McCray lines up with No. 1 defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Jul 30, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    980ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

Free safety Danny McCray’s impressive work with the Bears’ second-team defense early in training camp earned him a chance to line up with the starting unit Wednesday.

Continue reading...
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    McCray lines up with No. 1 defense

Posted 45 minutes ago
    By Larry Mayer
    Free safety Danny McCray’s impressive work with the Bears’ second-team defense early in training camp earned him a chance to line up with the starting unit Wednesday.

Link to video interview; http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/McCray-lines-up-with-No-1-defense/bda17d4b-059f-440e-ad20-01158695228a

(man talk about hair this guy is wall to wall hair)

Free safety Danny McCray[​IMG]’s impressive work with the Bears’ second-team defense early in training camp earned him a chance to line up with the starting unit in Wednesday’s practice.

“We wanted to take a look at him,” said coach Marc Trestman. “He’s been practicing well. We’ve said all along the safety position is wide open and we wanted to take a look at him with the first group today. We talked a lot about it yesterday.”
    [​IMG]
    Danny McCray
    McCray was excited about getting a chance to work with the No. 1 defense Wednesday.

“It’s a big opportunity,” he said. “I think that’s what we’re all here for, open competition, and they’re just rolling people around to see what fits and see who can make plays.”

McCray signed a one-year contract with the Bears in March. He spent his first four NFL seasons with the Cowboys after signing with Dallas in 2010 as an undrafted free agent out of LSU.

McCray appeared in 60 games with 10 starts for the Cowboys, recording 104 tackles, two interceptions, one sack, two tackles-for-loss, seven pass breakups and one forced fumble. The 6-1, 221-pounder also compiled 73 special-teams tackles, including 28 as a rookie.

All 10 of McCray’s career starts came in 2012 when he ranked second on the Dallas defense with a career-high 87 tackles, five pass breakups and one interception.

Asked after Wednesday’s practice about wanting to contribute on defense with the Bears, McCray said: “Anything I can do to help the team here. I’m really just coming out here to practice to be the best I can be at every position that I’m put at.”

McCray earned his opportunity with the No. 1 defense by excelling in the first four practices.

“He’s been in the right place in terms of covering and in terms of the run game,” Trestman said. “His effort level has been very high. He’s a highly intelligent football player. He’s played consistently and continued to ascend over the last few days and we wanted to get a look at him with the ones. That’s what we did today and we’ll see what the tape shows.”

Trestman cautioned against making any assumptions about McCray replacing rookie Brock Vereen[​IMG], who had worked as the started free safety since OTA workouts in June.

“Brock has really been sharp with his assignments,” Trestman said. “I don’t think you can read into moving Brock down and Danny up today. We just wanted to see how Brock handles the situation. How does he handle it, moving him around? And how does Danny handle moving up? It all goes into the gathering of information to make decisions at the end.

“Brock is a very mature guy. He’s a very bright guy. He’s done very well at that position. He’s been there a long time. It says something about our feelings toward him. I don’t think you can look too far into why we made the change today. We just want to continue to make the competition a competition at the safety position, and that’s why we went the way we did.”

The battle at safety remains wide open and includes four players the Bears signed from other teams in free agency. In addition to McCray, Ryan Mundy[​IMG] has been working as the starter at strong safety ahead of Adrian Wilson[​IMG], while M.D. Jennings[​IMG] has been lining up with as a reserve free safety.

Holdovers Chris Conte[​IMG] (shoulder) and Craig Steltz[​IMG] (groin) remain on the physically-unable-to-perform list, but both are eligible to begin practicing at any time. The Bears have said that the two safety positions are interchangeable and the two best players will earn starting jobs.

