McCown wants to be a starter, so probably won't be re-signing with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 10, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,246 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    288ß
    There's a big difference between saying you "want to stay" in whatever city and saying that you're not even gonna take a realistic look at FA. Or what Byrd is doing in Buffalo right now--he wants outta there BAD and virtually no offer they could realistically make would keep him. Rumor has it he already turned down $10m/yr.

Anyway, I do believe McCown would have prob stayed if not for a good chance to start elsewhere and the market spiraling upward past the $3.5m or so that was typical last year or two. Call me naive if you want. I wish him the best.
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    You guys always go to the stats from ten years ago. "What is the player doing now" is the question you should ask. "Is that player physically not performing well due to age"? McCown doesn't have a great arm, but he moves well in the pocket and makes great decisions.

We'll see what happens this season. I'm going to bet that whatever team gets him will be happy with what they get.
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    Ok, what is he doing now...let's look at the last 4 years...last year...career year which consisted of 5 starts, 1800 yards, the second time in his career he threw more td's than int's...and overall personal best. 2012...cut in camp and out of football, 2011 2 starts, 400 yards, 2 td's, 4 int's, 2010...OUT OF FOOTBALL. No offense, but more than a few of his "great decisions" last year could have easily been INT's if not for Marshall and Jefferey. Thats what he's doing now.

Lisyen, I'm not trying to take away from what he did last year. He was great FOR US...key word for us. But if you look at his career, or his last 4 years...whatever...nothing suggests more than he benefitted from the talent and system he was in...which sounds weird to say about an offensive player, specifically a qb in chicago. If he can get good money and an opportunity to start, I'm ecstatic for him because he seems like a good guy. But can we please stop making him something he's not?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    Aren't you the same guy that thinks Anderson is a good linebacker?

Uh, maybe you don't know this, but McCown was signed to the 2012 roster Nov 12th after Cutler went down. This is what happens when you just go to nfl.com and look at the stats to argue your point. You don't know the roster. He never saw the field, but he was here.

If you don't know the 2011 season, let me tell you. McCown spent all of training camp with the 49ers and was cut September 2011. We signed McCown in November 2011. He started for the Bears one month later in an away game against Green Bay. One month of prep. Started the next week against Minnesota. Despite getting sacked 7 times, he moved the ball, ran for first downs in a shitty offense, and we won the game. That's when I thought the guy still had game. It was the Minnesota game.

If you want to go back to 2010 when he played for the UFL, that's exactly my point. Who cares what he was doing four years ago when he is successful now? So, whatever team he is interviewing with is going to look at his time in the UFL and say, "Whelp, sorry Josh, but you weren't in the NFL four years ago. Can't sign you."
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    Yes, because Anderson is a good linebacker...because ya know...I tend to think guys who average over 100 tackles in 3 of their last 4 seasons and are on active rosters are good players, unlike guys who have found themselves out of football in 2 of their last 4 seasons, like you seem to think.

You asked "what is McCown doing now"...I answered you. I'm aware of the fact that McCown was signed in Nov of 2012, that doesn't change the fact that he was cut in camp and spent a majority of that season out of football. How many snaps did he take that season? I'll answer...0! So he was out of football for the majority of the season and then a non-factor for the month and change he was on our roster. Whatever team he is interviewing with should take all that into the equation if they are thinking of making him their stater...he's 34 years old! You don't think they are going to wonder to themselves how this guy went from out of football, to back up, to the season he had last year? All it takes is 1 dumb owner in this league, and there are plenty of them.

As for that Minny game... we didn't score a point after the 2nd quarter until a Robbie Gould FG in the 4th. Listen, you don't get paid in this league(by good teams at least for what you did in the past, you get paid for what they think you'll do in the future). At 34, with the history he has I don't see McCown doing what he did this year anywhere else. I don't know if he'll do it in Houston because I don't know what their system is going to be. They have offensive talent for sure, but that o-line is bad. I could be wrong...it's happened before, but I just don't see it, and I don't see the reasoning behind people acting like this guy is Joe Montana Jr. He's a career back up who's been in and out of the league who played out of his mind last year. Thats it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    You said he was cut in training camp and out of football in 2012. That means you did not know he was on the roster in 2012. There's no backtracking there, man.

What NFL teams are going to do is watch his tape, interview him, and ask "Can he play?" "Did he do his job?" "Is he injured?"

Watch as we don't sign Anderson except maybe to a minimum vet deal, and watch as McCown cashes in on this past season.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,063 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,131ß
    Of course the Bears won't sign Anderson, Shea was a fail at DE and now needs to move to OLB and Bostic is looking as a fail as MLB and also competeing for OLB, there is now a glut of OLB along w/Briggs and Greene. That's not to say he won't sign w/another team though.

And of course McCown will cash in, the difference between OLB and QB and the talent available to play both is a vast. It doesn't change the fact that McCown outside of 1 season has made a career of being BAD. And Anderson has made a career of being solid.
  8. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    If only the NFL rewarded or penalized a player for what they have done four years ago in their career, instead of what they are doing right now.

If the Bears based signing Martelius Bennett on his career with the Cowboys, we would not have signed him. But then he produced with the Giants, and now he's a Bear for good money.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    He was basically out of football. If I did as you claim I did...just went to NFL.com and looked up stats, this is what I would see smart guy...

upload_2014-3-10_13-57-58.png

Ohhhh...whats that...would that be 2012 there...with a 0 next to it? So I would know he was on the Bears, but if I knew 2012 I would also know THAT THE DUDE SPENT THE MAJORITY OF THAT SEASON COACHING HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL!!!

As for your BOLD PROCLAMATIONS...considering we moved 2 guys to compete at the SAM spot...way to go out on a limb and say we won't resign Anderson...what astute observing. And yes, McCown will cash in, because as I said...there are lots of dumb owners out there. As an aside...anything north of 2 million is cashing in for him in comparison to what he made last year. Anything else?
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    He also happened to be playing with a future hall of famer in Dallas...I think that plays a role...no? There was never really a question on Bennetts talent, he just didn't have an opportunity with Witten getting most of the targets.
  11. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    So what you are saying is that you didn't look at any stats and just figured he was cut in 2012 and off the team. Okay, I got it now.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    How many times do I need to say out of football for the majority of 2012?
  13. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    That's just an excuse. I'm looking at Bennett's stats when he was with Dallas. He was horrible. That guy is not going to be good anywhere looking at the first four years of his career. I don't care what he has been doing the past two years. Those first four years are a career killer.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    Not what you said. You thought he was out of football in 2012 after he was cut. If you had put "majority" in that statement, then I'd be on your side in this.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    You sure you don't have another alias on this board? As I said, you don't get paid for past performance you get paid for future performance. You think McCown has a bright future ahead of him? I got a bridge to sell you too.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    Fair enough, but the point remains he was out of football for the majority of 2012, so since you can't object to any other point I've brought up you're going to harp on semantics.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    McCown has a bright one to two years. Especially in the pocketbook area.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +598 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    310ß
    If you say so.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,063 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,131ß
    In the pocketbook area, hell ya; in the he won games and looked good area, his future is about as bright as a asphalt.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    No, your point was to harp on his past and not his future, but you misrepresented his past a bit. I corrected that when I said this: