Mel Tucker Background

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 8, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    BiH, everything I heard was how good of a communicator he was. It's why I have faith that he should do okay, don't know it and we'll see this year. But I also liked the blitzes he ran when mostly healthy, and how he was using Peppers instead of just rushing all the time, he wanted Pepp and Shea to rush inside and try and create havoc like w/the DJ/Anderson blitz. And Pepp was good at it, but apparently didn't like others getting the highlights.
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    There is no way Tucker CAN'T improve with the influx of FA, starters returning from injury, and draft picks this season. What it comes right down to is what standard Emery and Trestman hold Mel to. Is it having a "just good enough" defense or is it getting a once top 5 defense of not long ago back to prominence in a league that just proved once again that defense wins championships? I would tend to think it's the latter.

The number one thing I'll be looking for this season is how fast Tucker can adapt and make adjustments. He should have the flexibility now to counter what the other team is doing or at least address it. I will also be interested to see if he employs a hybrid defense if at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    SFB, I don't think the team could expect him to have a top 5 D when they have so much money invested in the O. But I don't think it's going to be a "just good enough either" .
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    Excellent post and my thoughts exactly. I don't see why we can't have a top D regardless of what we have invested in the O. None of our D guys are breaking the bank including Allen. As a matter of fact, we are probably close to our spending from when we had a top 5 D (I think but not sure). People like Urlacher, Melton and Peppers were earning big money and they are not here any more. Not saying we will have a top 5 D, but I don't see any real barriers, especially if we get one or two additional D difference makers in the draft. If we have the cupbords full of talent, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask the coaches to realize that ability.

Definitely going to be an interesting season!!
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Didn't say he should Ric but getting back to prominence in top 10-12 isn't out of the question nor is striving to have a top rated D imo.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    I don't think it's out of the question, just not this year, I'm guessing 15-20(depending on health) and maybe the year after try and get a top 10-15. Not saying they'll rest on that, but I think they'll be happy.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    Boy, I hope you're wrong. Maybe I'm being unreasonable. I am looking at last year more of an abberation (Tuckeration ? LOL) and thinking it should not have been that bad, so not looking to rebound from the bottom as mush as I am hoping to go from where we should have been (mid pack) to where I hope to be (at least top 10)
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    You bring up some good points. I think some folks believe we can win on offense alone. But I figure a team needs to strive for overall excellence in all areas, rather than being one-dimensional. Sure, one component of a team will be better than the others, and that's fine. But "giving up" on one component of the team by thinking you can't be good on offense, defense and special teams is flawed thinking. I agree with you BIH, I don't see any real barriers to having a rock solid defense here in Chicago under Marc Trestman. I like to think he's a good head coach, and not just a one-trick pony like Lovie Smith who only understood one component of the game, (defense). Trestman will get the D up to speed too, to compliment a solid offense. If Mel can do this for Trestman, great. If not, then he will be gone after the season ends. I'm confident of that.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    I'm hoping top 10, but I'm not expecting it, still to much turn over and to much youth/questionmarks. Seriously Shea is likely the starting SAM, that's a huge questions, we have 2 S's that are average to bad, and neither are who we had last year, big question, the DC is still a question, DJ's ability to stay healthy is a question, and who are the lb's backups?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    It's too early in the day to be slurring your words BIH. :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    I want to avoid the Friday night rush!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    Ric:

You may well be right, but I hope not. I love my D, and I'd like to see some good D again.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    I think you are right. The Tucker decision lasted at least a few weeks if my feeble memory is correct. It was not a slam dunk. You bet they are watching the situation for signs that they made the right decision. I don't think they will hesitate to pull the trigger if they need to.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    To make it all the way back up to the top-10 would require the cookie to crumble pretty much perfectly, I agree.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    I don't think the cookie was that badly broken. I think the problems stemmed from coaching.
    The O went to a top 2 offense with the right people and coaching in place after an injection of new talent.
    I am still not sure that Tucker is the right guy, but he is getting some pretty good people. Some impact players have left (Melton, Peppers), but by the time the draft is over, I hope that we can argue that we have more talent incoming than has left. As was posted already, I think that there is no way Tucker can screw this up. He just needs to get out of the way. If the team continues to look lost out there in terms of being in the wrong place and communications for formations with some players thinking one scheme and others another, then we know it won't get fixed until Tucker is gone. But I just think despite the product on the field, not that much is broken. I might be the only one to feel that way.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,212 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    I sympathize, BiH, as I was no Tucker apologist last year either. But...to be fair....he did have to contend with a slew of key injuries to 1st team personnel. I do agree that it was disappointing from coaching perspective to see repeated confusion on the field week after week after week and to see rookies like Bostic in particular seemingly show no improvement from start to finish of the season. The positional coaches at DL and LB took the fall for that but there won't be any more excuses come September.

IF we can stay reasonably healthy on D and
    IF we can put together a solid draft with 2 new contributors + depth coming in and
    IF players like Shea and Houston and Mundy and Young can meet/exceed expectations

....then yeah Tucker shouldn't be able to screw it up unless he's truly incompetent. But there's a lot of IFS there. I'm optimistic and hopeful but that's a tall order. I'd be ecstatic if we got back into the top-10 that quickly.
  17. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Yeah but if we extrapolate that data and project it over a 162 games season they'll finish 72 games out. Ah well, just wait 'til next year. LOLOL
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    It's an excellent analysis and leads us right back to the question many have been asking. Was it the personnel or as it Tucker or a little of both. If he didn't have such a piss poor track record of creating pressure and getting sacks everywhere he's been I'd be more likely to come to the conclusion that it was a lack to talent and depth but his past tells a different story.

So now he has Jared Allen playing RDE and he's a high motor pass rushing machine. Houston at LDE and Young as a swing DE should both be more productive when playing opposite Allen and if Izzy still has as little of the old magic left he can cause disruptions, bat down passes and get a few sacks. Now add to that a good inside rush from the NT and a DT I hope might be Donald and if he and Pasqualoni can't get a great pass rush out of that front four then there is something wrong with Tucker's schemes.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    That's what I'm thinking too.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Let us have our dreams for now though. We're only 4 games out of first and as Lovie would say, "There's a lot of football (I mean baseball) left to play" :-)

Of course we're only 7 games into the season and already 4 games out of 1st place. Lovie would say he liked our chances though :-)
    • Like Like x 2