Mel Kiper Mock Draft 1.0: Bears Select FSU DT Timmy Jernigan

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    That got me thinking that having a Dick Jauron type interior line would be the best thing for us, especially with our linebacker personnel
  2. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I rather take the chance to move back.
    Moving back can get the Bears
    Stephon Tuitt and Aaron Donald
    That's two very good guys in the middle. Then the Bears can sign a solid DE
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    MD, right now I have heard a guy that is scoring the middle to back of this draft higher then any in decades, he said that last year he could barely find guys to even give a draftable grade to in the 7th, and right now, b/c of all the underclassmen declaring, he's got far more then 7 rounds of draftable players. Teams are going to be able to find really good UDFA in this draft, let alone guys in the 3rd/4th.

I don't know if they'll trade out of 14, depending on who's there, but I do see them trying to trade back at somepoint.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    trading down would give us additional pick later for depth of the roster and still staying in the 1st to get a good DL player or Saftey.
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,293 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    It all starts in the trenches, so DT or DE would be a smart move in the first.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    291ß
    Henry that would be BIG TED WASHINGTON and KEITH TRAYLOR ... weve never had better then that since.

Washington got a S.B. ring after we let him go to N.E.

Thats if they are there.

When do we decide that in order to win we must take B.P.A. for our needs when our draft pick comes up ?

Without trading down ? Theres two sides to trading down ...
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    206ß
    This D rebuild is gonna take 'at least' 2 yrs . So save ur playoff tickets money for 2016 . And that's ONLY IF the O maintains status-quo if not getting better . And that's also IF injuries stay at a minimum .:4_8_4v[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I respect your opinion Blue, but I disagree, at least from the perspective that it's a certainty. It COULD take longer (two years), in fact, it could be bad for a number of years if we do not draft the right people and Tucker is as bad as many on here believe he is. However, a sound FA plan and a well executed draft combined with a DC that is better than most believe he is, being able to run his own Defense could easily turn this Defense around much quicker. Yes, I said "easily"

It is my opinion that a REALLY good D-Line that is able to put consistent pressure on the QB and is able to stop the run will make average DB's and LB's look MUCH better. Focus on the D-Line and in my opinion our Defense could at least become respectable again, then subsequent years could be used to improve the back half of the Defense to make them dominant.

It is not my intent to read all this (off season tea leaves) though rose colored glasses or stick my head in the sand, but I'm not going to ignore the realistic potential either. I'm trying to be pragmatic, and I think the potential for a quick turn around is there, it just has to be executed.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    449ß
    I agree, and would add that if we hope to unseat Aaron Rodgers' Green Bay Packers dominance in the NFC-N, then a solid DL is critically important. Without a decent DL he can take us apart with surgical precision any time he wants. With all of the solid QB's and offenses in the league, you really have to have a solid DL to compete with "The Big Boys" and win.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +628 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    Sucks... We need starting caliber DE and DT. Anybody think Ealey DE from Missouri could start rt away
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    BSB, ya he could be a day 1 starter, but then again so could Truit, Nix, Hageman, Jernigan, Haha-Clinton Dix, and several other guys that could be there at 14.

The question becomes what is the drop off from rd 1 and rd 2-4 for the other positions you pass on.
  12. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    It absolutely can be turned around in 1 year if the RIGHT moves are made. I think that would involve resigning some of our own free agents though because too many new faces in the starting lineup will make it harder so we need to have guys that are familiar with each other but i do think there's a good chance of us having a good defense next year.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    449ß
    That is a GREAT point. If it's a total gut-job of the defense, then it's a rebuilding year there. Combine that with the possibility Mel won't play the same D anyway, due to the failure trying to play Lovie's D, and it could be a decent defense, or it could be a butt-ugly D to watch - again. And if it is, then we'll probably be adding a new DC the following year. More change. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. BTW, we still don't know how good Emery is at draft defensive players yet. Shea McClellin wasn't exactly a home run hit.
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    As a big FSU fan who has seen almost every game he played I would be estatic. He was consistent on dominance regardless of the opponent and would be a schematic fit. Great in both stuffing runs and rushing passer, and we need that very bad.

I'd love the pick.