in the third-round, to be honest.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Ya know, we fans never REALLY know these guys, but everything we've seen shows that he's a class act and he's getting a shot at a second chance (or 3rd or 4th or 5th depending on how you look at his career). I think we would all like to keep him, but we know the Bears can't just give him what he wants given our needs on Defense and the cap situation. So, with that said, I wish the guy all the success in the world, as long as he doesn't go to a Division rival. Regardless of where he goes, I really don't think he's going to have the same success he did here for 5 games and he really does not have many years left. I haven't given up completely on our chances to bring him back as there are always a lot of cheap talk and smoke screens this time of year, but I do think those chances are pretty slim, so good luck Josh and thanks for all your help.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    but, but, but he's supposed to know that he's only good b/c of Trestman and all the talent around him; he's supposed to know that he's not wanting to learn a new system!!! He's supposed to not want/need the kind of money other teams are going to offer him!!!

btw, how many times did I tell all of you that the above was a sload of crap. Of course the guy believes in himself, and of course he's going to want to be a starter and get paid as such.

If a team is willing to give him starter cash and the shot to play, more power to him and wish him all the best, unless he's playing Chi-Town.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    Yeah, good for him. If he can get the money and a chance to start he's got to take it. Although the Texans have some offensive line issues...but that defense is going to be off the hook next year(as long as everyone stays healthy of course).
  10. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +348 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    Hey, I said Houston as a possible landing spot way back, but it looks like that post was swallowed up by the board.

He wants a chance to start. Houston would be the best chance for him to actually do something with offensive weapons already there.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    I said the same thing WNML. If a team like Hou or KC or AZ one of those teams w/some solid talent also were willing to pay him, not the dregs like Jax/Cle, then there was no way he would want to pass it up.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +348 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    Yes, we all know that you have been a champion of McCown and his ability to start in the NFL :).
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    Nope, I still think the team that signs him will regret it. But I believed a team would want him and I did believe he would get a shot outside of Chicago; plenty of teams are dumb; a full 3rd of them actually if not more.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +348 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    I've been saying he is gone from this roster since before the season ended, but he will be good for whatever team gets him if they have the right mindset. If Houston signs him thinking he's their starter, then they are at risk of failure or at least without a long term plan. If they sign him and take a QB in the 2nd or third round this year to develop and possibly start behind McCown, then that is the idea I have been touting since December.

He's a good player, Ric, and good for team chemistry wherever he goes. This isn't a waste of space like Charlie Whitehurst is.
  15. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Palmer signing is a good indicator McCown won't be back. I wish him luck, but I believe he will struggle elsewhere.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    WNML, well we'll agree to disagree there, I agree/d that other teams were going to want him, and not just the dregs that were desperate. But his career says he's not a good player, that he's a below average player and the past year was an exception to what he has always done. And while I never believed that HE believed it was Trestaman and the weapons...it WAS Trestman and the Weapons. He's going to flop hard wherever he goes, but he deserves his shot to go out and complete for a starting job and make any money any team is willing to go.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    He's a good player in the right system with talent surrounding him. Nothing about his career suggests otherwise. He'll be a great locker room guy though, and would help groom whatever young qb comes in.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    This does explain the Palmer signing though, I would guess that a 4th-6th rounder is brought in to be "groomed".
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,108 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    I agree with Ric on this. I don't blame McCown one bit for wanting to take full advantage of his last shot to A) start/compete to start and B) earn as much as he can. But I also doubt he will replicate his success last year somewhere else or end up being "a good buy" for whatever team pays him Cassel-money (that's the market we are talking here, ~$5m/yr for a stopgap quasi-starter QB). Ric calls it dumb, guess I call it desperate. You're hopeless in the NFL without a plausible QB so teams that are without one often take desperate measures.

For instance, Houston has Schaub who's a proven fail and Yates/Keenum who suck. There's no Luck in this draft who's worth wasting a #1 pick on over Clowney. So.....there ya go. Josh may be their man they're willing to throw some money at while they develop a 2nd or 3rd round pick rookie.

On the other hand, Ric, there's an article on NFL.com today reporting a recent interview of McCown. In it he explicitly talks about "money not being the only thing in free agency" and how much he recognizes the role coaching/cast had in his performance last season. Call it BS if you want but I do think he's genuinely conflicted and simply can't pass up the $$ coming his way in the wake of the recent Cassel signing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332348/article/josh-mccown-free-agency-about-more-than-money
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,712 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    697ß
    MP, I think he's a genually good guy and ya it's mostly BS, just like the idea of wanting to stay in Chicago. Much Like Michael Bennett wanted to stay in Sea; well of course you want to stay where you are; until you find out that you can go elsewhere and make more money.