Mel Kiper Mock Draft 1.0: Bears Select FSU DT Timmy Jernigan

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 15, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,159 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    Mock Draft 1.0
    ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. revealed his first mock draft on Wednesday, with Chicago using its first-round pick to select Florida State’s Timmy Jernigan at No. 14.

The move would certainly make sense if Jernigan, widely regarded as the draft’s best defensive tackle, is still available because he fits Chicago’s scheme. But the question for Bears general manager Phil Emery might be whether Jernigan “transcends scheme” as he so often likes to say.

A junior, Jernigan led Florida State with 11 tackles for lost yardage last season and is considered one of the draft’s premier run stuffers. Kiper ranks Jernigan at No. 10 on his Big Board, while Todd McShay of Scouts Inc. lists him as No. 7 in his top 32.

McShay wrote this about Jernigan:
    Jernigan performed well in the Seminoles' BCS title game victory over Auburn, recording nine tackles, although he appeared gassed at times in the fourth quarter and had to come out of the game for a stretch. He is a classic 3-technique with good first-step quickness and good range versus the run, and is a very disruptive player.
    Kiper, meanwhile, is enamored with “his great sense for how to disrupt the run game in particular. He could be quicker off the snap -- maybe it's just anticipation -- but he makes up for it and can both drive blocks and split doubles. Once he's in motion, he has good burst, power and improved hand use to free himself. He's a former defensive end who brings a lot of quickness to the inside. He moves easily and can occasionally shoot gaps or move laterally and scrape with pace to get down the line.”

If the Bears selected Jernigan at No. 14, they certainly wouldn’t be disappointed.

Coming off a season in which the Bears allowed the most points (478) and total yards (6,313) in franchise history while consistently allowing opposing running backs to run roughshod, Emery has said he wants to infuse youth on defense. So Jernigan would be an ideal starting point.

Chicago lost defensive tackles Henry Melton and Nate Collins to season-ending injuries in 2013, and both are set to be free agents along with defensive tackle Jay Ratliff and defensive end Corey Wootton, who is coming off hip surgery.

If the Bears did draft Jernigan and found a way to bring back Melton, Ratliff, Collins and Wootton, who is capable of playing inside and on the edge, they’d have a pretty strong rotation along the defensive line -- especially if they could add another pass-rusher capable of contributing as a rookie in the later rounds.

"I feel I am the most versatile defensive lineman in the draft," Jernigan told ESPN's Joe Schad. "Some team will get an athletic, hard-working lineman who attacks, plays smart and doesn't come off the field."

His Draft Card
    Scouts Inc. Position RK:1
    Scouts Inc. Overall RK:7
    Scouts Inc. Grade:93
    School:Florida State
  2. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +413 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    551ß
    In the Fl St games I watched this year , the guy stood out . He's real ornery and plays with true passion ie .. a guy who HATES losing . If we get him I'll be real happy .
  3. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I hope not
    Many other DT that could be had later in the draft and this guy seemed tired during the National Championship game when the team really need it him.
    I would love for them to get Aaron Donald in the 2nd round
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    I wouldn't be bothered by this to much; ya he was gassed in that game,but that is a team that plays way up tempo, so the fat guys are going to get gassed playing against them. I would hope they didn't put him over a guy like Hageman or Nix though.
  5. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    +1. I think Hageman might be the first DT to go, with Nix shortly after and Jernigan as 3th, unless we trade down I can't see us taking him
  6. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I would like us to take Nix in the first round. But then again I don't get to pick thats Emerys job so we'll just have to wait and see.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,159 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    I just hope for the best defensive player available each time we pick
    • Like Like x 3
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    so what are u saying, that all of those 3 will go in first 13? i dont think there is much chance of that, one of those 3 is ours, if we want it
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I actually agree with latorreedger above. I like Aaron Donald in the second, and grab one of the top DE's in the first. You know we're not going to keep pep, and if that's the reality, then we are hurting on the edge even more. I would RRRREEEAAALLLYYY like Clinton-Dix, but as sad as our Safety situation is, the line HAS to be addressed first. Of course, it all comes down to how Free Agency works out first, but as of now, I think DE in the first and DT in the 2nd. If that doesn't pan out, my 1st choice at DT is Hageman.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ed Reynolds in the second maybe.
  11. gammabears

gammabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Was thinking DE Kony Ealy from Missouri if the Bears keep a traditional 4-3. DE/OLB Trent Murphy from Stanford if the Bears change their scheme to a 3-4/4-3 hybrid or if they change it completely to 3-4.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    It has to be DT in the first ... N.E. has shown the running game is back.

uhhh ...... Eddie Lacy & Adrian Peterson ... someone named Reggie Bush comes to mind.

In a perfect world we would hire Vince Wilfork & Raji ... not gonna happen.

So who do we find to be like them?

Big wide fatbodys with a certain sense of movement ?
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    I'd be pretty curious as to what Emery's "PFF metric team" grades some of these guys metrics to. Using Long as a control what guys on the defensive line stand out the most in this way.
  14. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This draft is deep and I'm sure it's going to be easy to fill the DT and DE spots later in the draft.
    Honestly I hope the Bears can trade back and add an extra 2nd round pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Still like the idea of trading down and taking Trent Murphy
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Can we afford to take the risk of trading back and ending up with another Corn Wash, and missing out on a top tier DT or DE?
    We need quality, because we need to hit on the first three rounds to fill the massive holes we have in the defense.
  17. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    well it depends i guess, luck is important too, its hard to say who will pan out a better player: jern, nix, rashede or kony, and at least one of them will be available 10 spots behind us, so...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Honestly, I want whoever is the best NT (saying we stay 4-3) over the best 3-technique. When was the last REALLY GOOD NT we've even had? Paea is okay, Toenia was okay, but we need a real difference maker.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    I just want 2 fatties in the middle if we stay 4-3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Can we just go to Japan and pick up two sumo's on the cheap, they know the art of pushing haha
    • Like Like x 2