McCown wants to be a starter, so probably won't be re-signing with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 10, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,758ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Whats his future? He's going to sign a better deal than he would have got here because we know what his true value is and another team will over pay him. He's 34 and he'll be out of the league again shortly.

This is from an article on mistakes GM's make on free agents:

Mistake No. 2 – Ignoring what the current team is implicitly telling you

What are we implicitly telling teams?

2. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +506 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    You point was what is he doing now, right? 13 TDs to 1 INT, and a 109 passer rating.

3. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +506 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    The Bears are telling other teams that they can't afford McCown as our #2 QB because they gave all that money to Cutler.

4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,758ß
    :koolaid[1]:

5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,758ß
    They could easily covert money to bonus money if they wanted so badly to keep McCown...so that argument is out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +506 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Your saying the Bears could sign a backup QB to big money after paying Cutler huge money? Tell me another team with our QB budget that is doing that? That's like saying "Well, if Green Bay wanted to keep Flynn in 2011 they could have just moved some money around". Paying to keep McCown as the backup just would send the message that they are not confident in Cutler. Not the message they want to send.

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,027 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,403ß
    Maybe we're at the point with Trestman as HC, that we're going to be fine if we have to move on from QBs like this. I've been so used to deadbeat coaches on offense, that this is an alien feeling - that we have a coach who can quickly reload another guy at QB and sustain decent play on offense. We lost our #1 last year and we still did well with our #2. I suspect the success wasn't the backup, but rather having a head coach who gets max mileage out of his QBs.

I'm dying to see the guy work with a young draftee now......not for our immediate #2, but a serious project at #3 - who could BE our #2 next year. I think we'll be fine if McCown gets a better deal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,758ß
    LOL...man....you're funny. They just gave Cutler a huge deal...but resigning McCown wouldn't show confidence in Cutler? Are you serious? Did you laugh as you typed that? And thats not like saying if Green Bay wanted to keep Flynn they would have moved money around because they didn't have the ability to do that...so thats a bad analogy. Was Green Bay not showing confidence in Brett Favre when they drafted Rodgers in the first round? These arguments are getting worse and worse.

9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,758ß
    Yeah JABF...it feels real weird to say a guy benefited from the offensive scheme and talent in Chicago...just weird. If you look at his history though he's pretty solid with qb's, so I'm with you...let's get a young one in here to develop.

• Like Like x 1
  10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +506 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    I don't think we are getting a rookie QB this year. Just my feeling.
    When Green Bay drafted Rodgers in the first round, that is exactly what they were doing. GB was not showing confidence in Farve, and they were drafting his replacement.

If the Bears signed McCown to a deal that is as good as what he gets offered in FA, that is a sure sign that they do not know what they have in Cutler and are hedging their bets. How is that a question? That's a fact. They are not going to do that.