Meet the new social chair for the Bears' offensive line: Kyle Long

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jun 15, 2016.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan Member of the Month DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    8,332ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I really liked this article on the OL. LOL at Kyle saying Cody W. helps do the dishes after the guys are at Kyle's house. It sounds like a tight group, led by a good OL coach. This OL is going to be better than a lot of folks give them credit for.

• Like Like x 2
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    370ß
    Is that Grasu in the middle in the black shirt? Doesn't look like he put on much weight to me...

Edit: I'm JOKING. Nothing serious in this post...

#2 shark86x, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Monster of the Midway

ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    I like how others say chemistry isn't important at all. Stuff like this shows other wise.

I don't know how many know this but Tom Brady before every game treats out his O line to a meal. The small stuff like that brings the players closer than dollars ever will.

4. gpphat

gpphat Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    353ß
    How many of them are playing on a franchise tag and are in contract negotiations with the Bears FO?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Monster of the Midway

ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    Let's see we have a 3 time pro bowler who has his 5th year option marked yet isn't crying...

I bet you're the same person who believed Bennett shouldn't of got traded or Marshall. Sorry but this isn't the trestman era or even the Lovie era. You either show commitment or you go packing.

We got real coaches and FO this time around. Bringing us old school football.

6. gpphat

gpphat Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    353ß
    meatball-sub-sandwich.jpg
    you may want to snack on this while you cry about AJ missing VOLUNTARY workouts.

Why would Long be worried about his contract when he is in his 4th year of his contract and the Bears exercised his 5th year, which pays him $8M. giving the Bears not only this year but next year to workout the details of an extension.

AJ hasn't caused any trouble in the lockerroom, hasn't missed any mandatory practices/meetings...missing voluntary workouts doesn't mean jack shit. Giving White a spot while he benches doesn't make them a better unit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Monster of the Midway

ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    Why would Long cry? Because it isn't a long term deal in place. Instead they force him down this route in which he doesn't get paid to his ability. Yet Long isn't crying. He's there and creating a bond with the O-line. You know full of rookies and players new to scheme. That goes a long way.

AJ has said F the team and the development of white. AJ is getting paid 2nd among WRs this year. They overpaid him. Missing voluntary workout shows he doesn't care about the development of this team. We had players like that already. They got let go packing...

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan Member of the Month DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    8,332ß
    Grasu is the guy with the beard behind Kyle Long (he's in a blue striped shirt). When you compare him with Long in the picture, he looks pretty solid. The Bears are reporting that he did add some bulk in the off-season (one writer said he was around 310 now).

Garza played at 310 also. Olin Kreutz playing weight was 292. Matt Slauson played at 315. Last year Grasu was in the 290's.

#8 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  9. Hawkeye21

Hawkeye21 Pro-Bowler
    Member of the Month

ßearz ßuckz:
    741ß
    They are not overpaying him. Jeffery never said "F" the team either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Monster of the Midway

ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    So Jeffery is Dez good? AJ Green good? OBJ good? Larry Fitz good?

Jeffery is paid the second highest in WR money this year...

#10 Monster of the Midway, Jun 15, 2016
  11. Hawkeye21

Hawkeye21 Pro-Bowler
    Member of the Month

ßearz ßuckz:
    741ß
    He may be getting paid the 2nd most but it's only for one year which actually means something. Spiegel and Goff were talking about Jeffery this morning and how elite of a WR he actually is when healthy. It may have been PFF that they used but Jeffery graded out as the number 2 WR based on what he did last year. Seems to have gotten paid exactly what he deserved based on that. I don't know if he's as good as OBJ but he is just as good as Dez, AJ and Fitz. I'm not sure how you can consider Dez so great since he must be made of glass too after last year.

12. gpphat

gpphat Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    353ß
    Longer than AJ's deal, more security for Long once the season ends than for AJ...and this is how a rookie contract is setup, the CBA made it that way where when a rookie outperforms his contract they will be underpaid later in the contract...nature of the beast. But no matter how you cut it, Bears FO have shown some commitment to Long by exercising the 5th year option.

When did AJ say F the team...when he showed up to mandatory OTA's...maybe I missed it but is he holding out? How many players have come out and said that they are happy with a franchise tag vs a long term contract. I have heard many players view that as a slap in the face. "Hey Jeffery, come out to voluntary OTA's and be a 'good' teammate...don't worry about the injury risk or the fact we have yet to commit long term to you...all that will work itself out"

• Like Like x 1
  13. Monster of the Midway

ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    Fitz no way he's better than. Dez was terrible with injury last year I agree but he has better Stats compared to Jeffery.

