Mel Tucker Background

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,380ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Probably me more than you. At this point, I see nothing to tell me Mel is any good and until I do I guess I am entrenched. But I will say that I am really open to and even more important - hopeful that I'm wrong.

2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,028ß
    Couple of points...what could Tucker have done during the season regarding the position coaches? Also, Tucker did not put out that product. Those players were given to him, and then they got hurt. He has no control over that. All he controls is scheme and play call...and we know he didn't even have full say over scheme because he had to run Lovies system to keep the boys happy.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,764ß
    Well remember I never said he was good, merely he gets an incomplete b/c not even Lovie could have kept that ship afloat last year, even w/BU and Izzy. Mainly b/c there is nothing that makes me think that BU would have stayed healthy last year and Izzy would have still been sitting behind Shea playing the Bass role; but Bass played pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,380ß
    Certainly fair enough

• Like Like x 1
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    944ß
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bearsinhouston

DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,380ß
    dahuckster -- thanks. good article. There are valid points in there both for Tuckers fault and his defense. The ones where he faults Tucker are pretty much in line with mine --

"But there are elements that Tucker had direct control over, which he should be judged by and held accountable for, specifically in-game adjustments, communication and pressure packages — the last of which has plagued Tucker his entire tenure as an NFL defensive coordinator."

he seemed no good at ajustments, communications was a disaster and we saw that several times, and the packages he used didn't seem to be very creative and were sometimes too repetitive and predictable, and a general lack of pressure with any group he has coached. In the last game where we had healthy veterans, however, it seemed that we did our best, so an argument can be made that he was on the upswing. The end statement is pretty much where we are all at right now --

"By bolstering the pass rush with a new group of defensive ends, Tucker will finally have an opportunity to work with legitimate talent up front. Thus, next season will prove if the poor output has simply been a byproduct of a lack of talent and not scheme or a combination or both."

Everyone is taking a wait and see approach, but I still say that I think it will be better, but might not be what it could be under an aggressive and creative defensive architect. I hate to be second best at anything. Like I said... I just want a hard hitting attacking defense that other teams don't want to face. A defense that just plains stops you or beats you up trying.

7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,764ß
    So a few things, i"m not done reading yet
    1) good find Dahuckster.
    2) Bears were playing a 4-3 under which means the DT is next to the RDE, not the other way. If they stick w/this that means Allen is the RDE and if he gets his way Ratliff is the DT.
    3) As they point out looking at Tuckers past is a mixed bag, ya he didn't have success but he also didn't have talent, not sure why he's been highly sought after as a possible HC(prior to chicago DC) I see nothing but incompletes leaning to bad
    4) This is not a team looking to just get pressure from the front 4 while the back 7 sits back to stop long plays. They'll blitz multple players from multiple positions. This is a very complex D, not a simple Cover 2 so inexperience or lack of understanding is going to haunt it for better or worse.

okay so i'll finish up, it was shorter then I thought.

5) the team b/c the front four couldn't get it done was forced to limit their looks(it doesn't say it, but I will) b/c their were to many inexperienced and too many lack of talent players on the roster, to mostly a mug look. This limited the effectiveness of the look and made it easier to prepare for.
    6) This is the key, this year if the team is MOSTLY healthy there is no reason not to see a HUGE uptick in the D, it's by far the most talent Tucker has ever had to work with, which isn't saying much b/c he's never really had any previously, but this is going on a near dream for a DC, Allen, Ratliff on the line, 2 young up and comers there also, Briggs DJ at the LB and 2 young guys to fill out the other LB, 2 pro bowl CB's and..well then there is the cluster puck at the S position, but it's got to be better then last year. Considering this is a O team now, that is a hell of a lot of talent to work with.

#37 riczaj01, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,028ß
    Good article. A couple of things...I love how he illustrated a coverage in which Conte rotated down, while Wright replaced him, which disproves another posters constant claims that the Free Safety is always the last line of defense in a defense. Also, perhaps Tucker blitzed less because the replacements for said players just couldn't handle the schemes? As a DC I'm not going to run something my players are not capable of executing. Thats about all I can think of. I know some people will say "the replacements should have been able to execute it...that falls on the coach", and to that I'd say not so fast. Each player has a skill set that allows them to do certain things. When a group of players with certain skill sets get lost to injury it's not a given their replacements will be able to execute what they can as well if at all. For instance, on offense, the play calling would change DRASTICALLY if Forte, Jefferey, and Marshall went down(the equivalent to what happened on D). There is no way it could be run the same way AT ALL.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bearsinhouston

DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,380ß
    good assessment, and pretty fair too. I had the same thoughts on #3. Really not sure either. Maybe they saw something I don't, but I want to be fair with the guy. I want to see what he can do now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    944ß
    I thought it was balanced and objective. And I am glad to have contributed something.