“It’s very competitive, but it’s really cool because you get to listen to the experiences from the other guys,” McCray said. “We’ve got a lot of guys with a lot of years. They bring in a lot of stories, some dudes that you played against over the years, so it’s pretty cool.”​
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Geez Newsman I already posted this in the Big Safety Thread so what's wrong with you? Don't you ever read instead of just posting stuff like a robot? :36 28 1[1]::bah:
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,549 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I find it interesting that Wilson did not merit practicing with the ones, but McCray did.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Meh. McCray got here first so he gets rotated in first just as Palmer gets first crack at the backup QB spot. Don't mean a whole lot yet. I actually hope we can find a way to keep both because McCray is a good STeams guy and Joe D needs players too.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I am guessing he still may be learning some of the Calls. Article said McCray been doing well and deserved a shot, but in no way was a knock on Vereen. I suspect Wilson will get his shot later in camp and probably closer to the Pre-season games to see if he can hold it down or not.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,549 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Probably so. My point with Wilson was that I had hoped that he still had some of that pro-bowler in him since he has not ruptured his achilles. And with the competition we have at safety with the ones, (much less the twos), he should have stood out by now IMO enough to have practiced with the ones. I was expecting more of a gap between our twos and what I was hoping we had in him. It should not take very long with pads on if he still had it. Our ones are not anyone that other teams are chasing. Fogettaboutit with our twos. Compared with our twos, a starting safety should stand out. But maybe I'm wrong. It's happened before :-)
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Don't forget that what stands out most about Wilson is the way he hits and he can't do that in camp. I think it's mostly coverage schemes they're working on now. It could also be that they lean towards keeping Wilson anyway and want to see if McCray can play well enough as a position player to justify keeping him around mostly for STeams. I don't read a whole lot into the rotations yet because Trestman does it differently.
  9. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    I don't see this as good news. Mccray has 4-5 seasons in the NFL so he is a known commodity, this is either 1. piss others off and light a fire under them or 2. just give the guy a chance. I guess there is also a slight possibility he is picking it up late in his career, but i would put my money one #1. I figure there is not much of a point getting excited here till preseason games start for the reasons soulman said. Either way i see a 4 man race Wilson/Mundy/Vereen/Conte.
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    This is good news for McCray. The thing to watch now is whether this is a short experiment or does he perform well enough in coming days to stick with the first unit.
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +652 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    338ß
    What is good about this method everyone knows there's problem at S so lets give everyone that shows a hint of a chance a try. You never know what you have until you try something. TC is the time to pull out all the stops like this because we don't want to see this occur after week 1 game. They will know exactly how ever player fits and what they need to do there will be options after cut downs. Again IF we have a problem on D I hope it's at S and not the line or LB because those positions can cover a lot of crap in the S spot.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    I would imagine it's about perspective and comparison at this point. If McCray is playing with the 2s and is looking good and Vereen is playing with the 1s and is looking average, it's necessary to flip those roles to get an accurate comparison of the two.

Another possibility is the coaches want to put their #2 receiving corp / running corp up against a higher quality of secondary to see how they stack up.

Finally, I imagine in both the case of Vereen and Wilson the 2nd team players have a pared back playbook they are running which provides them an opportunity to get tape on a different style of play calling and possibly to run a more simplistic version of the defense to help them integrate more gradually.

Truthfully, it's probably a combination of all of these factors plus 5 or 6 more than the coaching staff is juggling around. I doubt seriously that any decisions are being made in terms of personnel at this point in TC.

Overall, I think it's awesome that they are able to move Vereen back to the 2s with Wilson and McCray to the 1s. That means a lot for our depth in the secondary. This is really good news all around.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    It's just training camp. This where they do shit like this in order to set depth charts for the preseason so guys know where they stand. I'll say it again guys don't read too much into it.

It's a numbers game and McCray is a guy they have to evaluate as a potential position player beyond his obvious strengths as a STeams guy. Let's just be happy it was him and not Melvin Jenkins who got a shot with the ones.

Conte is out and that was our #1 FS and Steltz is still out and he's a high ranking STeams guy and a backup FS. This was an audition to see if McCray is a better option to keep than Steltz.
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    All I know is that it's very quiet in Mundyville.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß

Not a word since Mundy...........er Monday. :lol 027:
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Here, straight from the horses mouth. It's open competition and everyone gets his shot.

For the second straight practice, McCray joined Mundy with the No. 1 defense in place of rookie fourth-round pick Brock Vereen[​IMG]. On Wednesday, coach Marc Trestman cautioned against reading too much into the move given the open competition and ongoing evaluation at safety.