Mel Tucker Background

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 8, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +589 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,215 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    He can set his sights wherever he wants, but he has to actually have success or they will continue to be goals and not realities.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +589 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    Very true, he seems to have pretty strong roots though, Belicheck / Crennell, Saban, Del Rio along with others
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,215 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    yeah... those actually are good creds. That will get you in the door. To stay in the room, you need to show something. If he fails this year the door will close and he's going to be on the wrong side.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Tucker should be just fine. We all know the injuries played a big part of last year, whether or not some want to admit it. If he gets upgrades like Kromer got, we will see top half defense.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +589 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    454ß
    I am not proclaiming to be very knowledgeable on his teams but it appears he has never had the players he is about to have. His pedigree is solid so it should be an interesting year. The first 3 games last yr before the injury monkey jumped on us we were pretty solid an in the top 7 or so for many defensive categories ( team defense for yards allowed, rush yds allowed, takeaways, and interceptions). With the current players there is no reason we should not be a top 10 defense and potentially a top 5. Our schedule is tougher this year, at least historically the teams we play generally our pretty good. I guess if you want to win the Super Bowl playing tougher teams through the year is a positive and the defense appears to have the players so it should be a fun to watch this thing unfold.
  7. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    its make or break season for Tucker injury bug bit him last year. But over all it was ugly perfect storm maybe bit of karma whatever evil witch doctor Urlacher hired probably so. I would have rather just had him install his own system last year, but Understand too that Not sure phil wanted switch from old system last year either think was kinda compromise hoping defense would hold up one more year but that just my 2 cents.

Still not convinced Tucker is that guy who can adjust when things start to turn ugly. Just hope they don;t hand cuff him again either let him run a system based on players and talent he has. If that old cover 2 so be it, some 4-3 / hybrid whatever whole different change over from last year def Players. I am expecting atleast top 15 D might be unrealstic but expect offense be top 5, shooting for the stars maybe but I can dream.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    I'm gonna pray that he does well this year for two reasons. 1) I'm a huge Bears fan and I NEVER want to see a pathetic defense like that ever again, and 2) If he gets fired I do not want him up in Madison fucking up my Badgers. :shoot:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,215 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    That is one of my basic critcisms of Tucker, but then the counter-argument is how does he adjust when he does not have quality players. Then the counter-argument is that new players were brought in. They are not quality because they are not progressing under him. And on and on. The bottom line is results. So far they have not been good. He has some people that I think are more capable of making the adjustments. What I don't want to see is better people around him masking his shortcomings. I hope that Emery has his eyes wide open and that the right decisions get made one way or another this year and these questions are behind us once and for all after this season.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    With the hiring of Paul Pasqualoni as the D-Line coach, we have an easy interim DC if there are continuing problems on defense. Pasqualoni has been DC for Dallas and Miami. Most recently he was HC at UConn. So he could easily assume the role of DC in case Tucker does not work out.

And with all the moves by Emery over the last couple of years, I am sure that Phil will not hesitate to pull the trigger on this if he thinks it is warranted.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,664 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,119ß
    I'll give him some grace on at least one point and that is that he was saddled with a very inexperienced LB coach last year. That won't be the case this year so if the younger players aren't developing we may have picked the wrong guys. Linebacking is and always has been a forte of any Bears defense and it was pathetic last year. How much the defense improves especially against the run will rest of their shoulders. And as chuckster points out hiring Pasqualoni not only helps the DLine but it brings in the type of guy we need and who it always seemed Lovie would avoid. Coach P as they been calling him has the credentials to be a DC should Tucker not step up to the plate this year.

The 2013 personnel problems were obvious and no one can accuse Emery of taking half measures to insure that doesn't happen again. He's brought in front line starters and experienced depth for the line and retained key starters and core backups there and almost everywhere else as well. This year Tucker should have to release guys who would have started here last year and will probably play elsewhere after they are released. There are no more excuses to be had based on lack or talent OR depth. What hasn't been adequately dealt with yet will be in the draft or later in the summer as players are waived elsewhere. It's apparent that if he sees a guy who might be an upgrade at any position if he can get the guy for an affordable price he'll sign him. He's not gonna be caught short of players again.

The footnote to all of this is can anyone even come close to imagining these kind of moves being made while JA and Lovie were here? I'm not sure who was driving the mediocrity train but given the moves Lovie is making down in TB I think it was more Jerry than him and it was the old go along to get along deal. Many of those late season fades were due to injuries, fatigue, and not having enough quality depth. I can't even recall JA ever reaching out for so many FA in so many different positions as Emery has or constantly looking to add good competition across the board like this. No, we got guys like Frank Omiyale, Roy Williams and Vernon Gholston, Adam Archuleta and Brandon Meriweather who were on their last stop before exiting the NFL. They weren't even has beens. A few of them were never wases.

