McCown wants to be a starter, so probably won't be re-signing with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 10, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    Whats his future? He's going to sign a better deal than he would have got here because we know what his true value is and another team will over pay him. He's 34 and he'll be out of the league again shortly.

This is from an article on mistakes GM's make on free agents:

Mistake No. 2 – Ignoring what the current team is implicitly telling you

What are we implicitly telling teams?
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +421 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    149ß
    You point was what is he doing now, right? 13 TDs to 1 INT, and a 109 passer rating.
  3. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +421 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    149ß
    The Bears are telling other teams that they can't afford McCown as our #2 QB because they gave all that money to Cutler.
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    :koolaid[1]:
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    They could easily covert money to bonus money if they wanted so badly to keep McCown...so that argument is out.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +421 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    149ß
    Your saying the Bears could sign a backup QB to big money after paying Cutler huge money? Tell me another team with our QB budget that is doing that? That's like saying "Well, if Green Bay wanted to keep Flynn in 2011 they could have just moved some money around". Paying to keep McCown as the backup just would send the message that they are not confident in Cutler. Not the message they want to send.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,084 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    Maybe we're at the point with Trestman as HC, that we're going to be fine if we have to move on from QBs like this. I've been so used to deadbeat coaches on offense, that this is an alien feeling - that we have a coach who can quickly reload another guy at QB and sustain decent play on offense. We lost our #1 last year and we still did well with our #2. I suspect the success wasn't the backup, but rather having a head coach who gets max mileage out of his QBs.

I'm dying to see the guy work with a young draftee now......not for our immediate #2, but a serious project at #3 - who could BE our #2 next year. I think we'll be fine if McCown gets a better deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    LOL...man....you're funny. They just gave Cutler a huge deal...but resigning McCown wouldn't show confidence in Cutler? Are you serious? Did you laugh as you typed that? And thats not like saying if Green Bay wanted to keep Flynn they would have moved money around because they didn't have the ability to do that...so thats a bad analogy. Was Green Bay not showing confidence in Brett Favre when they drafted Rodgers in the first round? These arguments are getting worse and worse.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    Yeah JABF...it feels real weird to say a guy benefited from the offensive scheme and talent in Chicago...just weird. If you look at his history though he's pretty solid with qb's, so I'm with you...let's get a young one in here to develop.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +421 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    149ß
    I don't think we are getting a rookie QB this year. Just my feeling.
    When Green Bay drafted Rodgers in the first round, that is exactly what they were doing. GB was not showing confidence in Farve, and they were drafting his replacement.

If the Bears signed McCown to a deal that is as good as what he gets offered in FA, that is a sure sign that they do not know what they have in Cutler and are hedging their bets. How is that a question? That's a fact. They are not going to do that.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    First off Favre played 3 more years in Green Bay after Rodgers was drafted. They took a value pick on a guy who they didn't think would be there, it's not like they actively sought him out. And no, that would not send that message. It's clear who the number 1 is, and it's clear that this is Cutler's team. How much do you think McCown will get in FA?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +421 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    149ß
    Remember how rocky those three years were with Farve and Rodgers, and how pissed off Farve was? The Bears aren't doing that to Cutler.

Cutler got snippy after getting too many questions about McCown even though the guy was repeatedly telling the media he was the backup. I like Cutler, but his ego needs to be handled and managed by the front office. They are not putting any sense of competition in front of Cutler, especially in the fans' eyes.

McCown? 4 million per year.
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß

Hate to say it but its not if, its when. Yes, if McCown leaves then we are looking at a backup qb as a need. Palmer is fine and all but a guy like that should not be just written in as the backup in March esp seeing that history says the backup will start at least a few games since Cutler can't stay healthy. If McCown leaves, dont be shocked to see a 2nd or 3rd round qb if the value is there.
  14. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    I think that has yet to be proven. We have a sample size of one. I think McCown got a little lucky, had great talent around him and he just hit a groove in terms of balancing protecting the ball vs. taking chances. I'm not sure Trestman deserves all the credit and I'm not sure it could be repeated even with McCown himself as the backup.

The Bears are probably making wise choices by not reaching to bring him back when you know someone else will with so many teams in need of a QB.
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    The same could have been said about McCown before last year. Trestman got a year to work w/Palmer and see him though; while I do agree that a young backup becomes a larger priority, it's still not going to be until 4th.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,084 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    I agree that we still don't know what we have in Trestman (or Emery for that matter) but from his past history prior to coming to the Bears, it looks like he does possess skills in this area. I'm kind of excited about seeing a QB developed in-house here in Chicago. I'm a bit down on the defense situation, but I'm very pumped about the offense. And actually, I'm thinking that Emery and Trestman will improve the defense too, but it may not be turned around in one year. As long as they make a significant step in the right direction this year, then that is fine with me.
  17. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    i understand getting more money, of course, but i have no idea why he wants to be starter now. ok, ambition is great, but this is probably his last or second to last season. he should not be playing too many snaps :) u know, concussion and stuff
  18. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    It's official: McCown signs 2-year deal in Tampa Bay.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    Good ol' Lovie. lol wouldn't know a good qb if it slapped him upside the head.
  20. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    Good for Josh, but I hope the Bears beat the snot out of Lovie & the Bucs when they come to town this year.