When you have Jones, Brown, OBJ ( I know rookie contract ) making less money than him there is a huge problem.

I have never seen Jeffery marked as 2nd best WR in any year. To be honest I never seen the dude in any top 10 list either. His inconsistency is what's probably causing that though.

14. Monster of the Midway

ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    The 5th year option is basically a Franchise Tag. There is 0 security with that as well. Bears shown commitment in Long because Long shown it in the Bears. He did everything they asked of him last year. Played in all games as well. Never question as a result. Its a two way street. It starts with the players as a result.

Usually players who play in Franchise Tag are demanding more money than what the team is willing to pay. You realize he was forced to go to mandatory minicamp because he'd get fine as well. When Jeffery was apsent when the team first started and decide to train with Marshall instead last year isn't a commitment for the new team and scheme. Then he does it again?

Or may the Franchise Tag is to know how committed the player is to the team. "Oh Jeffery you want big money? Show us why by your actions on and off the field. We reward commitment and team first players. Can you follow suite?"

#14 Monster of the Midway, Jun 15, 2016
  15. Hawkeye21

Hawkeye21 Pro-Bowler
    Member of the Month

ßearz ßuckz:
    741ß
    Here are their stats in the last 4 years, which is how long Jeffery has been in the league.

Rec Yards TDs Average per rec
    Jeffery 252 3728 24 14.79 Missed 15 games
    Julio 360 5242 26 14.56 Missed 12 games
    Dez 304 4336 44 14.26 Missed 7 games
    Fitz 325 3751 25 11.54 Missed 2 games

For the amount of games Jeffery missed he did pretty damn good especially if you consider the fact that he was consider the WR2 on the team for 3 of those 4 years. With 70 fewer receptions he managed to have just as many yards and TDs as Fitz. Fitz even played in 13 more games. He also has averaged more yards per reception than all of them.

I'll throw in Antonio Brown because I'm curious also.
    441 receptions for 5818 yards and 36 TDs. He only missed 3 games in 4 years. Pretty impressive stats but he only averages 13.19 yards per catch.

Don't forget that Julio, Dez and Brown are on teams that throw more than the Bears do.

#15 Hawkeye21, Jun 15, 2016
  16. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    139ß
    Using the players you mentioned...

[​IMG]

Because his season was shortened by injury his totals aren't as good as the others (besides Dez who also had injury issues), but if you look at his averages he absolutely belongs among the players you mentioned. I would have extrapolated out his stats to a 16 game season but I don't think you liked when someone did that in another thread so I didn't bother. I'm guessing his extrapolated totals would be very comparable to the others, though.

17. gpphat

gpphat Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    353ß
    Big difference is when the season ends Long is still under contract with guaranteed money, and more time to negotiate a long term contract. End of the season for AJ is up in the air if they don't get a long term deal in place by the deadline. AJ didn't sit out games because he didn't want to play or was sticking it to the FO...he got injured and wasn't able to play, he even played injured when he could.

Yes he went to mandatory mini-camps because they are mandatory and he is a part of the team...if he was skipping mandatory OTA's then you may actually have a leg to stand on with your narrative of AJ being a bad teammate. unfortunately the basis of your whole argument is some m eatball bs that he is a disgruntled player because he missed voluntary workouts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Monster of the Midway

ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    Fitz is also older than all of them as well. Being a bit past his prime will cause a bit of a sharp decline. Jeffery on the other hand is in his prime. Fitz a freak of nature. Still being able to play at a high consistent level and will be 33 this year. Yea a higher yards per reception do to facing the weaker side of the defense while Marshall took off most the heat. Have you not seen what Marshall was able to do in New York this past year? Don't try to say defenses were not game planning on him for most of the time.

19. Monster of the Midway

ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    Big difference is AJ goes to FA and makes a huge contract from some desperate team. Its not like the old days in which players hate going there. Many look forward to it. Teams overpay in this day and age.

If Voluntary workout was just that why does everyone show up? Why is it that Long, Cutler, and etc... show up? Maybe its to you know practice? Voluntary to a old school coach and fans isn't Voluntary. Its dedication to the team. That's what you seem to not understand.

20. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,025ß
    Bloody Mary
    Ahem. Offensive line thread here, not another piss ing match between MoM and anyone who dare participate in a thread.

Glad to see the OL bonding. Can't be a bad thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1