Meet our new LB, SheaMac

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by strockrocks, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +65 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    In all seriousness, I wish Shea the best. He's displaying what dedication is all about. If it works, great, but if not, then you can't knock the kid for not trying...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,252 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    298ß
    And the overall point for this season, David, is that Shea will be playing generally off the line and protected by a very good run-stuffing DE in Houston. The whole idea is to give him space where his speed matters again rather than being instantly locked up man-to-man with an OT who had a 70 LB weight advantage on him. Gee, I wonder why that failed previously?

It's Shea's best chance for his athletic abilities to shine. Which we all talked about most of the last two years. And for the 67th time, Houston is NOT our full-time 3tech DT. He's a DE primarily who can flex inside when needed.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +695 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    He doesn't have the strength to get off blocks. Losing weight just makes it easier for them to run over him. I just hope they don't spend the whole season to learn that he can't stop the run at LB any better than he did at DE.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,144 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    For everyone who begrudges his time at DE, remember who his first pro coach was and also remember how many players that coach moved from position to position, ruining their few years as a pro, only to never really develop them into the player they had all the potential to be.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    something to remember, just b/c he's not on the line doesn't mean he won't have to shed blocks from MUCH bigger stronger players, TE's and OL'men, he'll get a shot to use his speed better, but taking those guys on occasionally will still be part of his job.
  6. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +171 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß

Yeah, I don't see it working out. I hope I'm wrong. But I suspect this guy is white John Thierry.

BTW, those pictures...man, he looks like a dude you'd see at the gym. Not an NFL first round draft pick. I realize impressive physiques don't make great football players (EG Alonzo Spellman), but I never would have guessed THAT'S what Shea looks like without a shirt on.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    He is putting the work in. I think he will bulk up some. He's got some room to do that. You can fix not enough muscle. And the dud does have both a motor and football smarts. I'm thinking that we could still be in trouble here but he seems to be looking at the position change with renewed motivation. He is a Bear and I'm going to be behind him. Let's give the guy an open mind.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +602 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    I'd have been more impressed if he stayed the same weight and got below 14% body fat. I'm glad for Shea...but this guy Scot shouldn't be flaunting this...the guy lost weight...so if your a performance coach HE SHOULD HAVE LOST BODY FAT!!!
  9. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    So I'm more than aware that muscles mass isn't directly proportional to strength. I could go on for days about it. There's a difference in training towards muscle hypertrophy and training for strength and explosiveness. A lot of unititated can't recognize the difference. I've gotta say though, to a point, if you're really strong, you'll have a certain amount of muscles mass and I don't see it on Shea. Maybe it's a slimming angle, I don't know. I'll wait until I see him on the field. I've always seen reason to think he has potential standing up. But at 6'3 and only 243, that's not really encouraging if they're looking to use him as that OLB/DE spinner type. I think he needs more mass for that. There's still time before camp. I'll hold my judgment.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    So I showed the pic to a guy that plays soccor didn't tell him who he was or what he did. His first impresson was a before/after pick of someone doing their first 90 days of P90X. I told him he was in his 3rd year in the NFL, he asked if he was a Punter or Kicker; just sayin'.

It's not a good pic of him as there is no referrence point to judge his size and I get what Butka is saying, but he does look more like a S or WR then he looks LB, let alone DE.

I'm hoping he adds some muscle and some bulk to hope he explodes as a OLB.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +602 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    You can play linebacker at 245. I've worked with guys who are pro-bowlers and defensive players of the year in the NFL who played linebacker at 245. The difference is they look a lot different at 245 than he does. Shea weighed in at the combine at 260. Granted he probably didn't play at that, so I would have been impressed if he weighed in at 250-255 while being below 14% body fat.
  12. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +65 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I agree completely...but in my mind his success, if it happens, won't come overnight. Being small and getting stuck on blocks reminds me of Urlacher when he first came here.
    I hope his technique(s) help compensate while he tries to add more muscle mass to suit him better at the LB position.

And to bleed this response onto other replies..6-3 245 is what Clay Matthews plays around...Shea just needs the time to add the weight..
    Honestly they aren't far of if you're looking at visuals...
    compare.jpg
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    IDK... Shoulders, arms and legs look to be more heavily muscled on Matthews. I look at McClellins wrists and he seems to have a small frame. Not sure he can pack that much muscle mass on those arms, but I know he can definitely pack more. Looking forward to his season.
  14. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    I dunno man. They look legit, but if that's a before and after pic from this off season, then that means the "before" is after 2 years in an NFL weight room with NFL trainers looking after him. I have a hard time buying this. I went to TC in his Rookie year and I was 30' away from him at one point. I know he had pads on and all, but those arms (and the rest of him) looked bigger than what I'm seeing here.

Also, I'm the same height as Shea (6'-3"), and I can tell ya, my body never looked as slim as the pic on the right, even when I was bench pressing over 300 Lbs and working out every day, and I only weighed about 220 LBS. I find it hard to believe the guy on the right is 240+. That physique at 6'-3" doesn't look much over 200 Lbs to me.

I think I may have to call BS on these photos.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'd say the same. Looking at his before pic and not knowing exactly what he weighed in that photo what I see is what I said before. A kid with the body of a HS player with lots of baby fat and very little muscle definition. Tough figure out how he was as fast he is hauling that around. No wonder he got pushed around and couldn't anchor.

They want him to play around 250lbs. This could be nothing more than slimming him down to get his body fat lower and then build more muscle bulk from there. I can see why there was zero chance of getting him up to 256-270lbs with the frame. It's just not there. He was playing at 248lbs give or take a chicken breast or two with that old body. If they can put another 8-10lbs of muscle on him now his functional strength should be much better.

And like I said you want him to be like a cobra. A quick strike kid or guy who can rush and wrap up and tackle. He can avoid blockers in space but he no chance of that playing DE from a 3 pt. stance. Now he looks like a LB albeit a little slighter in build than any of us ever thought. This is a kid you can use to chase and pressure QBs like Rodgers, Wilson, and Kaepernick and those are the guys we're gonna have to beat.
  16. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    Here is a new pic from the back. If it's legit, that looks more like it. I don't know, but the back doesn't seem to fit with the front. Ah, who the hell knows. Bottom line, if he's working out like that, then it will be good for us and I guess that's really all we need to worry about.

https://twitter.com/ScotProhaska/status/458354285533614080/photo/1/large
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    That's exactly what I was thinking (so the right answer must lie elsewhere)
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    I agree. That is better. another 10 lbs of muscle (no reason he can't do that) and he should be good to go.
  19. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    I don't care what he looks like. He has to cover and make tackles. If he can do that, great. I personally think that OLB will be his niche.

He has a pass for nearly killing Rogers.
  20. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Well this thing is saying he's 252 and running a 4.5 - 40.

Shea Mcclellin b4 training was 263lb,18%BF,4.74 40 & 320lb bench. NOW 252lb,10%BF, 4.5 40, 365lbs. Perfect for a LB

A 4.5 forty makes me think he could cover most TEs if called upon, and assuming they get his technique down of course. Then again, maybe he won't be asked to do anything like that, the way SAMs often do in the tampa-2. The kid has always worked hard. His athleticism flashed out to me, even at the NFL level.

One thing's for sure.... it's taking too long for the god damn draft to arrive, when we're having an in depth discussion surrounding a photo of Shea McClellin with his shirt off.