McCown wants to be a starter, so probably won't be re-signing with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Mar 10, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,826ß
    Ratings:
    +2,226 / 1 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    First off Favre played 3 more years in Green Bay after Rodgers was drafted. They took a value pick on a guy who they didn't think would be there, it's not like they actively sought him out. And no, that would not send that message. It's clear who the number 1 is, and it's clear that this is Cutler's team. How much do you think McCown will get in FA?

• Like Like x 1
  2. weneedmorelinemen

ßearz ßuckz:
    449ß
    Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -1
    Remember how rocky those three years were with Farve and Rodgers, and how pissed off Farve was? The Bears aren't doing that to Cutler.

Cutler got snippy after getting too many questions about McCown even though the guy was repeatedly telling the media he was the backup. I like Cutler, but his ego needs to be handled and managed by the front office. They are not putting any sense of competition in front of Cutler, especially in the fans' eyes.

McCown? 4 million per year.

3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    482ß
    Ratings:
    +682 / 3 / -0

Hate to say it but its not if, its when. Yes, if McCown leaves then we are looking at a backup qb as a need. Palmer is fine and all but a guy like that should not be just written in as the backup in March esp seeing that history says the backup will start at least a few games since Cutler can't stay healthy. If McCown leaves, dont be shocked to see a 2nd or 3rd round qb if the value is there.

4. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    410ß
    Ratings:
    +294 / 0 / -0
    I think that has yet to be proven. We have a sample size of one. I think McCown got a little lucky, had great talent around him and he just hit a groove in terms of balancing protecting the ball vs. taking chances. I'm not sure Trestman deserves all the credit and I'm not sure it could be repeated even with McCown himself as the backup.

The Bears are probably making wise choices by not reaching to bring him back when you know someone else will with so many teams in need of a QB.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,140ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    The same could have been said about McCown before last year. Trestman got a year to work w/Palmer and see him though; while I do agree that a young backup becomes a larger priority, it's still not going to be until 4th.

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,318ß
    Ratings:
    +4,619 / 4 / -1
    I agree that we still don't know what we have in Trestman (or Emery for that matter) but from his past history prior to coming to the Bears, it looks like he does possess skills in this area. I'm kind of excited about seeing a QB developed in-house here in Chicago. I'm a bit down on the defense situation, but I'm very pumped about the offense. And actually, I'm thinking that Emery and Trestman will improve the defense too, but it may not be turned around in one year. As long as they make a significant step in the right direction this year, then that is fine with me.

7. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Ratings:
    +547 / 0 / -0
    i understand getting more money, of course, but i have no idea why he wants to be starter now. ok, ambition is great, but this is probably his last or second to last season. he should not be playing too many snaps :) u know, concussion and stuff

8. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    346ß
    Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    It's official: McCown signs 2-year deal in Tampa Bay.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,140ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    Good ol' Lovie. lol wouldn't know a good qb if it slapped him upside the head.

10. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    346ß
    Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Good for Josh, but I hope the Bears beat the snot out of Lovie & the Bucs when they come to town this year.