I don't like some of the moves Emery has made but I can't find fault with any of this. He rebuilt an OLine in one year through FA and the draft and he's pretty much done the same with the DLine plus retained key players at other positions and locked Cutler up on a very accommodating deal for both sides. And all of this was done without creating unmanageable cap situations. We're lucky Jerry Jones isn't it town trying to figure out how he's doing it or offering Cliff Stein interests in his gas and oil wells to come work for him. When the guy sees a problem he rolls up his sleeves and gets it worked out. I admire that in him.

Tucker used his get out of jail free card already and he knows he won't get another one so I expect much bigger and better things from his defense this year.
  12. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    THIS ^^^ !!!

I don't blame Tucker for everything that went on last year. But he must perform this year or go.

In retrospect, the decision to attempt to maintain as much of the 2012 defense may have been partially to blame as well. As I recall, they started off trying to keep Marinelli and his staff. When that didn't work out I thought they started to assemble staff as they found out people were not staying, almost piecemeal. I could be wrong on this as I am relying totally on memory (and at my age it isn't the most reliable) This was coupled with Emery's focus on the Offense. So I can see a situation where the back office didn't think they had to worry about the defense and put total focus on the offense. Or maybe it was a calculated risk by Emery and possibly Trestman and it went terribly wrong. I am not trying to excuse Tucker because it was his defense to coach and rightly or wrongly it should be his ass on the line if it does not perform.

Just my $0.02

Is it time for the draft yet???!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    557ß
    how did he use his get out of jail free card? he planned on getting all his star D players hurt?

The amount of stupid in that statement is as mind boggling as someone saying Shea is a 3 down 4-3 DE.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +418 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    To be fair, Phair(see what I did there?) was only an assistant d-line coach previously...right? I think the coaching of those two positions contributed a lot to our problems. Obviously I also think the talent level was a problem as well. Also, I would caution, while our depth has improved, we still need some more parts on the line and in the secondary in my opinion. We need another DT, another CB and a safety. That should be addressed in the draft...but thats always a crap shoot.

Also, Archuleta was a Lovie guy, not a JA guy.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +418 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Yeah, his get out of jail free card would be if our whole defense stayed healthy and sucked and he was retained...that would be a get out of jail free card.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,654 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    557ß
    Exactly Butkus, an I don't think he gets one. Last year was just a non grade on a pass fail course b/c of unforseen circumstances.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    The buck stops with Mel regarding the 2014 defense. Will there be serious injury woes on defense again this year? Yes. This is the NFL and injuries to key players are a way of life. I guarantee you that key starters on defense will get injured. Maybe (hopefully) not as many as last year, but enough that some will make excuses if Mel's defense under-performs.

I'm hoping for the best.

But if the defense is in the lower third of the NFL this year then Mel needs to be kicked to the curb. In the end you are either a winner or a loser. Mel's been handed everything he needs to perform well this year as our DC. Let's see what he does with the talent Emery has handed him.
    • Like Like x 4
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +418 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    So if you have a heart attack because you didn't do a thing your doctor told you to do in regards to your heart health does the buck stop with him?

Injuries are a way of life...but theres injuries that cost a player a game or two, and theres injuries that cost a player a majority of the season, and they are quite different and have quite different effects on a teams performance. To ignore that is silly. To pretend thats not the truth is disingenuous.
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    I'm fine with giving Mel a fresh opportunity with a more powerful roster this year. And I think (hope) he's going to show us he's a fine coach. But I'm a "results oriented" person in life. At some point you're either a winner or a loser in my book. We've had a small army of coaches get the excuses over the past 20 or so years. We want so badly to believe they're actually good coaches who've had some bad luck. It's a pretty big list on the Bears (and Cubs for that matter). But eventually we realize they actually are poor coaches, and they get fired. I'm not labeling Mel a bad coach yet. But if he doesn't perform this year then yes, I will be wanting him kicked to the curb. It's all about winning with me. In the end, you're either a winner - or a loser. I have very little patience with people who under-perform.

Regarding injuries. I believe most fans understand that injuries - to starters - are a way of life. The better coaches find ways to win and perform at a high level anyway. We will have starters go down to serious injuries this year. It's the way it is. And hey, if you want to believe otherwise, that's fine. Good for you. Seriously. I'm wired differently, I'm all about results.

On a positive note the Cubs are only 4 games out of first place so far. Maybe this is our year :-)
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +418 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I'm all about results as well, I also recognize that life does not occur in a vacuum. We've gone over this time and again. No team that faced the injuries we faced on defense achieved any level of success...no matter who their coach was. That includes the Packers who you like to bring up a lot because the only impact defensive starter they lost for a meaningful period of time was Morgan Burnett. We didn't just lose starters, we lost back up's, we had a key back up retire prior to the season, etc, etc. Now if the defense stays healthy this year and it under performs, by all means, fire the guy. But if it doesn't, like I said, thats like firing your doctor because you had a heart attack after not following any of his advice. Talent drives the bus...I don't care who your coach is. This idea that coaches can make woefully bad talent into winners is a pipe dream and a myth. If they could Belicheck would have been a winner in Cleveland, Parcells a winner in Dallas and on and on.

You know why the Cubs are bad every year? Not because their coaches stink, their players stink!
    • Like Like x 1